Chapter 18

Protector

Baekhyun's eyes widened at the words and found himself losing his balance. Tipping over, the shorter male stumbled forward, pushed open the principal's door and fell to the ground with a thud.

Chanyeol turned around to see Baekhyun laying on the ground and Ms. Kim stands up to watch the student push himself up.

"Baekhyun-ssi. Do you not have manners or respect? Have you never heard of privacy? You dare to eavesdrop into our conversati-"

"Please don't expel me." Baekhyun pleads. "I can explain mysel-"

"There's no need." Ms. Kim says and Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol who was seated in one of the chairs in front of the principal's desk.

"Chanyeol.." Baekhyun's voice was weak as he ran over to his friend. The giant didn't look at him.

"Baekhyun-ssi. Please leav-"

"I don't understand. What did I do? What does my family have to do with anything?! Someone please tell me!" Baekhyun exclaims, shaking Chanyeol's arm. The taller male took a deep breath and pulled his arm from Baekhyun's grasp.

"Don't touch me."

Baekhyun tried to ignore the drop in his chest. He was already used to this.

"I'll confess okay?! I don't have a power- a nova or whatever you guys call them. I don't have one and I have no idea what I'm doing in this school but I promise I didn't kill anyone or harm anyone. I-"

"Byun Baekhyun." Ms. Kim interrupts Baekhyun's ranting.

He chokes on his words. "Y-Yes?"

"I think it's time for us to bring out the history books."

-

"I hate him. I hate him!" Kyungsoo cries into his pillow as Jongdae sighs, laying on Baekhyun's bed.

"No you don't."

Kyungsoo flopped onto his back. "I know.."

"So why don't you tell him?"

"Tell him what?"

Jongdae looked at his friend as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"That you love him. Duh."

Kyungsoo shook his head furiously "I don't! At least not like that...I'm straight. I am.."

Jongdae shakes his head. "Stop telling yourself and start listening."

"How do I do that? And I don't think I should be taking advice from you of all people." Kyungsoo says jokingly.

"For example, if Jongin was in trouble, how would you feel?"

Kyungsoo laughs. "He's always in trouble."

"Well, serious trouble. As in he could be in danger." Jongdae says more seriously.

The older male shrugs. "I don't know. I'd be worried..but if it were you or Baekhyun, I'd be worried the same."

Jongdae frowns and thinks of another example. "Okay then, what if Jongin got a girlfriend..Like the other day when you saw him with some girl."

Kyungsoo blinked and swallowed as he stared up at the ceiling.

"W-Well...I don't think I'd like it..I mean, Jongin is so jocund and hyperactive. One second he's a mile away, the next he's right next to you, literally. He's annoying, bothersome and difficult to tame but he's also really nice and helpful at times. Sure he gets up all in your business but I guess he does it because he cares and I'm sure he just wants to be noticed. He's such an attention seeker. He clings onto you like a monkey and says good night a thousand times. He-"

Kyungsoo stopped himself midsentence, suddenly understanding his own words.

"I'm just saying, the girl would be at a disadvantage to have a boyfriend like Jongin.."

Jongdae snickers and throws his pen onto Kyungsoo's chest.

"Ow-! What was that for?"

"You're an idiot. If you like him so much, then tell him. Stop trying to hide your feelings. Who cares if you're 'straight', or gay? Anyone can tell, you want to be with Jongin more than you think."

Kyungsoo didn't respond.

"What would you do if Jongin disappeared forever?" Jongdae asks and Kyungsoo feels his heart drop. Just the idea of not seeing the sophomore around made Kyungsoo scared. He couldn't imagine school, or his life, without Jongin with him.

There was the knock on the door and Jongdae quickly slid off the bed to open it.

"Sehun?" Jongdae raised an eyebrow as the tall second year huffed as if he ran a marathon.

"H-Hyung!" His voice was filled with panic. "J-Jongin! I don't know what happened but he was there then he wasn't and now he's-"

Kyungsoo sat up at the sound of Jongin's name.

Jongdae put one hand on Sehun's shoulder. "Speak slowly, what happened to Jongin?"

Sehun took a deep breath. "I-I think Jongin teleported to the border."

Within a second, Kyungsoo bolted past Jongdae and Sehun at the door. His jacket was half on and his slippers were falling off his feet but he could careless.

"Kyungsoo!" Jongdae calls out but he doesn't turn around as he runs out of the dormitory.

"That son of a !" Kyungsoo curses as the runs into the woods. There was no way Jongin could cross the border. He ran as fast as his legs could carry him. The rocks were slippery after a day of rain and the earth was soggy. Nearly tripping over stumps and overgrown tree roots, Kyungsoo picks up his pace.

Why am I running?

Kyungsoo wanted to clear his thoughts but all he could think of was getting to Jongin.

He didn't know how long he traveled or how far away from the main campus he was but Kyungsoo's mind was too clouded to keep track. He knew he would get into trouble for leaving the school grounds without permission or supervision. He knew it was dangerous to go so far on a Saturday afternoon, when security was low.

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo called out repeatedly, hoping to get some sort of response. "Kim Jongin!"

He continued moving until he could see the thin border between their world and the human world. There, stood the only and only Kim Jongin, sitting on a tall rock with his back towards the senior. Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief to see that Jongin wasn't planning to go anywhere. From where he sat, you could see the tiny buildings of Seoul a few miles away on the other side. The harbors were filled with ships going in and out of the ports. There, the human world continued as it usually did, far away from any magic.

"Yah!" Kyungsoo called out loudly as he made his way up the rock. By now, his pants were dirty and his feet were covered with bits of bark, leaves, and soil.

Jongin's head immediately turned around with fear before his eyes widen.

"H-Hy-Hyung!?"

