Chapter 33

Protector

"Hey panda." 

Tao turned around when he noticed the blonde male casually walking beside him as he made his way to the cafeteria. He frowned before holding the strap of his backpack tighter. 

"What do you want?"

Kris smiled at the sound of Tao's voice. He loved how they automatically conversed in Chinese. 

"You."

Tao huffed. "Wait a thousand years."

Kris smirked. "Then will you be mine?"

Tao groaned with annoyance. "Just get lost! Why do you keep bothering me?! You don't even know me.." 

The safeguard frowned, slowing down his steps. "Do you really want that?"

Tao paused to look back at him.

"Do you really want me to stop?"

Tao nodded his head as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Yes!"

Kris felt his heart drop at how enthusiastically Tao had rejected him. He's only known the sophomore for barely two weeks.

"Okay," Kris nodded. "I'll leave you alone..panda."

Tao shut his eyes in frustration. "Stop calling me that, too."

Kris pursed his lips. 

"But-"

Before he could even finish his sentence, Tao stomped off towards the cafeteria without another glance.

-

"Yo, water boy." Kris leaned against the door frame of a familiar dorm.

"Kris..."  Joonmyeon's eyes widened, swirling around from his desk to face the male behind him. "What are you doing here? Rather how did you even get in here?"

Kris made his way inside, closing the door. "Namjoon is pretty easily persuaded with pick up lines." 

Joonmyeon raised one eyebrow. "You're hitting on my roommate now? Wow, what happened to Jongin's friend?"

Kris chuckled, shaking his head. "I didn't use them on him. Namjoon, as smart as that kid is, he wanted some good tricks to get that princess 4 doors down. Ji...Jin? Dunno." 

"Oh..right. Seokjin."

"Mhm, him." Kris looked around the room as if it were his own. 

"Well..why are you here? I'm kind of busy right now." Joonmyeon motioned to stack of books on his desk.

"Too busy for me? Your beloved ex?" Kris asked in a teasing tone.

Joonmyeon blinked. "Yeah."

Kris uncrossed his arms and sighed. "I guess I can't tell you my glorious plan to get Yixing then-"

"Wait!" Joonmyeon nearly tilted his chair when Kris began to make a move for the door. "I can spare..an hour."

Kris laughed at how red Joonmyeon's ears went. 

"Then what are we waiting for?"

-

Then next morning, everyone found their way to the cafeteria as usual. Chanyeol and Baekhyun arrived together, with the giant holding his own tray for the first time in ages, when they sat down. Kyungsoo made it to his seat, managing to put down his tray before Jongin popped up beside him, planting a kiss on Soo's cheek. 

"It , sitting at a table with two couples." Jongdae groaned. 

Minseok rolled his eyes. "Chanyeol and Baekhyun don't even act like a couple in front of us. Look at how quiet they are!" 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol look up from their food with wide eyes, glance at each other, before looking back down with reddened cheeks. 

"It's only Jongin and Kyungsoo. This is what we get for teasing them this past year and a half." Minseok half complains from beside Jongdae. 

"Then there's this hyung.." Jongdae says, motioning to Luhan who sat in front of him without a tray. Minseok was kind enough to get him a glass of water. 

Luhan's eyes were dull and lifeless. His posture looked terrible and he didn't seem to care how messy his hair was. Unlike the usual cheery Luhan, prince of the forest, the Chinese boy was now a dead deer after being hit by a car. 

"I'm fine." Luhan mumbled before letting out a sad sigh. 

Everyone could see that Sehun, who was sitting a few tables away wasn't also in his best mood. The sophomore was swirling around the soup in his bowl, barely taking a sip as Tao spoke to him.

"It's like another Jongin and Kyungsoo." Jongdae commented before getting elbowed by Minseok. 

Baekhyun noticed Yixing coming up with his tray.

"Yixing hyung!" Baekhyun called, putting his hand up.

The senior looked around at the sound of his name before noticing Baekhyun a few tables away. 

"Baekhyun!" Yixing smiled as he approached their table. Chanyeol made no sign of acknowledgement.

"Do you want to eat with us today?" 

Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun before looking up at the senior to see his response.

"Sure!" Yixing chirped before scooting into the empty seat beside Baekhyun. 

Jongdae's eyes widened. "Where's Joonmyeon?! He'd kill for this opportunity."

Joonmyeon hadn't sat at their usual table but instead sat a few tables away. 

"Where's Joonmyeon hyung?" Jongin wondered, looking around. 

"He's sitting over there! With- Kris?!" Jongdae exclaimed with shock. 

"Are they hitting it off again?" Kyungsoo comments as he eats a rolled egg. 

