Chapter 12

Protector

"Leave me alone Jongin."

"But Kyungsoo! I waited for an hour and all you care about is Baekhyun. I'm starting to think you like him more than me!" Jongin complains. It's become a habit for him to wait for Kyungsoo outside his last period classroom. The first few times, Kyungsoo didn't mind but after a few months, he began to forget that Jongin was even there.

The older male rolls his eyes. "That's because I do."

Jongin huffs with a frown. "Couldn't you at least pretend that I'm your favorite dongsaeng? It would make me fee a lot better."

"No because I'd be lying to myself and everything I live for."

They were walking back to the dorms - or at least Kyungsoo was before Jongin invited himself to join the senior. Jongin liked how their shoulders would occasionally bump but if Jongin tried to subtly lean any closer, Kyungsoo moved away. Although he always seemed unaffected by Kyungsoo's harsh rejections, Jongin was slowly losing hope. Since the first days of freshman year, Jongin had followed Kyungsoo like a dedicated fan. At first, he had quietly admired the older male's strength from far away, only stealing short glances. Just sitting a table or two away Kyungsoo and his friends gave him a jumble of butterflies in his stomach. Thinking about him made Jongin excited and eager to see him during meal times.

It was only after another month and a half that Jongin finally had the confidence to talk to Kyungsoo. Of course, first impressions were everything. The junior was extremely kind-hearted and didn't mind tutoring him for math. Eventually, Jongin squeezed his way into Kyungsoo's friend circle, just like how Kyungsoo somehow squeezed his way into his heart. With a new group of supportive friends, he began to open up to others. Jongin still thanks Kyungsoo for this but the older male doesn't think much of it. If anything, he probably doesn't remember or care to remember about these minor details.

That was what hurt Jongin the most.

"What's not to like about me? I might be younger but I'm funny, talented, and handsome on many levels. I mean, sure Joonmyun hyung is pretty handsome and manly but I can be masculine,too! I don't get it- why aren't you in love with me hyung?"

Kyungsoo pauses in his steps and Jongin stops, too. There was a mix of confusion, annoyance and frustration in his expression.

"Have you ever thought, maybe I'm not gay?"

What.

Jongin blinked and everything felt like time was going to stop. This train of thought came to a halt and all he could see in front of him was Kyungsoo.

"Wh-What do you mean?""

"Has that ever crossed your mind? Sure, my friends may be but I'm not. How could just throw yourself on me, assuming that I'd be interested in men? I don't know if you're being infatuated or just disrespectful. Your arrogance is starting to annoy me."

Jongin felt small under Kyungsoo's gaze for the first time in a while. It had always been Jongin to brag about his interests in Kyungsoo but in this moment, all he wanted to do was run. Other days, he would wish to be close to Kyungsoo every second of the day but now, the senior's words were sinking in. Did Kyungsoo always feel this way? Did Kyungsoo hate him this much? Was he only making his life miserable by being around him?

Slowly with hesitantly steps, Jongin stakes a few steps back and lets his bangs cover his expression. He didn't want Kyungsoo to feel burdened. It was all his own fault. He was inconsiderate of Kyungsoo's feelings and his preferences.

"I-I'm sorry. I'll j-just go. See you,.." With that, Jongin quickly turns and jogs the other way, leaving Kyungsoo standing alone in a tiny puddle of guilt.

 

-

"I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you." Sehun says, patting his roommate's back gently. Jongin was curled in a ball in his blankets and all Sehun could do was pass him tissues one after another. Jongin ran around the campus three times before returning to the dorms with a heavy heart and tears threatening to spill. Sehun was reading a book when Jongin collapsed on the bed with muffled cries.

"It's not his fault. It's mine. E-Everything he said was true.." Jongin says, feeling drained of energy. He hated crying, and especially in front of other people, he hated how it made him look weak.

"I'm sure Kyungsoo was just frustrated. School just started an-"

"It's not the point, Sehun. He hates me. It's me- I'm the problem here." Jongin turns over. His eyes were tired and he felt like a girl for crying over another guy. He knew he didnt have a chance with Kyungsoo. Hes known that since the very beginning.

