Chapter 37

Protector

"Babe..."

Chanyeol groaned at his unresponsive boyfriend.

"Yah..! You've been staring at your textbook for at least 3 hours! Take a break, Baek."

The latter shooed him away. "Stop bothering me, Yeol.."

Chanyeol pulled at the roots of his hair. With finals coming up soon, Baekhyun was more stressed than ever. Unlike the taller male, Baekhyun lacked the ability to remember hardly anything related to his school subjects and it didn't help when you had a giant constantly prioritizing your time.

"I'm bored! And you said you'd stop after Chapter 17.." Chanyeol pouted.

Baehyun's eyebrows furrowed in concentration. "And you said you'd go find Jongdae if you got bored."

Chanyeol put his hand on Baekhyun's thigh and wrapped his other around his boyfriend's waist. To say he was happy with Baekhyun by his side everyday was an understatment. Baekhyun had become his obssession. He was always eager to wake up to see Baekhyun, happy to eat his meals with his adorable boyfriend, and more than glad to walk Baekhyun to his classes. His favorite time of the day was study period and after class, where they would go back to either of their dorm rooms to cuddle before dinner.

"You know I would never leave you." Chanyeol sweet talked.

Baekhyun continued his mumbling as he read the book. When he didn't respond for another five minutes, Chanyeol's hand on his thigh rose slightly. Baekhyun swallowed. 

"C'mon Baek. I'll help you study later." Chanyeol's tone gave Baekhyun goosebumps. He was being so suggestive yet innocent at the same time.

"You said that y-yesterday," the hand went higher up and closer to a certain area. "Stop bothering me, Yeol..!"

Chanyeol huffed, releasing Baekhyun from his hold. Their position on Baekhyun's bed made it uncomfortable to cuddle, much to Chanyeol's dismay. Baekhyun couldn't lie, he didn't like the cold feeling without Chanyeol's body warmth around him.

"I guess then I'll go to back to my-" Just when Chanyeol was about to get up, Baekhyun reached over and pulled him into a soft kiss.

Chanyeol's eyes widened but they soon fluttered shut and his lips curved into a smirk as he kissed the smaller male back. He slowly eased himself back down and pulled Baekhyun with him. Just when he was about to deepen the kiss, the door burst open and Kyungsoo came in.

"Time to go, Chanyeol." He says, completely unphased by the sight in front of him. He only had one rule: as long as it wasn't on his bed, he didn't care.

"What the hell, Soo..That was the first time Baekhyun actually looked at me after 3 hours!" Chanyeol grumbled, pulling himself off the bed.

"Technically, his eyes were closed, or should've been. when you guys were kissing." Kyung argued.

Chanyeol frowned. "Whatever. Why did you come back to early? I'm surprised Jongin didn't come with you."

Chanyeol grabbed his backpack from the chair at Baekhyun's desk and scooped up his textbooks. 

"Didn't you hear? They instructed all students to return to their own listed dorms."

"What for?" Baekhyun asked, closing his books and tossing them onto his desk.

"I'm not sure." Kyungsoo shrugged.

"I'll be going now then. See you later, Baek." Chanyeol smiled at his boyfriend before waving to Kyungsoo and making his way to the dorm right across the hall.

After Chanyeol closed the door, Kyungsoo turned to Baekhyun with a more serious expression.

"Baekhyun, Luhan told me."

Baekhyun blinked. "Told you what?"

The senior walked over to his bed and sat across from Baekhyun.  "About the snow."

"Oh..that.." The junior bit his lip. "Do you know anything about what or why it's there?"

Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair. "Well..I've never actually seen snow within the forcefield, other than with Minseok and a few other frost novaist create the ice. But this tells me that this isn't a prank. As Luhan probably explained, the forcefield is supposed to create a different world separated from the outside world. I'm guessing that there's some sort of crack in it that is causing the two worlds to leak into each other."

 Baekhyun frowned. "Then..does that mean that our novas are weakening?"

Kyungsoo stared at the wall in deep thought.