"Well he's laughing with him." Minseok says. They all watch Joonmyeon, for the first time, eat with someone else, let alone the fact that its his ex-boyfriend.

Yixing was the only one who seemed unconcerned with Joonmyeon not at their table. 

Jongdae eyed Yixing. "Oh well, I guess they'll be dating again in no time. I guess you didn't mean that much to him."

Yixing looked at him and shrugged. "That's great for him."

Jongdae blinked at how indifferent the other senior was acting. 

"You don't care? Joonmyeon's been after you for a while." 

Yixing ate another spoonful of rice. "He and Kris..they look good together."

Baekhyun frowns at his response but doesn't say anything else. 

-

"What will me eating with you do? Yixing could probably care less." Joonmyeon huffs. He tried his hardest to not turn around the moment Kris told him Yixing sat at his usual table. 

"True. Very true."

Joonmyeon looked at Kris. "You said-"

"Right now, Yixing may seem like he doesn't care, but he will. I know him like the back of my hand."

Joonmyeon began to eat his soup and rice in silence. It wasn't necessarily awkward to be ao casual with Kris, his ex boyfriend. 

"How's your chase with Jongin's friend going?" Joonmyeon asks.

"Not so well at the moment. But not as bad as you with Yixing."

Joonmyeon rolls his eyes. "Well then. If you're so great. I'm sure that Tao kid will fall head over heels for you in no time."

Kris clicked his tongue. "Trust me, that panda will come rolling in...eventually."

"Why are you even helping me?"

Joonmyeon looked up at Kris. It had crossed his mind several times since Kris first suggested that he help him.

Kris shrugged. "Well, why wouldn't I help you? Even when we were dating, it was obvious you liked Yixing."

"But now, we're simply people who dated each other and you've come back..wait, why did you even come back?" Joonmyeon questioned.

"Ms. Kim called me back. As you know, once you come of age, you can use your novas outside of our school. I'm only a year and a half away. However, having a flight nova, Principal Kim thought it would make sense to hire me as a safe guard."

Joonmyeon tilted his head to the side. "Do we need extra protection or something?"

Kris tensed but within a second he was back to his normal, casual self. "Well, it can't be worse that I'm around, right?"

Kris turned around to look at the other table. "So..who's the new kid?"

Joonmyeon quickly glanced over. "Baekhyun?"

"Yeah, him." Kris eyed Baekhyun as he ate his food and laughed with the others. "What's his power?"

"I-I'm not actually sure. He never said. I'm sure Kyungsoo or Chanyeol know though."

"Why would Kyungsoo and Chanyeol know?" Kris asked, taking a sip of water..

Joonmyeon swallowed a spoonful of soup. "After you graduated, Kyungsoo got a new roommate, Baekhyun. I'm sure he's seen it at least once. And Chanyeol..he's Baekhyun's boyfriend."

Kris choked on his drink and Joonmyeon immediately patted his back.

"H-His boyfriend?! Chanyeol is dating?! He's dating a guy?!" Kris exclaimed, completely shocked. His memories of Chanyeol included a quiet and cold hearted boy with the ability to do incredible things. Last year, when Chanyeol had demonstrated his powers during a certain NP class, he had nearly burned down the whole classroom if it weren't for Joonmyeon who had to create a current from the bathrooms to extinguish the fire. It was an utter mess and that was really when everyone understood how powerful Chanyeol really was. Principal Kim put a strong prohibition spell on Chanyeol to control his nova.

Either way, he had never expected Chanyeol to be dating. Let alone the new boy.

"Yeah, they just recently got together. Baekhyun's a good influence on Chanyeol. You should have seen them in the beginning, always bullying and bickering." Joonmyeon thinks back when Baekhyun first joined their group.

"I guess Baekhyun must be something if he's snatched the great Chanyeol." Kris commented.

"He snatched Yixing too."

Kris' eyes widened. "Yixing likes him too?"

Joonmyeon nodded with a sigh. "Yeah.."

Kris watched as Yixing smiled at Baekhyun, urging him to eat more vegetables. "He's got both brothers..what exactly is so good about this Baekhyun kid?"

"You're making me feel worse, Kris. Besides, I should be glad Baekhyun chose Chanyeol. Yixing isn't one to take what doesn't belong to him..unlike Sehun.."

Kris blinked. "Sehun?"

"You know..Oh Sehun? Wind nova? Second year?" Joonmyeon cocked his head a few tables down on the opposite side of the cafeteria floor. "The tall skinny one."

"Oh..he looks so much older now. I saw him around last year. Luhan was crazy about him, right?" Kris says before realizing that Sehun was sitting next to his one and only panda.

