Chapter 17

Protector

The next morning came around and Baekhyun barely slept a wink. Something was off, he knew it.

"Baekhyun you have t- oh, you're awake.." Kyungsoo ran a hand through his messy hair that flopped over and stuck out in all different directions.

"Yeah..I guess." Baekhyun sat up with a sigh and walked to the bathroom.

At breakfast, people looked at Baekhyun weirdly and whispered amongst each other as he made his way around the cafeteria. When he walked onto the line, people immediately walked away and avoided making eye contact with him.

"Hyung, why is everyone looking at me like that..?" Baekhyun asks as he walks over to Kyungsoo on the soup line.

"Dunno. Did you do something?"

Baekhyun shook his head. "No..Is there something on my face..?"

They made their way to the table where everyone ate in silence - except Jongdae who was trying to lighten the mood with a few lame and unoriginal jokes.

"Hey Baekhyun!" The jolly brunet greeted and Baekhyun smiled back at him. Minseok and Luhan gave him a small wave before going back to their own plates of food.

"Where's Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asks, setting down his own tray and the said male's, as usual.

"He ate really quickly then left." Jongdae says with his mouth full of rice.

"I think he said something about phone calls..."

Baekhyun frowned but tried to brush off the disappointment. "Oh."

"So Baek, something happened yesterday? Everyone's been talking about it." Joonmyun mentions and Baekhyun swirls his soup with his spoon.

"Yeah."

"What happened yesterday?" Jongdae asks, clearly clueless.

Baekhyun sighed. "Honestly, I don't know. But, everyone is looking at me strangely now. Some girls came up to me, threatening me to stay away from Chanyeol.."

"They threatened you?" Minseok repeats in disbelief.

"It wasn't any serious but she took away my voice. Apparently that was her nova." Baekhyun explains before taking a sip of the stew.

"What did you do then?" Kyungsoo asks from beside him.

"Nothing. I couldn't attack her." Baekhyun says. "She said somethings about Chanyeol that pissed me off so I spoke back but that was it."

Joonmyun nodded to himself. "You have to be careful. Chanyeol is everyone's favorite."

Baekhyun looked down at his tray then to Chanyeol's that sat on the table, slowly getting colder.

Everyone's....favorite.

-

"It was so funny! You really should have seen it! He jus- Watch out!"

Luhan and Jongdae walked with Baekhyun to his third class when something- or someone- just zoomed right by them, knocking Baekhyun into the wall.

"Ah-!" Baekhyun yelped as the unknown force suddenly threw him to the wall, pain immediately spreading on his left shoulder.

"Baekhyun!" Luhan exclaims, immeidately rushing down to help the junior.

"Are you okay?" Jongdae asks, helping Baekhyun stand. He shut his yes at the shocks of pain but thanked his hyungs.

"What- ow- What was that?!"

"A speed nova." Jongdae responds.

"They must have really needed to get to class." Baekhyun remarks but Luhan shakes his head.

"I think they bumped into you on purpose. Jongdae and I weren't hit."

Baekhyun felt uneasy at Luhan's words. "W-Why would they do that?"

Jongdae looked down at the hall in which the person had ran down. "I don't know but I'm sure they had something against you."

"I think you should see Yixing at the nurses office. You should check your arm, and if anything, you have safe refuge there."

Baekhyun adjusts his backpack and cringed at the pain. 

"Do you want us to you ther?" Luhan offers but Baekhyun shakes his head.

"It's alright, hyung. I can go by myself. You and Jongdae go to class first. I'll be back soon."

-

There was a knock on the door.

"Yes, come in. What's th- Baekhyun?" Yixing stood up from the chair with a surprised expression.

"Hey.."

"What happened? Are you hurt?" The senior asks, concerned. He points for Baekhyun to take a seat in the patient's chair and the younger male quietly did so.

"I- I fell down the stairs." Baekhyun lies, hoping to brush off the incident. Unfortunately, Yixing was not convinced.

"Baekhyun, none of your first classes are on the second floor."

Baekhyun froze, having been caught. He hesitantly looks up at Yixing before playing with the hem of his shirt.

"I got pushed into the wall-"

"By who?" Yixing says immediately.

"No, it was an accident! It really was." Baekhyun repeats and Yixing stares at him.