"Wait..that actually might be true..! Remember when I was carrying the stack of books and I dropped it?"

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "Then-"

"-if this continues, our powers will cease to exist. The school itself will disappear." Kyungsoo finishes with an uneasy breath.
-
"Are you sure? There's no one named Min Ah?" Kris asked once more only to receive a shake of the head. The old woman sighed.

"I'm sorry, no. Is there perhaps a photo of her?"
Kris pursed his lips. Any photos taken inside the forcefield did not exist in the outside world. He shook his head.

"Alright then, thank you for your time." Kris bowed before exiting the small shop. The principal had given him a list of locations in which the missing student would be found.

Unfortunately, Kris had already gone to 3 of the 5 places and no one knew of Song Min Ah.

Kris tried to think of what this student would look like but no particular person came to mind. Why was she no where to be found?
-
The next morning, students chattered about as if it were any school day. After dinner was served late, tired and sleepy students hurried back to their dorms.


"Thanks to Minseok's obession with neatness, I can't find my study sheet and guess who is going to fail that finals tomorrow." Luhan groaned, slumping down at the breakfast table.

"It wasn't my fault! Your papers were everywhere and I was only trying to organize them for you." Minseok pouted.

Luhan sighed. "I know.."

Jongdae picked at his kimchee. "I heard this year they're having finals in NP as well."

Baekhyun's eyes widened and Kyungsoo leaned in closer.

"W-What?!"

"Yeah, apparently it's a new test. Unfortunately, Juniors and Seniors have to take this test." He continued, eating a pickled radish.

"Phew! That's not for me." Jongin joked with a sigh of relief.

"What e-exactly is the test?" Baekhyun asked as casually as possible.

Jongdae cleared his throat. "Well, there's a catch to this. From my sources, I was told that all prohibition spells will be lifted so people even like Chanyeol and I can actually use our powers for once."

Baekhyun's eyes widened. Does that mean mine will be activated too?!

"A-And we can't opt out?" Baekhyun asks. Jongdae raised his eyebrow.

"Who and why would you want to? They're basically letting you experiment with your novas!" Jongdae says with an excited smile. Baekhyun on the other hand couldn't help but feel restless. He looked to Chanyeol for help but the giant didn't seem to notice.

"I mean..what if someone gets hurt or something gets out of control-"

Suddenly, the windows at one side of the cafeteria cracked and the glass shards burst everywhere. Students yelled out and screamed out of fear and shock. Baekhyun ducked, feeling the glass bits hit him and land on the table. Some students hid under the table or ran out of their seats. The strong gust of wind blew napkins off the tables and even blew some food off the plates.

"What the hell was that!?" Jongin exclaimed, his hand in Kyungsoo's.

"That wind..." Joonmyeon frowned with a worried expression. "That was no ordinary wind."

Minseok blinked. "You mean it was a nova?"

Luhan's eyes widened. "Nova? But Sehun is the only-" He quickly turned his head to where Sehun would have been sitting but the younger male was no where to be seen. "-wind nova.."

Baekhyun stared at the glass. "How could a gust of wind have been so strong to break the glass windows?! And out of no where.."

Chanyeol reached over to brush from glass off Baekhyun's clothing.

"Are you hurt?" He asked and Baekhyun shook his head.

"No, you?" Having the both of them at the end of the table, closest to the window than the others, most of the glass ended up on the table and the ground around them.

Chanyeol, too, shook his head and breathed a sigh of relief.

"But that doesn't make any sense." Luhan ran a hand through his hair. "Sehun is in the same category as Jongdae, meaning they both have prohibition spells."

"Lu, there's no guarantee that that wind was done by Sehun. We'll hear about this later." Minseok reassured. Luhan still frowned at the thought.

"Why would Sehun use his powers? Or rather even how!?" Luhan didn't understand.

"That's the thing," Joonmyeon spoke up. "I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sehun."

-

"You alright?" Kyungsoo chuckled as Baekhyun's eyes drooped. He had taken two finals and now all he wanted was to return to his dorm room for a good nights sleep. He limited his time with Chanyeol to actually study his tests but it only stressed him out more.

