Chapter 25

Protector

"I don't want to do this anymore!" Baekhyun slumped at his desk, firmly shutting his science textbook. Chanyeol snickered.

"We have a test tomorrow and you're not going to study?"

"I hate science! It makes no sense! I can't remember any of the vocabulary." The shorter male whines and checks the time on his phone. "Besides, I've been at this for 2 hours!"

"Compared to the amount of time you play games on your phone, 2 hours is not a lot." Chanyeol comments, only to receive a death glare from Baekhyun.

"Well I don't see you studying."

Chanyeol goes back to his book. "Because I don't need to. I'm sure you're aware of my status."

Baekhyun groaned. Of course he was aware. Everyone was. Chanyeol was the smartest student in the school. He could remember a whole essay after reading it just once. He could recite it word for word, without a single miss, if he wanted to.

"Whatever. You're just a show off." Baekhyun threw himself onto his bed. Chanyeol sat at Kyungsoo's desk. The senior was out with his boyfriend, as usual now, so Chanyeol invited himself over to study with Baekhyun.

"By the way, how's the project with Sehun?" Baekhyun scrolled through his music list. "I was so surprised when you said you'd do it with him."

Chanyeol shrugged. "Just thought I should help the kid."

Baekhyun scoffs. "Yeah right. You should have given Luhan the golden opportunity. His eyes were basically shining stars."

"You're the one who kept pushing me to be nice!" Chanyeol huffed.

Baekhyun laughed. "Okay, fine.."

"The project went well. He actually likes me more than I thought he did."

Baekhyun nods. "Sehun's a cute kid."

Chanyeol's eyes were scanning the words in the book but his brain wasn't processing it. The ends of his lips slightly curved into a frown.

"Why is he a cute kid? What about me?"

Baekhyun tilted his head to see Chanyeol and raised his eyebrow. "You? You're a grump old man."

Chanyeol didn't like that response. He wanted Baekhyun to think that he could be adorable.

But at the same time..he called me a man. He thinks of Sehun as a kid, but he sees me as a man..

Chanyeol didn't say anything for a while, too stuck in his own thoughts.

"Hey, Yeol, can I watch you write a song?"

Chanyeol looked up in confusion.

"Why...?"

Baekhyun shrugged, putting his phone on his chest.

"Dunno. I need a bit of inspiration every now and then...The one you sang to me last time was so good.."

Chanyeol blushed. His music was a private thing, something he did in his own time. To have Baekhyun compliment him made his cheeks redden and he fought a smile from appearing on his lips.

"Sure."

Chanyeol folded the corner of his book and put it down before exiting the room. He came back a few minutes later with a tiny notebook. It had a smooth leather cover and there were some papers stuffed inside between the pages. It had a very organic and artistic feel to it. Baekhyun's face brightened at the sight of it. He couldn't wait to hear what else Chanyeol had wrote.

"Don't get too excited, Baek. My lyrics are really cheesy.."

Baekhyun patted the spot next to him and Chanyeol awkwardly slotted himself into the small space beside the shorter male. His legs went slightly off the bed. In comparison to Baekhyun, Baekhyun's feet only reached to half of Chanyeol's calf.

"Have you been working on any songs?"

Chanyeol nodded. "There is one but the lyrics are still not completely decided."

Baekhyun waited patiently for Chanyeol to show him.

Once the page was opened up, Baekhyun held the precious book in front of him and read the lyrics out loud.

"Where am I? A place I dreamed of
The air I breathe out becomes a white cloud
Your clear eyes become the sky
The blue dreams endlessly spread out, flying
The happiness in a blue painting of a dream is in you
Forget the past when we didn’t know each other
You’re such a big blessing, heaven, I wanna stay by you forever
Tell me this isn’t a dream that’ll disappear or just pass by
Boy, you got me
Boy, you got me (Flying up) high high (Flying up)
How did you bring me here?
On top of the highest cloud
A dreamy reality, is this a dream?
This disoriented feeling, do you know?
When I wake up from this dream tomorrow morning
Will I forget how to fly, forever?
It’s like biting a tail, the worries are endless, but I found the answer in you
The black storm cloud of fear has disappeared
You’re such a big blessing, heaven, I wanna stay by you forever
Once again, once again, tell me you love me
Boy you got me.."

