Chapter 40

Protector

Joonmyeon turned around to Chanyeol breathing heavily on the ground and pulled at the collar of his shirt.

"I ing told you not to! I told you-"

"You didn't do anything!" Chanyeol's voice was weak. "I had to do something. I couldn't..Baek-"

"Hyung!" Jongin ran up the stairs with Kyungsoo by his side. Yixing followed closely behind them.

"Minseok?" Kyungsoo asked.

Joonmyeon cocked his head over to their table. "He passed out. Find out what happened and make sure he gets a lot of rest."

Yixing nodded, gently resting his hand on Minseok's shoulder.

"Wheres Baekhyun?" Jongin asked, looking around before turning to Chanyeol.

Joonmyeon roughly let go of Chanyeol's shirt and shut his eyes.

"Chanyeol, where's Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo asked.

"H-He...He disappeared."

"What happened?" Yixing walked over.

"Minseok's nova went out of control, freezing everything it touched. It was about to freeze Baekhyun and I was too busy containing the ice from this side that Chanyeol- he shot a flame at Baekhyun-"

"He ing did what?!" Kyungsoo's voice boomed in the empty cafeteria.

Chanyeol kept his head down. Blood still ran through his veins, pumping at an abnormal pace.

"I had to." He said in a quiet voice.

"Are you insane, Yeol? You're ing crazy!" Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath, Jongin frowned.

"So..Baekhyun died?" Jongin asked.

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "I couldn't have killed him! I swear I didn't!"

Yixing narrowed his eyes at the burnt corner.

"He wasn't there when the flames went out?"

Joonmyeon shook his head in response.

"First," Yixing pulled on Minseok's arm. "Let's get Minseok to the nurse's office and then let's go find Baekhyun."

"What are you saying?" Chanyeol glared at Yixing. "It's not like he ran off! He just- He..He disappeared into thin air."

Jongin nodded in agreement and Kyungsoo bit his lip. Joonmyeon couldn't even look at Yixing in the eye.

"I'll explain everything at the office. Someone help me carry Minseok- Kyungsoo?"

The short senior nodded, putting the unconcious male onto his back. Jongin helped them down the stairs while Joonmyeon walked away without giving Chanyeol another glance.

Chanyeol pushed himself up from the floor, staring back at where Baekhyun stood before.

"Where'd you go..?"

-

"Kris.." Yixing slide open the door, noticing the tall blonde standing at his desk.

"Yo.-What the hell happened?" Kris watched as Kyungsoo came in and walked into the bed room.

"Long story. I think we all need to have a talk." Yixing shut and locked the door once Chanyeol was the enter.

"Why do all these strange things keep happening?" Jongin asked, clinging onto Kyungsoo. Chanyeol kept himself within a distance from the others.

"Strange?" Kris asked. "As in..?"

"Well, with Minseok, his nova went completely out of control. Then Baekhyun disappeared And..Chanyeol too.." Joonmyeon said, clearly provoking Chanyeol.

"But don't you guys have prohibition spells?" Kris asked. Everyone was silence.

"Yeah..some of us do." Jongin said, furrowing his eyebrows. "Then- Why were they allowed to use their novas?"

Yixing crossed his arms. "I think Ms. Kim is planning something."

Kris took a deep breath. "How much do you guys know?"

Joonmyeon blinked. "Know about what?"

Kris looked at Yixing and the latter nodded.

"I'm guess you guys don't then. Well, our school is in trouble. The protective force field that surrounds our campus has a tear in it."

Chanyeol listened as Kris explained. This is what Luhan and Baek were talking about eariler..

"A tear?" Joonmyeon asked carefully. The older male nodded.

"Somehow someone had been able to cut through the barrier and I think that's one of the reasons why these strange things keep happening."

Kyungsoo pursed his lips. He already knew of this.

"But that doesn't make any sense, why isn't it happening to everyone? Why does it happened to be Sehun? Or Chanyeol and Minseok?" Jongin asked.

Kris turned to Chanyeol and Joonmyeon.

"Explain to me again what happened earlier."

Joonmyeon took the lead. "Well, Jongdae complained that his drink wasn't cold enough so Minseok wanted to do him a small favor. However, when he used his powers, the ice started spreading everywhere like onto the table and soon onto the floor. All the students began to run out but Luhan, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were in the bathroom. When they came out, the ice was already spreading too much. I tried to use my powers to counter Minseok's but the ice was too much."

