Chapter 27

Protector

"Kris is back?!" Jongdae asks with wide eyes and Joonmyeon nods, resting his cheeks in the palm of his hand.

He let out a sigh. "I saw him with Baekhyun but I didn't have the courage to face Kris so I told him to take him to Yixing-"

Jongdae slapped his forehead. "Why on earth would you tell your ex-boyfriend to go to your crush?!"

"I don't know! I don't know anymore!" Joonmyeon groaned and put his head on the table.

"What is he back for though?" Minseok asked, scribbling down the answer to his homework question.

"Who knows." Jongdae comments before going back to his textbook.

-

Baekhyun frowned as Chanyeol pulled on his arm. A sense of dejavu hit him hard and snapped him out of his rushed daze.

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun yelled out. The other male slowed down as they stood in the open field at the center of the campus.

Chanyeol took a deep breath but his hand didn't let go of Baekhyun's.

"Did I do something?" He asked, not turning to look at the shorter male.

"Huh?"

Chanyeol finally turned his body to face Baekhyun, staring him down. But his gaze didn't hold anger or hatred, but rather hurt and confusion.

"Why are you avoiding me? Why did you not come over that day? Why did you ditch me at breakfast? Why didn't you come to the library? Why?!"

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol's face. How could someone be so handsome when they're upset?

"I-I" he stuttered.

"What?! Are you secretly dating my stepbrother?! Is that what it is? All the time that you usually give to me is now spent with Yixing. Are you kidding me Baekhyun? Now that you're tired of me you toss me aside for someone you know I dislike. I never thought of you as someone who would betray me like that-"

"Then what do you see me as?" Baekhyun boldly asked. Over the week, he had thought of what their relationship was. Friends? Reunited childhood friends? Classmates? Enemies?

Chanyeol blinked. "U-oh..Well. You're Baekhyun."

Baekhyun sighed. "Baekhyun what? Baekhyun, my classmate? Baekhyun, the transfer student? Baekhyun, the grandson of the man who killed your grandfather-"

"Stop. You know I don't think of that anymore."

Baekhyun stomped his foot. "Then what Chanyeol? Why must I give all my time to you when I don't even know why we hang out? Why? I don't know about you but I like hanging out with you but nowadays I start to question why I do. In the beginning, you hated my company. You wanted me gone and now you're getting mad at me for being with your stepbrother." He ranted.

Chanyeol gripped onto Baekhyun's hand tighter. "Naneun..neoreul johahae.."

Baekhyun blinked. Chanyeol had mumbled under his breath. "What?"

"I said its..Its because I like you!" Chanyeol felt his face heat up. This had never happened to him before. His heart was beating so heavily and he could feel all his blood running in his veins. The feeling of the rush within his body made him feel empowered yet light headed at once. All of the sudden, Baekhyun was ripping his hand out from his and he let out a yelp.

", Chanyeol!" Baekhyun winced, bending over and holding his hand to his chest with a pained expression.

All the memories came flooding back to him and he shook his head, taking steps backwards. His hand trembled.

"I-I'm sorry! I-" Before he could get another word out, Chanyeol was already running back to the dorms. By the time he got back, Jongdae was entering their dorm with the card in his hand.

"Ah, Chanyeol-"

Chanyeol pushed the door open and ran into the bathroom, rinsing his hands roughly with cold water.

"What's wrong?! Chanyeol." Jongdae followed him into the bathroom and watched as Chanyeol held his hands under the running water. His eyes were red with tears and Chen knew he had used his nova.

"What did you do..?"

Chanyeol gritted his teeth together, and took a deep breath. His hands reached to turn off the faucet and he gripped onto the sides of the sink.

"I..I burned him" Chanyeol felt a hot tear slip out. He had done it again. He had hurt Baekhyun.

*flashback*

"Chanyeol-ah!" Baekhyun smiled as he spotted his friend at the playground.

"Baekhyun.." Chanyeol looked up to see the short kid running to him. Chanyeol had always been tall for his age. Noticing Baekhyun run over to him, Chanyeol quickly slipped on his gloves. His mother told him to always wear them around other kids.

"You're wearing your gloves today." Baekhyun commented as he stood in front of Chanyeol.

Chanyeol nodded.

"Can you do the monkey bars?" Baekhyun asked excitedly. He jumped on his feet and ran over to the tall metal bars that hung over him.  Chanyeol walked over and stood on the tiny platform, preparing to swing himself to the first bar.

