Chapter 41

Protector

"Ow..." Baekhyun groaned in pain as he felt the cold forest floor under his body. His hands were slightly scraped and his ankle hurt.

"How the hell did I get here?" Baekhyun squinted as he pushed himself up to his feet, leaning against the trunk of a tall tree. If he remembered clearly, he was last in the school cafeteria and Minseok's nova was freezing the floors.

He looked around for any other students but he could only hear the birds chirping and the leaves rustling in the wind.

"C-Chanyeol?" He called out, cautiously taking a few steps forward. "J-Joonmyeon hyung..?"

Silence made Baekhyun's heart drop. He had to at least be somewhere on the school grounds. He contemplated on whether he should sit out and wait for someone to find him. Finding a large rock near by, Baekhyun sat down, wincing as his ankle rubbed against the cold stone.

"What even happened?" Baekhyun frowned, looking at his hands. He was still wearing the same clothes and the sun was still out. His head was spinning slightly but his body ached more.

Time seemed to run endlessly as he sat, waiting for something to happen. Baekhyun sighed and pushed himself off the rock. The sky was now darkening and he was bored out of his mind. He missed Chanyeol and he wanted to see Minseok and Luhan. He missed his friends and he wished that he had an explanation to what was happening.

"Baekhyun!"

Someone called out his name from a far distance. His eyes widened and he looked around.

"I'm over here!" he yelled back, swinging his arms just in case someone had been searching.

"Baekhyun?!" the voice called out again. Baekhyun tried to listen to where the voice was coming from. It was a familiar sound that gave him the slightlest home.

"Here! Over here!" He yelled out loud to no one in particular.

He spotted a few students to his right and made his best efforts to be spotted by the tree.

"He's over there!" It was Jongin's voice.

"Jongin!" Baekhyun called out as he watched the group approach him. Once they came close enough, Baekhyun breatheda sigh of relief to see Yixing and Kris with them.

"What are you doing out here, Baekhyun?" Yixing asked, helping Baekhyun walk. The younger male stumbled a bit before Kris quickly caught him.

Baekhyun pursed his lips. "I-I don't know."

Jongin looked at Baekhyun, trying not to feel hurt. "Joonmyeon hyung..he said you disappeared."

Baekhyun blinked and nodded. "I guess that happened..I found myself on the ground and my body hurt."

Yixing looked at Kris and gave him a knowing glance.

"Baekhyun, what's your nova?" Kris asked. Baekhyun tensed.

"Uhm- well," he looked to Yixing but the senior didn't give hima any help. "I-I..I can take things." He finished lamely, hoping Kris wouldn't pester him anymore.

"Take things? Such as what?"

Baekhyun swallowed. "Why-"

"Novas." Kris answered firmly. "You can take away novas."

"H-How-"

"You don't need to hide anymore." Yixing said calmly. "They all know."

Baekhyun's lips shut tightly. "I-I haven't..I didn't steal-"

Jongin stepped up and looked Baekhyun in the eye. "You did. You stole mine."

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "There's no way, I didn't-"

Suddenly everything clicked. There would have only been one anwer to how Baekhyun had ended up in the forest.

Teleportation.

"No..No I couldn't have!" Baekhyun shook his head before realizing the situation and shook Yixing's grip off him. "D-Don't touch me..!"

Yixing frowned. "Baekhyun, we're trying to help-"

"I can't take away your power. What is going to happen to Jongin?!" Baekhyun stared at the sophomore in horror.

"Jongin isn't the only person who has been affected." Kris commented and Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

"W-What...do you mean?"

Yixing closed his eyes, knowing that Baekhyun would only blame himself.

"It seems that Sehun being unconcious and Minseok's nova going out of control had something to do with your nova."

Baekhyun's knees weakened but Kris caught him quickly.

"What have I done? What did I do to hurt others?" Baekhyun's chest felt heavy with guilt and confusion.

"It's not your faul-"

"But it is!" Baekhyun stomped his foot. "It's because of my stupid powers, isn't it? If only I didn't have this.."

Kris sighed. "Wishing to not have your nova is like not wishing to have your arms or legs. It's a part of you that you're lucky to be born with and it makes you unique as a person. I mean, having his power allowed you to eventually meet Chanyeol, right?"