"Fine..where are you hurt?"

Baekhyun raised his arm up hesitantly to his left shoulder. "Here."

Yixing puts his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder and the shorter male winces.

"Ah-!"

Yixing frowns and touches Baekhyun's shoulder more gently.

"Take off your blazer. I'll try to ease the pain slowly."

Baekhyun nodded before giving Yixing a tiny smile. "I guess I'm finally seeing your nova."

Yixing returns the smile as Baekhyun places the coat on his lap, leaving him in his white button down shirt.

"Mind ing it a little? I just need to see your shoulder." Yixing says and Baekhyun follows as he is directed.

At the sight of the sightly bluish red bruise, Yixing's frown deepened. "That's definitely got to hurt."

"It's doesn- ah! Okay it does!" Baekhyun yelps when Yixing takes a hold of his shoulder a bit more forcefully.

"How hard were you pushed that you got this huge bruise? Are you sure it was by accident?" Yixing looks at Baekhyun before observing the injury. His hand ran over Baekhyun's soft white skin.

"Y-Yeah." Baekhyun stuttered and cleared his throat.

"Tell me if you're feeling any better."

Yixing closed his eyes and put his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder, concentrating his energy to take away the pain. It wasn't his first time doing this and it definitely wouldn't be his last. But for some reason, he wanted to make sure Baekhyun was safe. His hand slowly ran down Baekhyun's arm, pushing the fabric of his shirt down. More of his skin was slowly being exposed but Baekhyun didn't think anything of it.

"It feels slightly better. It doesn't ache as much." Baekhyun says and Yixing opens his eyes. His face was only inches away from Baekhyun's.

"That's.." Yixing's gaze drifted down to his pink lips. "a relief."

"I-"

"Yixing, I have something to-"

Both Yixing and Baekhyun looked toward the door at the sound of the familiar voice.

C-Chanyeol..! 

"Oh Chanyeol," Yixing leaned back from Baekhyun, who scrambled to button his shirt and put his blazer back on. "What's up?"

The way Chanyeol stared at the both of them from the doorway made Baekhyun feel as if he had done something wrong. Baekhyun could see Joonmyun from behind Chanyeol but he didn't step far enough into the room.

"Nevermind. I guess I'll leave you two to do..whatever you guys were doing before."

Baekhyun blinked. What is he talking about? Did he misunderstand something?

"I've got time." Yixing insists but Chanyeol glares at him, his face holding the coldest expression. Not once did his eyes flicker to Baekhyun.

"But now I don't." With that, Chanyeol walks away and Baekhyun stands up from the chair hoping to go after the giant.

"Thanks Yixing. I honestly feel a lot better. I have to go to class now so, I'll see you around." Baekhyun says, bowing several times before grabbing his backpack and running out the room.

Yixing sighs, taking a seat in his chair, when Joonmyun comes in. Anyone could tell that just with the look on his face, he was heartbroken. It seemed as if he was a puppy who had just been kicked to the sidewalk. His eyes said it all.

"It was..Baekhyun?" Joonmyun tried to hold back his anger. It wasn't Baekhyun's fault. It wasn't Yixing's fault. It was his own. He wasn't good enough for Yixing but he couldn't help but feel hatred towards Baekhyun. 

"Who?" Yixing asks and Joonmyun bites his bottom lip.

"The person you were interested in. It was Baekhyun?"

Yixing shrugs. "I guess so."

Joonmyun lets out an annoyed breath and kicks the door behind him shut with a loud bang.

"Are you kidding me? You 'guess so'? Xing, I've been after you for so many years- you knew it too, yet you have your eyes on Baekhyun, the new kid?"

"Am I not allowed to?" Yixing asks, already knowing the answer.

"Have you not heard the rumors going around? He's not safe. And what were you two even doing? Why was he half undressed?!" Joonmyun was loosing his mind. This was the final blow to him.

"It's none of your concern."

"Yes, it is!" Joonmyun groans.

"Baekhyun was my patient. I'm not allowed to give out any information about his condition. How is this your concern?" Yixing challenges and Joonmyun runs a hand through his hair.

"Are you sure that's just what he is to you? Because if not, then I'm done, Yixing. I'm not going to chase after you anymore."