"Why the hell would you come all the way out here?" Kyungsoo asks. His voice was tinted with anger and relief.

Jongin watched as Kyungsoo slowly hiked the rock until he sat beside him. The wind blew against their faces and the gloomy sky above them shifted with the clouds.

"I wanted some..fresh air."

Kyungsoo scoffed. "Fresh air? You didn't have to come all the way out here for that."

Jongin's hands tightened and his body turned away from Kyungsoo slightly.

"Sorry."

"Sorry? That's all you have to say?" Kyungsoo scolds. "You know you could have died if you crossed the border?! Your nova would have gone out of control outside of the force field."

Jongin mumbled, "I know."

"Knowing doesn't help! You have to avoid doing what you're not supposed to, Jongin! If you really did cross, I have no idea what I'd do."

Jongin huffed. "What makes you think I would cross anyway?"

Kyungsoo looked over at the sulking student beside him from the corner of his eye.

"Well give me one reason why you wouldn't? I haven't seen you in days and when I do see you, you avoid me like I have a deadly a disease."

Jongin dangled his legs the ledge and spoke in a quiet voice.

Kyungsoo raised and eyebrow and leaned closer. "What did you say?"

"I-If I left, I wouldn't get to be with you.."

The older male froze and blinked at the words. What was he supposed to say?

"Oh....well.."

Jongin sighed. "I'm going to go first."

Kyungsoo felt everything go in slow motion as Jongin stood up and made his way off the rock.

"Wait, Jongin..!" Kyungsoo stood up after him and pulled him by his arm. Jongin shut his eyes the moment the senior grabbed his wrist.

"I should go-"

"Just stop and listen to me." Kyungsoo insisted and held Jongin's wrist more tightly.

"I'm sorry I acted the way I did that day..I ran away. Honestly, I don't even know why. I don't know if I was just angry, confused, or maybe even jealous. I didn't really notice until you stopped eating with us and pestering me in the most annoying ways that you do. I feel like I ruined out friendship and I realize that it wasn't worth it. I was rude and disrespected your feelings..No on deserves that. I'm sorry."

Jongin didn't turn around and let his hand fall from Kyungsoo's grasp. There was a foot of distance between them.

"It's okay, I don't mind anymore-"

"But I do. I miss having you around, okay?" Kyungsoo ran his hand through his hair. "At first, I thought I'd be fine, maybe even happier without you by my side 24/7, but after a few days, I began to realize it was actually the opposite. Eating lunch without you is kind of boring. Studying without you bothering me is also kind of boring..in fact my grades have actually dropped because I can't concentrate without wondering what you're doing..Most importantly, I didn't have the confidence to accept that maybe..just maybe I like you more than a friend.."

Jongin felt his heart stop at those words and he immediately turned around. Kyungsoo could see the hope and betrayal in the younger male's eyes.

"Don't say that if you don't mean it."

"It's not a lie-"

"Don't pretend to have the same feelings that I have for you. It's not the same. You only see me as a dongsaeng, a younger brother. You're graduating after this year and you can just throw me away afterwards, right? Sure, I'm moved by the fact that you miss me but you don't think of me the way I think of you. Before, all I wanted to do was have your attention, make you focus only on me. I wanted to steal your heart away and make you jealous if I flirted with other people. I wanted to make sure that I could be the only one who you looked out for. But then I realized I wanted to kiss you and hold your hand on a daily basis. I wanted you to look at me differently from others. Now..I don't know anymore."

Kyungsoo walked over to Jongin with a long stride and hesitantly wrapped his arms around the other's slim waist. The warmth radiating off Jongin's body was inviting and Kyungsoo rested his head on his chest. He had never been in such an intimate position, yet it gave him chills that ran down his arm and down his legs.

"I'm sorry that I pushed you away. Honestly, I don't completely know how I feel but I know I want- no, I need you by my side. I'm not the same without you. You've wiggled your way into my space and now you can't leave...you brat." Kyungoo gently buried his head into Jongin's firm chest and Jongin tried to hold in a smile.

Just like that, his walls had come crumbling down. It was impossible for him to be angry when Kyungsoo had just willingly given him a hug in the most adorable way.

"Hyung.." Jongin put one hand on Kyungsoo's soft hair and laced his fingers with each strand.

"I really don't deserve someone like you and I feel selfish for wanting to keep you all for myself..but I can't help it."

Kyungsoo listened to Jongin's heartbeat. "Your chest is thumping really loudly."

Jongin felt his cheeks redden. "It's because of you, hyung!"

Kyungsoo laughed and listened as it increased in speed. It was calm and relaxing to listen to. "I like that. Make sure your heart only beats for me."

Jongin hugged Kyungsoo back, surprising the older male. "Don't worry. It has been for the past year. My heart doesn't change that easily......I hope your heart will learn to only love me too."

Kyungsoo didn't know Jongin could ever be so romantic and sappy but he kind of liked it. It was different from his usual cheeky, flirty self. It was a side that Kyungsoo wanted for himself.

Jongin leaned closer to whisper in Kyungsoo's ear.

"Later in our relationship, I'll make sure not only your heart is mine but also...your body."

Kyungsoo's eyes widen as he pulled away from Jongin and gave his chest a heart slap.

"Yah! Kim Jongin!!"

 


Kaisoo made up \(^o^)/ But now Baekhyun and Chanyeol have something to solve..!

Sorry for such a long wait! >.< Leave a comment! What do you think happened between Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's family? What will happen to Baekhyun? Do you think Chanyeol is being fair? Do you think Jongin accepted Kyungsoo too easily or was it about time they made up? :)

As always, you guys are the most patient readers ever! I had a full week of testing so I wasn't able to fit in time to write all week, I deeply apologize! But school is almost over and summer is coming soon so expect mre updates! >.o~~

<3 <3 <3