"Watch carefully." Chanyeol. Baekhyun nodded, watching from the side.

Skillfully, Chanyeol moved from one bar to the next, swinging his legs for more support, until he reached the other side.

"That was so cool. I want to try!" Baekhyun clapped his hands. Chanyeol loved how Baekhyun smiled to his eyes. The ends of his eyes would droop down slightly and his lips would curl to a wide smile that made him feel happy. He was happy with Baekhyun. One of his only friends. His mother hardly let him interact with other children. It was only because Baekhyun was one of them.

"No, you'll fall and hurt yourself!" Chanyeol grumbled, jumping down smoothly.

Baekhyun frowned and furrowed his eyebrows. "You don't know that!"

"Yes, I do. You're to small. Your arms are too short. You won't make it across." Chanyeol argues sternly. It wasn't that he was trying to discourage Baekhyun from ever doing the monkey bars, but it was pain him to see Baekhyun hurt. And their mothers would scold them if either of them were injured.

Baekhyun huffed. "I can climb a tree! I can climb that one!" He pointed to a tall tree that had several thick branches sticking out.

Chanyeol's eyes widened as he saw the short kid running over and already preparing to climb up.

"Baekhyun, no! Get down!" By the time Chanyeol made it over, Baekhyun was sitting on one of the branches, dangling his legs.

"See? Look, I can climb!" Baekhyun said, wanting to prove to Chanyeol that he was capable of at least one thing.

Chanyeol nodded and looked around. Their mothers were on the other side of the park. He didn't know if that was a good thing that they didn't see Baekhyun in such a dangerous situation, or that it was bad they weren't around in case of an accident.

"Just hurry and come down." Chanyeol yelled with a panicked voice

"Why? It's fun up here."

"Get down Baekhyun! I'm not kidding!" Chanyeol exclaims. Baekhyun frowned.

"No, you come up."

Chanyeol shut his eyes and walked closer to the tree. His gloves were too thick to get a good grip of the tree bark.

"I can't."

Baekhyun smirked. "Oh, you can't?"

Chanyeol frowned. Baekhyun was mocking him.

Chanyeol looked down at his gloves. Looking around for his mother, whom he didn't see anywhere, Chanyeol quickly slipped off the glove.

His hands firmly held onto the tree without the thick rubber layer on top, "I-I can!"

Baekhyun swung his legs. "Then get up here!"

"I'm only going up to bring you down."

"Sure." Baekhyun said, enjoying the view. He wasn't too high up, no more than 8 feet above the ground, but the fall would have at least broken a few bones.

Chanyeol made his way up. He stood on the crevices in the trunk of the tree. His position didn't allow him to sit on the branch like Baekhyun had done but he was now close enough to Baekhyun.

"Come here." Baekhyun motioned him to come over. Chanyeol tried to not look down. He had a minor fear of heights, causing him to immediately regret moving over to hold onto the branch.

"Now, get down." He manages to say.

Baekhyun sighed. "Fine."

With one easy swoop, Baekhyun jumped down and landed down on his feet perfectly. Chanyeol groaned. If he knew Baekhyun could do that, he wouldn't have gotten himself up here.

"What about you Chanyeol? Come down." Baekhyun called from the ground.

"I-I will." Chanyeol felt his heart race. He was scared. He looked down at the tree bark. The bark was turning black.

"Just jump down. I'll catch you."

Chanyeol scoffed. "You can't catch me. I'll squish you."

Baekhyun laughed. "Like how you said I couldn't climb trees?"

Chanyeol muttered under his breath. "I didn't say you couldn't."

Chanyeol felt the bark rougly rub against the palm of his hand.

"Come on, get down."

Chanyeol bit his lip and shut his eyes. "I..I can't. Baekhyun, I'm scared."

Baekhyun frowned and began to climb the trunk once more.

"Here, hold my hand." Baekhyun offered his hand out to Chanyeo.

"I can't." He said firmly but his grip on the tree was slipping.

"Come on Chanyeol! Just hold me hand. I've got you." Baekhyun told him. His hand was less than an arm length from Chanyeol.

When one of his arms slipped off, Chanyeol shut his eyes and blindly reached out for Baekhyun.

"It's okay," Baekhyun smiles when he held Chanyeol's hand.