Baekhyun's eyes saddened. "I guess..Wait..Is Chanyeol- Did I-"

"You didn't. He still has his nova." Jongin reassured.

Baekhyun unconciously let out a breath of relief. "What do I do now?"

Kris put his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. "I would recommend you return to school. Don't try pushing others away, they're just worried about you, kiddo. Now, we'll just have to wait for the nova tests to begin..."

-

Baekhyun opened his dorm door, however the second he entered the room, his was attacked by a warm embrace. His face was pressed into someone's chest and the scent was too familiar for Baekhyun to reject.

"You're safe." Chanyeol's deep, calm voice made Baekhyun relax in his hold. "I thought I lost you, Baek. You have no idea how scared I was. I missed you so much yet I hated myself for doing something like that- I promise I'll never use my nova on you again. Even if you tell me to, I'll never."

Baekhyun's arms reached around the giant's slim waist. The gently tug warmed Chanyeol's heart.

"It's okay, Yeol..I heard from Yixing and Kris.." Baekhyun's voice came out slightly muffled so Chanyeol pulled away slightly.

"About?"

Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol's large hand and pushed up the sleeve of his hoodie. "..."

"Baek, it's not your fault-"

Baekhyun ran his fingers along the white dots, each one printed into his skin smoothly. "I'm sorry, Chanyeol.."

Chanyeol used both hands to cup Baekhyun's cheeks, forcing the shorter male to look up at him. "Don't ever blame yourself for this. I did this to myself and I don't want you to think you're hurting me. I'll be fine. We'll be fine."

Baekhyun leaned in and pressed his lips to Chanyeol's, holding their contact in place. It was a slow and gentle kiss, neither of them making a move to deepen it. Baekhyun pulled away slowly, leaving Chayeol wanting more.

"Yeol, Baekhyun is-" Kyungsoo paused as he entered the room, noticing couple already together. "-back."

"Hyung!" Baekhyun smiled as Kyungsoo closed the door and set his backpack on his desk.

"You're okay, right?"

Baekhyun nodded. "I hurt my leg a little but it'll be healed in no time. Yixing already numbed the pain."

Kyungsoo smiled. "That's good...I heard the nova tests are in two days."

Baekhyun pursed his lips. "T-Two days?"

"It's been moved up a couple days and I'm sure Kris has already told you about the situation.."

"He mentioned some of it..but I still don't understand. How will this nova test fix anything?"

Chanyeol sat down in Baekhyun's desk chair.

"The tear in the forefield is something that has never happened to our school before. Even Ms. Kim seemed pretty flustered by ths.." Kyungsoo comments.

"What going to happen if Jongin can't use his nova?" Baekhyun asked, feeling Chanyeol's fingers connect with his.

"It's not that it's complete gone." Chanyeol spoke up. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun looked at him. "I did some research a long time ago, when I was still curious about how my grandfather died..It turned out that theft novas drain the energy of the original novaist and take a copy of their nova. Basically, these white spots are out nova energy disppearing, making our powers weaker and weaker. When its close to depletion, Baekhyun's contact will steal the nova and gain the ability to use it for himself.."

Baekhyun frowned. "But..if I keep stealing your novas, won't this get out of control? There has to be someway I can stop myself..or at least return them?"

Kyungsoo shrugged. "There's not much infomation on this nova, considering that only your family have had this ability."

"I'm sure there's a way to undo this." Baekhyun sighed. "There has to be.."

"Don't worry about it too much for now. Get some rest. The staff are fixing the cafeteria for dinner so it'll be a while before we eat. Sleep." Chanyeol said, pushing Baekhyun towards his bed before getting up towards the door.

"What about you?" Baekhyun asked, feeling upset that Chanyeol was leaving already.

"I have to talk to Yixing about something. I'll see you later though."

Baekhyun nodded, waving him off before Kyungsoo went into the bathroom for a shower. Baekhyun pulled his blankets over his body and closed his eyes, feeing his body relax at the comfort of his bed.