"Don't say that. Kyungsoo hyung isn't someone who would hate his friend. You know that more than anyone." Sehun hands him another tissue and Jongin mumbles a thanks, blowing his snot out loudly. Sehun was quite a germophobe but what could he do if his best friend was clinging to him, pouring his broken heart out. Not to mention all the snotty tissues were scattered on the floor and all over the bed.

Jongin tosses the tissue somewhere he could care less about and sniffles. If only things could go back to how they were last year. When Kyungsoo showed that he cared and Jongin could proudly hang around him.

*Flashback*

"Oh- Kyungsoo hyung!" Jongin jogged over to where his favorite hyung stood. His lips widened into a heart shaped smile and he waved at him, carrying a stack of books in the other hand.

"Jongin-ah! How was your test?" He asks and Jongin sighs, putting his head down. He couldn't wait to tell Kyungsoo.

"Well..I didn't know half the answers to the test..I got a 45."

Kyungsoo's large eyes nearly popped out of his head. "F-F-Fourty five?!?! I swear-"

"Just kidding!" Jongin exclaims, sliding the paper out from inside his blazer. He eagerly holds the sheet out for Kyungsoo to see and he can see the older male's expression changing.

"90! That's amazing, Jong! I'm so proud of you." Kyungsoo says, ruffling Jongin's hair till it was a messy fluff. The freshman laughs and smiles at his hyung. There was nothing better than knowing that Kyungsoo was happy. And that he was the reason for it.

"What do I get as a reward?" Jongin teases. They had made a bet whether Jongin would be able to get over an 85 on his next math test.

"Nothing." Kyungsoo smirks.

Jongin frowned, clearly feeling cheated. "Hey! That's not fair. Do you know how many hours I suffered studyi-"

He was cut off when Kyungsoo pulled him in for a hug. It was the best and most overwhelming hug Jongin had ever received. His face was going red from being so close to his crush..and also because Kyungsoo was slowly cutting off his oxygen supply.

But Jongin didn't care.

He had Kyungsoo and that was all he really needed.

*Flashback ends*

"Jongin?...Jongin.." Sehun's voice drags his friend out of his day dream and Jongin sits up from his fetus position. They had two hours till dinner and he hadn't even started his homework. Jongin was sure Sehun also hadn't gotten any work done because of him.

"I think..I should just give up."

Sehun's eyes widened with sadness. "What? Why? He's all you'd ever talk about! Why are you giving up so easily?"

Jongin shook his head. "Honestly..was it all just a stupid crush? All I ever was to him was a younger brother. And now, I'm not even his favorite."

"You don't have to be his favorite for him to like you."

Jongin sighs heavily. "That's the thing! My efforts have probably just scared him away..It won't ever be the same again."

"Jong, we all know you don't mean half the inappropriate or erted things you say to him. I'm sure Kyungsoo does, too."

"I don't know any more..."

Sehun gets up from the bed and pats Jongin's shoulder one last time.

"It's okay..one sided loves are always painful.."

Jongin sniffles and look at him. "How do you know?"

Sehun sighs. "Maybe we're a bit too young but we can't help who we fall for."

"Wait..I don't want to incorrectly assume things again but, you're gay..right?"

Homouals weren't uncommon in school, or anywhere in Korea. Luhan's parents were gays and he was adopted by his two fathers. Everyone in their group of friends didn't mind which gender one preferred. That's what Jongin loved about their friendship.

Sehun nods hesitantly and Jongin thanks him for his honesty. With a smaller , Jongin and Sehun were the best roommates for each other.

"Why can't I be older? Why can't be nova be an age-changer?" the dark-skinned male complains but they both knew Jongin loved his teleportation nova.

"That nova would . Imagine turning into a wrinkly old man." He shuddered at the thought. "Anyway, I've got to go but I'll be back later so we can go to cafeteria together...Do you want to sit with Tao and me? That is, only if you're not comfortable sitting with Kyungsoo hyung.."

Jongin nods. "Yeah."

"Great. We've got your back. What are friends for, right?"

Jongin gave Sehun a grateful smile and Sehun put his arms over his head like a heart.

"Saraghae-"

"Get out, oh my god!" Jongin complains and falls back onto the bed with a laugh.

Sehun chuckles and shuffles around the room, grabbing his phone and room key. Just before Sehun slipped out the door, Jongin calls out.

"Love you too Sehunnie."

Sehun only smiles before leaving the room, gently closing the door.