"Yeah.." Baekhyun nodded weakly as they made their way to the cafeteria for dinner. 

"You can always skip dinner." The senior suggested. 

"I couldn't!" Baekhyun frowns. "If I skip dinner then Chanyeol might too and its bad for his health. Even if I don't eat, at least I can sit with him and keep Chanyeol company."

Kyungsoo patted the latters back. "Sometimes I think you're just too good for him."

Baekhyun smiled softly but pulled his jacket closer to himself. The air felt chillier than usual. 

"Hyung, aren't you cold?" 

Kyungsoo put his hands in his pockets. "A little."

"Let's hurry up and get inside." Baekhyun says as they walk a little faster to the cafeteria.

The two made it upstairs to their usual table but Kyungsoo was the first to notice that one person was missing. 

"Where's Jongin?" 

Jongdae looked around, "Dunno."

It felt weird to sit down without his boyfriend already by his side. Jongin usually teleported to their table and was always there before Kyungsoo. The seat beside him looked too empty.

10 minutes later, someone was shivering as they walked up the stairs and plopped into the seat beside Kyungsoo. 

"H-H-Hyung..!" Jongin wrapped his arm around his boyfriend in an attempt to warm up.

"Jongin! Why are you so cold? What happened?" Kyungsoo held Jongin's cold hand. 

"I..I just couldn't teleport.." Jongin says with a hunt of frustration in his voice. 

"What?" Jongdae stopped eating. Everyone turned to Jongin's end of the table. 

"Jongin, what are you talking about?" Kyungsoo asked. 

Baekhyun bit his lip and looked to Luhan. 

"Usually if I teleport, I just think of where I want to go and focus my energy throughout my body. Then, just like that my nova takes me there. But..I was at my dorm room and when I tried to use my nova, nothing happened."

Luhan looked away and his eyes met with Baekhyun's. They were thinking the same thing. 

Kyungsoo, too, knew why this might have been happening  but why it made no sense. He, too, had been a victim of this strange occurrence. And now it was Jongin. 

"How about now? Can you teleport now?" Joonmyeon asked.

Jongin shrugged. "I walked here and not to mention that it's freezing cold outside."

"Cold?" Minseok had a surprised look on his face. 

"Yeah, Kyungsoo and I felt it before. But seeing how Jongin looks now, I think the winds got a lot stronger." Baekhyun commented. 

"Jongin, try getting from here to the other side of the room. Somewhere over there." Kyungsoo said, pointing to an area not too far away. 

Unwillingly pulling away from his boyfriend's hold, Jongin thought of where he wanted to go but his body was still in the same spot. 

"It's not working. It feels like part of me is missing.." Jongin said with worry in his voice.

"What about that test then? The nova test?" Minseok's face dropped. "What will they do when you find out you can't even use your nova?" 

Joonmyeon shook his head. "I'm sure it's not gone permanently. Jongin, maybe you just..overused it recently."

"Well," Jongin thought. "I have been teleporting alot from my dorm to the library.."

"Try again tomorrow after a night of rest." Joonmyeon says. "I'll ask Yixing about it tomorrow."

 


 Leave a comment! What is happening to the school? Do you think the wind was Sehun? What will happen to Jongin?!

Featured comment: sheakaluvsjungjihoon: Chapter 37: *sobs uncontrollably* SULAY!!!!!!! I forgive Yixing since he did what he thought was best to protect Joonmyun and I really hope they get their together now lol also I still want Luhan to make Sehun suffer I mean he was so mean to him he can't just forgive him for the things he said to him!!

ckat_09: Chapter 36: Oh no, Baek's nova is going out of control :O Maybe his mere presence was actually the reason why the force field around the school is weakening. Uh-oh. Hopefully he'll be able to fully control it soon. Wishing for more HunHan TAT Thanks a lot for this update authornim!

The long weekend is here so I'll try to update again by Tuesday or Wednesday! <3 :)