-

Baekhyun leaned in connecting his lips with Chanyeol's. He loved how Chanyeol's plump lips against his gave him a jittery feeling in his stomach. His hands pressed to Chanyeol's broad chest, feeling the muscles tense and relax under his touch. Chanyeol's tongue his lips, as if asking for entrance, but Baekhyun teased.

"Baek.." Chanyeol pulled apart, out of breath.

"Don't say anything..just- just kiss me, Yeol." Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol closer until the giant was laying ontop of him. They were on his bed in their dorm, away from the judgment and view of everyone else.

Chanyeol immediately attacked Baekhyun's lips, on his bottom lip before caressing his cheek. The kiss was rough but passionate. Just the skin contact gave Baekhyun goosebumps and he wanted to be with Chanyeol more than anything. Their hands roamed each other's bodies, wanting the feel the other there. Baekhyun felt hot and suffocated but he loved the feeling.

"I..I love you.." Chanyeol breathed out, pressing his forehead to Baekhyun's.

-

Baekhyun stared at the sight before him. The dirt was dry and blackened with ashes.

"L-Luhan?" He ran over to the male lying on the floor. There was blood dripping down the side of his head and his body was limp. Luhan's eyes were barely open and his lips were dry.

"Bae..k..hyun.." Luhan croaked. He had cuts on his face and just watching him was painful.

"What happened?! You're going to be okay- I'll get Yixing and-"

Luhan used his remaining strength to hold Baekhyun's hand. "I-I knew.."

"You knew what?" Baekhyun brushed Luhan's hair to the side, keeping it away from the blood.

"He..your power.." Luhan coughed, eyes fluttering shut every now and then.

"Stay with me, hyung! I'll get you help, you can't die on me like this." Baekhyun shook his head, feeling tears well up in his eyes.

"This- you have t-to end this..only y-you can." Luhan's breath was uneven and his fair skin was growing paler.

"What do I do? What am I supposed to do?" Baekhyun cried, feeling confused and scared.

"I..I couldn't pro..tect Sehun.." A tear slipped down Luhan's cheek and he shut his eyes. "Tell him..please.. that.. I'm sorry."

Baekhyun's eyes widened as Luhan's head tilted and his breathing stopped.

"Hyung!" Baekhyun forcefully shook Luhan's body but there was no response. "No. No..NO! Luhan! You can't- No! You have to hear Sehun's confession! You have to tell him you love him! You can't- Why now?!"

Baekhyun cried as his hands became stained with blood. Someone stepped forward and Baekhyun looked up with blurry vision.

"C-Chanyeol!" Baekhyun weeped, looking up at his boyfriend. "Luhan..he.. he-"

Chanyeol snickered. "He died?"

Baekhyun nodded, looking at Luhan's blood face motionless.

"He was too weak anyway." Chanyeol commented, staring at Luhan's body.

"What are you saying?" Baekhyun noticed how Chanyeol's expression didn't show any sorry or sadness.  His eyes were cold .

"It was about time he died. Good thing I ended his pain early."

Baekhyun's eyes widened and he stared in shock. "W-What? You-"

"I killed him." Chanyeol said simply. Baekhyun shook his head, standing up and walking closer to the man he loved.

"No--You didn't, you would never." Baekhyun stared at the male in front of him. His dark brown eyes had a hint of redness and they no longer shined with honesty and love. Chanyeol pushed Baekhyun roughly, causing the shorter male to stumble back with wide confused eyes.

Chanyeol scoffed and smirked. "But I did. Don't try to stop me, because if you do, I'll kill you too."

-

Baekhyun snapped his eyes opened, breathing heavily. His body was sweating and his heart was racing in his chest.

"What the hell was that?"

 


Sorry for another slow update! >.<

Leave a comment! How do you think Jongin feels about Baekhyun taking his nova away? What do you think will happen during the nova test? What is Baekhyun's dream/nightmare about?

Featured comment: legitlulay_: i just subscribed this story yesterday and i spent 30 minutes to read all the chapter until 39 and i thought the story already completed because im so excited and didnt realised that i subscribed the incompleted story but thats not the mattered. the matter is this is my first ff about this superpower stuff and its really goodddddddddd. im dying waiting for the next chapter. kudus authornim

Thank you so much for being so patient with me!