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun stared hard at the lyrics.

"Chanyeol..these lyrics are so beautiful.." Baekhyun says amazed but he looks over at the giant beside him. "I didn't know you were uh..into guys.."

Chanyeol pursed his lips and ran a hand through his hair. "Is it weird?" His heart feared such an early rejection. Would Baekhyun think he's disgusting? Would Baekhyun tell him to stay away from him?

Baekhyun immediately shook his head, "No, not at all. I completely respect your preference. I just thought..these lyrics.. they sounded as if you were writing to someone specific."

Chanyeol noticed how Baekhyun's voice slightly dropped at the end and all he wanted to do was tell him the truth.

I was. I was writing to you. About you.

"I tend to do that sometimes." Chanyeol states, hoping Baekhyun would brush it off.

"To be honest, hearing these lyrics make me rethink what kind of person you are, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're a pretty cold hearted person if you ask me. You're tall and intimedating..most of the time. You're the best and most powerful student in the entire school. And yet, you're able to write such a beautiful song. Not to mention you become unconscious when someone kisses y-"

"Yah!" Chanyeol raises his voice but there was an apparently redness on his cheeks.

Baekhyun laughed. "Sorry about that by the way. For kissing you."

Chanyeol tried to stop himself from leaning closer to Baekhyun's face. His eyes were so bright and his smile was so precious. His laughter was adorable and all Chanyeol wanted to do was reach out to him. Even he didn't know why he was able to touch Baekhyun to easily. Maybe it was because of their childhood history but once he realized that the Baekhyun in front of him was the same Baekhyun from his memories, Chanyeol wanted things to be different. He wanted Baekhyun to stay by his side forever. He wanted Baekhyun to be his. He wanted to protect Baekhyun from all harm and evil.

"Don't worry about it." Chanyeol mumbles. "I don't remember a bit of it anyway."

I wish I did.

Baekhyun nods, liking how comfortable their conversation was.

"Yeol.."

"Hm?"

Baekhyun bit his lip. "What do you think of your brother?"

Chanyeol couldn't tell where this was going. "He's just my evil step-brother."

Baekhyun hummed. "You two are really so different from each other."

Chanyeol poked Baekhyun's cheek, catching the shorter male's attention.

"But you still like me more."

Baekhyun looked away and stuttered. "T-That's because we're the same age, you idiot.."

Chanyeol closed his book. "Nah, I think you like me more because I'm obviously more handsome and I help you with your math homework."

Baekhyun playfull slapped Chanyeol's arm and scoffed. "Always so full of yourself."

Chanyeol slid off Baekhyun's bed, standing up to be much taller. "I'm going to head back now. Good luck with your studies."

Baekhyun nodded. "Alright. See you tomorrow."

Chanyeol waved his arm as he walked back over to the door and pulled it open. Just as he was about to leave, Chanyeol paused.

"Baek?"

The shorter male looked at him.  "What?"

"Don't tempt me too much." With that, Chanyeol closed the door gently, leaving Baekhyun blinking in confusion.

-

Over the next few weeks, Baekhyun found himself staring at Chanyeol for a few seconds longer than usual, wanting to make some sort of eye contact with the giant during class, and even invited himself over to Chanyeol's room after class ended.

"You're hanging around Chanyeol quite often nowadays." Kyungsoo casually comments as Baekhyun was just about to make it way out of their dorm room to the one across the hall. Just as he had been comfortably doing the whole week.

Baekhyun paused in his steps and bit his bottom lip. "Uh..yeah."

Kyungsoo continued to write in his notebook, copying down Joonmyeon's class notes, without even looking over at Baekhyun.

"If you guys are dating, you can just tell all of us..you know? Not that we don't know already but-"

"C-C-Chanyeol and I aren't dating!" Baekhyun's eyes widen as he loudly defends his and Chanyeol's friendship. Baekhyun felt embarrassed for stuttering but it wasn't true. He and Chanyeol weren't dating.

"I just assumed because you two are always together. It's scary how much you two remind me of Jongin and myself back then.. Except that neither of you are running away from each other." Kyungsoo laughed, finally sparing the horrified male a glance.