When the latter didn't say anything, Joonmyn took that as his answer and back away. His hand fell on the door handle and despite how heavy his heart felt, he opened the door and left without another word.

-

"Chanyeol! Chanyeol!" Baekhyun yells after the taller male as he fixes his shirt and blazer. Chanyeol took long strides and he walked further away from Baekhyun with each passing second.

"What happened in there, it's not what you think-"

Chanyeol stopped and turned around. His face looked more upset than angry. And for some reason, Baekhyun felt guilty.

"What I think? What do I think?" Chanyeol scoffed. "I don't ing know any more Baekhyun."

Baekhyun didn't know why they were arguing. "What don't you know? What's so hard for you to understand?"

"I don't care anymore, okay? I'm going to end this right now. Everything is going to end today."

"What are you ending? What is 'everything'?!" Baekhyun demanded. A few students walked by but said nothing.

"Nothing," Chanyeol shook his head with a pitiful laugh. "I can't believe it's really you. It all came down to this."

"Say something, Chanyeol. Explain this to me because I-"

"There's nothing to explain. And whatever happened with Yixing, I don't want to know."

Chanyeol turned around to walk away but Baekhyun pulled on his blazer with sharp tug.

"Yah-! Is this all I am to you? I thought we were friends." Baekhyun exclaims.

"Friends? It's always this. Don't get ahead of yourself." Chanyeol says with a cold stare. Baekhyun's grip loosened and his chest hurt. Chanyeol seemed like a whole different person. It wasn't the person who he enjoyed spending his 3 daily meals with. It wasn't the Chanyeol who didn't mind taking morning walks with him when they both couldn't sleep. He wasn't the Chanyeol who didn't mind helping him study for his upcoming tests despite how annoying Baekhyun may be when it came to studying.

"What did I do?" Baekhyun says, clearly hurt. His voice was shakey. "Why do you keep pushing me away? Everytime I think we're actually getting along, you throw me away and shut the door in my face. This isn't the first time and it doesnt feel like the last time. What did I do to make you angry because whatever is it, I have a side to the story too."

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol's frame from behind. The taller male turned his head around slightly.

"Whatever it is, I don't want to hear it."

-

"So what is that that you have to tell me Park?" Principal Kim says, folding her hands together on her desk. She eyed Chanyeol who sat before her with a serious expression.

"The next transfer student..." Chanyeol states, crossing one leg over the other. He knew that she couldn't do anything to him.

"Which one?"

"The one that doesn't have a nova." He says and Ms. Kim coughs, taken back by his sudden direct words.

"It's not that he doesn't have one-"

"No, it should stay that way. He shouldn't be allowed to have that kind of power." Chanyeol says. His mind was blocked. He wasn't thinking about Baekhyun as the person who he came to like over the passed few weeks. He saw Baekhyun as the only grandson of the Byun family.

"Park Chanyeol. This isn't somethin-"

"His family killed my grandfather!" Chanyeol raises his voice. His tone was sharp and harsh.

"That was more than 10 years ago."

"Are you saying that it is no longer important? My grandfather was the greatest novaist. He was the strongest and the kindest man. He shouldn't have died. He didn't deserve to die. " Chanyeol's voice cracked and he was trying to hold back his anger. His breathing was uneven and his hands were clenched into a fist.

Baekhyun leaned against the door of the principal's office, debating whether to listen. For such a grand hall, there were no security around and the door was left slightly open. Baekhyun wished he hadn't listened. Although he couldn't hear most of the conversation, Baekhyun could pick up Chanyeol's loud voice.

"So what do you want me to do about it?" Principal Kim asks.

Chanyeol takes a deep breath to relieve his frustration.

"Expel him."

 


More drama! >.< A lot of you compared this story to the anime/manga Gakuen Alice and yes, I just realized that it might be similar because Chanyeol and the main charater have a fire power but no, this story isn't based off of it or inspired by it. Also, I'm loving your guesses on Baekhyunn's nova! Som of you are almost there! ;D

Leave a comment! What do you think of Yixing and Baekhyun? Were you surprised that Chanyeol knew Baekhyun 'didn't' have a nova? What do you think happened to Chanyeol's grandfather?

Thank you for waiting and reading this new chapter! You guys are THE BEST! *jjang*!!~ <3