-

"Did something happen here?" Jongdae breaks the silence at the table. It was obvious some people were not happy with each other. Minseok only looked from one person to the next while Luhan searched for the missing sophomore that would have usually popped up into the seat next to Kyungsoo by now.

"Where's Jongin?" Luhan asks and Kyungsoo stays quiet, mixing his curry rice.

"Yeah, Soo, where's-"

"I don't know, nor do I care." he says sharply and Jongdae immediately changes the topic.

"S-So! Baekhyun, you finally decided that Chanyeol should put his long good for nothing legs to use?"

Baekhyun looks over to the giant who didn't have a tray of food. There was only a glass of water in front of him that Joonmyun had been kind enough to get for everyone.

If he wasn't hungry why did he even come to dinner?

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. Chanyeol didn't even look at him, simply continuing to scroll on his phone.

"I wouldn't know because I'm only a piece of trash." Baekhyun says almost angrily, emphasizing the last word.

The other male was still unaffected. Jongdae looked at Chanyeol before turning his head to look at Baekhyun. The first thing he thought of was a lover's quarrel but decided that for his own safety, he should keep his mouth shut.

"Aren't you hungry, Chanyeol?" Joonmyun asks, offering him some food but the said male shakes his head.

"No, I'm fine."

Minseok only sighs, not liking how low the energy was at the table today.

-

There was a knock on the door and Baekhyun pulled his earphones out. He had returned to the dorms, taken a quick shower, and planned for the night to be peaceful and stressless. The last person he wanted to think about was Chanyeol.

"One second." Sliding off his bed, Baekhyun walked over  to the door and pulled it open.

"Baekhyun." Yixing says with a smile and Baekhyun straightens himself up.

"Hey."

"I told you earlier that I was going to stop by."

Baekhyun runs a had through his wet hair. "Right, give me a quick second. I'-"

"Mind if I come in?"

Baekhyun shakes his head. "Not at all. Kyungsoo hyung is out right now."

Yixing nods and observes the room. Baekhyun disappears into the bathroom.

"By the way, Baekhyun..Joonmyun mentioned that you and Chanyeol aren't on very good terms."

Of course he did.

Baekhyun steps out holding Yixing's hoodie and shrugs.

"Chanyeol can do whatever he wants. I don't care."

"I thought you guys were getting along."

Baekhyun scoffed. "I thought so too but I guess not. He can go die in a hole!"

Yixing laughs at the shorter male's anger. He couldn't help but find Baekhyun adorable with that expression on his face.

"He called me a piece of trash! Trash!"

"Chanyeol's always like that. Don't take anything he says too personally."

"He's a jerk! An ! A big, fat-!"

"Yes Chanyeol is a terrible person." Yixing says, watching Baekhyun's hands tighten on his favorite hoodie.

Baekhyun looks down and he immeidately lets go of the fabric. "O-Oops-! I'm sorry.. I just got really carried away and-"

"It's okay."

The younger male sighs as he hands Yixing the clothing. "I don't know anymore. Chanyeol is too confusing an frustrating to deal with. It's best if I stay out of his business."

"Well, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

"Thanks, hyung..You should probably go. It's getting late."

Yixing nods and makes his way to the exit.

Just as Baekhyun opens the door for the senior, he spots Chanyeol making his way up the hall.

"Oh, Chanyeol." Yixing says calmly and Chanyeol only looks up at the sound of his name before continuing without a word.

"I'll see you tomorrow Baekhyun."

Yixing went down the other way. Baekhyun wanted to close the door to avoid any more contact with Chanyeol but his hand remained on the door handle. He waited until Chanyeol stood with his back face towards him, getting his key out of his pocket.

"You're not hungry?" Baekhyun manages to say and Chanyeol shakes his head before walking into his room. The door closes with a small slam and Baekhyun lets out a breath that he didn't even realize he had been holding in.

Chanyeol changes into something more comfortable and brushes his teeth before going over to his desk to charge his phone.

Was I too hard on him today?

He doesn't hate me...right?


 

New update! What am I doing with my life lol..

Leave a comment! What do you think of the Kaisoo conflict? D: Why is Chanyeol acting so rudely to Baekhyun if he still cares?

I just want to say that your comments make me smile and laugh so hard! Thank you so much~~ <3 (≧◡≦) ♡