"Pft! I can spend a day without seeing Chanyeol!" Baekhyun spoke in a confident tone and Kyungsoo raised his eyebrow.  "In fact, I can spend a whole week without going over to his dorm!"

Kyungsoo blinked. "I didn't-"

"You know what?" Baekhyun marched over to his bed. "I'll show you that Chanyeol and I are two individual people. We have our own lives and we are definitely, completely, 100% not interested in each other romantically to be dating."

Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun flopped down and took out a book from his nightstand. "You don't have to-"

"Oh and don't worry. Chanyeol won't miss me at all!" Baekhyun said with much enthusiasm. "He's got a life too. Usually he waits for us to study together on Tuesdays, Thursdays and sometimes Fridays but it's okay. It's only me who needs to do the studying anyways-"

"Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo finally calls out, interrupting Baekhyun in his rant.

Baekhyun seems to snap out of his determination and blinked. "Yeah?"

Kyungsoo just laughed and shook his head. "Nevermind. You do what you gotta do. I just hope you don't mind Jongin over. After finding out that you're almost never here, he's been teleporting at random-"

Just as if cued,Jongin teleported to their room, talking as if he had been there all along holding a normal conversation. "Yo babe, you said we couldn't do it on your bed because it creaks, I understand that, so I thought, why don't we do it on Baekhyu--"

Baekhyun stares blankly at Jongin, who slowly turns around after feeling a gloomy presence behind him.

"Oh my holy squishy Kyungsoo--! B--B-Ba-Baekhyun!" Jongin chuckled nervously, mentally cursed himself for not noticing his hyung sooner.

"What did you say you were going to do on my bed?" Baekhyun asked with a straight face.

Jongin laughed awkwardly and nudged Kyungsoo for help but even the senior could only blush in embarrassment. He couldn't believe Jongin had just said that out loud to Baekhyun. 

"N-Nothing. Please don't kill me I swear I wasn't really going to!"

Baekhyun sighed and flopped on his bed, wondering how what would have happened to his precious bed if he had gone over to Chanyeol's.

Jongin sat on Kyungsoo's lap, wrapping his arms around the other's male's neck and proceeds to peck his face with his lips.

"Yah..." Kyungsoo pushes Jongin's chest gently. "Baek..hyun is-"

Jongin frowned when his boyfriend rejected his kissed before wrapping his arms tighter. Kyungsoo settled with his hands at Jongin's waist.

"By the way, Baekhyun, why are you still here?"

Baekhyun pulled out his headphones from his backpack. "Why would I not be? It's my room. Why are you here?"

"You're usually at Chanyeol's until you fall aslep and  Kyungsoo has to carry you back here..and your roommate is my boyfriend so I have a right to be here." Jongin says nuzzling his face into Kyungsoo's neck. He loved that Kyungsoo was strong enough to carry him, despite whatever position they were in. Yet, the senior was so adorable and huggable at the same time. 

"Well, get used to this because I'm not going to be going across for a whole week, or more. Chanyeol has a life too." Baekhyun huffed.

Jongin raised an eyebrow before looking at Kyungsoo. "Did the two have a fight?"

Kyungsoo just shook his head and stole a kiss from Jongin.

"Oh my god guys, get a room!" Baekhyun complained.

Jongin sighed. "This is going to be an extremely annoying week. Someone get please Byun Baekhyun a dose of Park Chanyeol."

Baekhyun put his headphones on and searched his music list for something to lull him to sleep.

"I think he's already had an overdose."

 


Hehehe Jongin and Kyungsoo.. Overdose, see what I did there? xD

Leave a comment! What song did Chanyeol 'write'? What did he mean by Baekhyun "tempting" him? What were Jongin and Kyungsoo going to do on Baekhyun's bed? xD Will Baekhyun's plan to avoid Chanyeol succeed?

Featured comment : technologic: I love chanhun so much wjwjdbdnskjsjsns I'm such chanhun trash low-key but I'm also baekyeol trash so I don't know who I am anymore oops but but but progress!! with baekhyun and chanyeol both which is a huge step forward and the project is going to help baekhyun realize his feelings more ohohoho this is exciting