Right..Panda is also a second year..

"What's Sehun friend's name..the one sitting next to him?"

Joonmyeon looked over. "Isn't that the sophomore you've been hitting on? How could you not know his name?!"

Kris shrugged. "He never said."

Joonmyeon mentally slapped his forehead. "Should I really trust you? How will you get Yixing to like me when you don't even know the guy you like's name?!"

Kris waved him off. "Anyway, what's his name?"

"His name is Huang ZiTao but everyone just calls him Tao."

Kris nodded, watching the dark haired male eating his food quietly. "Not me. I call him panda."

"You're ridiculous, Kris."

-

"Kyungsoo!"

The senior turned around at the sound of his name. "Oh, Kris!"

Kris jogged over to Kyungsoo, easily towering over him. "How's my little ex-roomate?"

Kyungsoo punched him on the arm and Kris winced.

"S-Still as strong as ever, I see.." Kris chuckled with a pained expression.

"And you're still as nosey as ever, hyung." Kyungsoo gave him his cute square smile. It was nice to have Kris back.

"I heard you're dating Jongin now..or rather finally!" Kris says.

Kyungsoo nods. "Yeah. That little er finally won."

Kris pats Kyungsoo's shoulder. "I remember as if it was just yesterday you were rejecting him left and right! Remember that one time you woke up and he came out of our shower?! That was-"

All of the sudden, something pushed Kris over, wedging itself between the taller male and the short senior.

"Watch it Kris! Stop being so chummy with my boyfriend!" Jongin had teleported out of nowhere, wrapping his arm around Kyungsoo as he glared and Kris.

"Oh hey Jongin." Kris said as casually as he could. He had forgotten how easily Jongin got jealous. It was even worse when he was still Kyungsoo's roommate.

"Jong, you can't keep doing that. Besides, you know Kris wouldn't hit on me." Kyungsoo stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. But it really was.

"Yeah, cuz he's trying to get with Tao." Jongin commented, grabbing Kyungsoo's hand. 

"Anyway, before you interrupted, Jongin," Kris turned to Jongin for a quick second before looking back at Kyungsoo. "I was just wondering, what is Baekhyun's nova?"

Kyungsoo bit his lip. "Why are you asking?"

Jongin shrugged. "He never said."

Kris crossed his arms over his chest. "So no one knows?"

"Try asking Chanyeol. Those two are almost always together."

"They're actually dating.." Kris said, mostly to himself.

"Yeah, surprisingly. They hated each other's guts in the beginning. But now, Baekhyun is the only person Chanyeol is actually comfortable with. Apparently they were childhood friends, too." Jongin explained.

Kyungsoo elbowed Jongin for saying so much.

"Childhood friends, huh?"

"Either way, Baekhyun worked hard to be by Chanyeol's side. He suffered a lot from Chanyeol's temper and ignorance." Kyungsoo adds.

"Was it Baekhyun who had the hots for Chanyeol or-"

"Chanyeol is obsessed with Baehyun! It's kind of cute, not as cute as my Kyungie of course.." Jongin cuts in. "And...Baekhyun tops!"

Kyungsoo punched Jongin, causing his boyfriend to wince in pain.

"Jongin! You don't tell people those things!" Kyungsoo turned to Kris apologetically. "Sorry, we don't actually know much about Baekhyun and Chanyeol's relationship. I'll take Jongin away now. See you later hyung!"

Kyungsoo pulled Jongin by his arm and waved to Kris with the other before Kris was by himself outside of the dorms.

He blinked, trying to understand the current situation.

"What the hell happened when I was gone?"

 


Another update! I know there's alot of things going on:

1. Hunhan dilema

2. Chicken and Panda

3. Joonmyeon and Yixing Operation

4. Snow

I will start to focus each chapter mostly on one or two pairings to keep the plot on track! Please don't be too upset if there are a few chapters without much Baekyeol interaction, don't worry, they are still the main pairing!

Leave a comment! What do you think Kris' plan is? What do you think of his character? How do you want Yixing to fall in love with Joonmyeon? On a scale of 1 to 10, how easily do you think Luhan will/should forgive Sehun? How will Kris find out what Baekhyun's nova is? Why is he so curious?

Featured comment: Hongbinoffical : that's so CUTE >W< and kaisoo's misunderstanding dough hahahahhahahah and sehun like noooooooooo y break his heart did u even listen to chanyeol he doesn't want u for himself he wants u to be happy sehun he is nice u rude very rude person T~T

Thank you so much for your awesome comments! You guys are so funny xD <3

Until next time~!