Baekhyun pulled their hands together to help Chanyeol off the tree but within a few seconds, he screamed from the pain.

Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief as they were on the ground, finally.

"What's wrong-"

Chanyeol's eyes widened when he noticed Baekhyun's hand was bleeding. His entire palm was red as if the top layer of skin was seared off. Blood dripped down Baekhyun arm and the shorter male wailed in pain.

"Mom! Mom!" He cried, staring down at the blood in his hands. Chanyeol slowly backed away. His hands were tightening into fists.

"Baekhyun..I-I-"

"Baekhyun!!" Baekhyun's mother yelled out and ran to her crying son on the floor. Her eyes widened at the sight of his hands and her eyes narrowed on Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol! You-!" His own mother stared at him with fear and shock and all he could do was look at the rubber gloves on the ground, just inches away from him. The gloves that should have been on his hands. Gloves that would have protected Baekhyun.

---

With one foot at a time, Baekhyun put his feet on the lumps of bark on the tree trunk and slowly moved his way up.

"Almost there, Baek.." He says to himself, inching closer and closer to the leaf.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Someone yells from below and Baekhyun almost loses his balance. He looks down only to see Chanyeol frowning with confusion and disbelief.

Baekhyun points to the leaf just a few inches away from his fingertips.

"The maple leaf." He replies and moves another inch closer. By now, he was half on the branch, and half dangling in the air.

"You're going fall!" Chanyeol yells back but Baekhyun shakes his head.

"Trust me, I'm a professional."

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Come down before I burn the tree you're climbing."

Baekhyun almost laughed. "I'm not stupid. You're not allowed to use your nova."

Chanyeol sighed, muttering something under his breath.

"Just please, get down."

With a quick extension of his arm, Baekhyun grasped the leaf between his fingertips and a smile broke out on his face.

"I got it!" Baekhyun exclaims but Chanyeol didn't look any more elated or any less worried.

"Yeah, yeah. Now, get the down." Chanyeol demanded and Baekhyun obeyed.

When his feet touched the ground, Chanyeol came over and stared at Baekhyun. "You're unbelievable."

*end of flashback*

Chanyeol banged onto the mirror in front of them. Baekhyun was the same as ever.

"Woah there!" Jongdae reached to pull Chanyeol back but the taller male shrugged him off.

"Don't touch me."

"You can't do this Chanyeol. I'll go get Yix-"

"Don't you dare bring er over here." Chanyeol snapped.

Jongdae breathed with frustration. "You need to to renew your prohibation spell."

"I hurt him, Jongdae! I hurt him again." Chanyeol stared at his red hands. "And I left him. I got scared and ran away."

"He's going to go to Yixing. For help. You know that."

Chanyeol tried to ignore the pang in his chest. Of cours he knew that. Baekhyun was probably grossed out. He would run to Yixing for physical and emotional healing. He would give Baekhyun what he couldn't.

"I'm sure Baekhyun doesn't mind Yixing's company. He made it clear to me this whole week." Chanyeol dried off his hands and walked over to his bed.

Jongdae watched as Chanyeol wrapped himself in his blankets.

"Are you sure about that?"

Chanyeol didn't respond.

"We all know you like Baekhyun. As in you want to be his boyfriend and all..We all see it."

Chanyeol tried to calm his heart down. "But Baek doesn't."

Jongdae his head to the side. "Again, are you sure about that?"

Chanyeol shut his eyes.

"I'm going to sleep."

With one final sigh, Jongdae nodded. "Don't make him wait too long, Chanyeol.."

 


Poor Baekyeol :'(

Leave a comment! What do you think Baekhyun would have said if Chanyeol didn't burn his hand? What will Baek say to Chanyeol now? Any guesses why Kris came back? What do you think of Chanyeol's traumatizing flashback?

Featured comment : SailorMakuma:  BAEKYEOL GOT ABS TOGETHER IT'S OFFICIAL (wonder how they did that c;;c;cc;;;c;c;;) I AM SO EXCITED I MELTED I AM SO RUINED BY CHANYEOL111 It's so perfect I am actually dead this chapter hehe jealous Yeollie is sooooo cute lmao.
But those white spots he needs to get them checked! :o Baekhyun will murder u chanyeol dO IT.

Also shoutout to kalibabe for being my 1000 subscriber! ^o^ Thank you for all your love, guys! <3

Thank you again, for another slow update! I'm looking forward to reading your comments~!