"So?" Kris listened.

"Baek-"

Chanyeol interrupted. "Baekhyun was cornered by the ice because I told him to stay there. By the time I noticed that he was trapped, the ice was already too close. So I decided to use my nova. I wanted it to melt the ice but everything went on fire. Joonmyeon used his nova to get rid of the flames but by then, Baek was already gone."

Kris nodded. "More evidence."

"What do you mean by that?" Kyungsoo asked.

Yixing stepped forward. "Follow me."

The group walked into the room where Minseok laid in bed. Kyungsoo had tucked him into the blankets and Minseok's breath was much steadier than before. Jongin was the first to walk over to the other bed where Sehun laid.

"Sehunie..Hurry and wake up so you can confess to Luhan.." He mumbled, taking a hold of his hand, before turning to Minseok.

Yixing put his hand over the other male and closed his eyes. A light gust of wind blew but nothing seemed to change.

"What did you just do?" Jongin asked, watching how peacefully Minseok slept.

"His nova energy is low, too." Yixing commented. He reached over and grabbed Minseok's arm.  "Do you see these?"

Everyone leaned in staring at the exposed skin.

"See what?" Joonmyeon asked.

Kris stood straight. "The spots. White spots."

Jongin leaned closer. "Yeah. What about them?"

Yixing explained. "Those were also on Sehun's shoulder..and," he turned to Chanyeol who was still at the entrance of the room. "Chanyeol."

Chanyeol lifted his head. "Me?"

"They were on you first. I don't know if you remember but when Baekhyun first transfered into our school, you had an accident."

*Flashback*

"Why are you using your nova outside of NP?" Yixing half scolds with a sigh. "You know you're not allowed to. Principle Kim even put you on prohibation. Especially in a forest, where literally everything is flamable.."

Chanyeol frowned. He knew it but it wasn't on purpose. "Well, there was no where else."

"What if your friends didn't find you? You would have gotten in so much trouble." Yixing says, only hoping that the student would understand the dangers of nova malpractice.

"I know, I know." Chanyeol huffs before slipping on his sweater. Yixing's eyes catch something.

"Wait.." The healer pulled Chanyeol's top up so that the fabric sat around his neck like a scarf.

"What?"

Yixing narrowed his eyes at a pale spot on Chanyeol's shoulder. "Was that always there?"

Chanyeol blinked, confused, and looked at his shoulder.

"I don't know. It doesn't hurt or anything." Chanyeol flexes his arm comfortably.

Yixing nods. "Alright then. You're good to go. I expect to not see you here the rest of the week. Classes are starting soon."

Chanyeol doesn't say another word as he puts his shirt on completely and waves at Yixing half heartedly before leaving with a mumbled, 'thanks, hyung.'

*end of flashback*

"I remember that...but what does that mean?" Chanyeol asked. Even he had noticed the several spots along his arm and hands.

Kris ignored his statement. "If my theory is correct, Jongin, you should have them too. Actually, no, you should have the most."

Jongin's eys widened and he pointed at himself. "M-Me? Why?"

Yixing walked over to him. "Can you lift up your shirt for a second?"

Kyungsoo helped to hold his shirt up and Yixing turned Jongin's body.

"J-Jongin.." Joonmyeon stared at the white spots scattered on Jongin's back.

"W-What? What happened?" He attempted to look at his back but for him, it was impossible.

"Where are they coming from?" Kyungsoo asked, running his fingers onto Jongin's spine. "Also, if Jongin has these, why isn't he unconcious like Sehun and Minseok? Chanyeol doesn't seem to be affected either.."

Kris leaned back against the wall. "Some of you are aware of this, but I know there are those who are not."

"Aware of what?" Joonmyeon asked.

"What Baekhyun's nova is." Kris finished, looking at Kyungsoo before his eyes drifted to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked down, avoiding eye contact.

Joonmyeon swallowed. "Now that I think about, he never told us."

"He has a theft nova." Kyungsoo says out loud. It was the first time he had said it. The first time he had revealed it to anyone.

Jongin's eyes widened. "H-Hyung? You knew?"

Kyungsoo nodded. "I was the first to find out, that he did not have a nova..or at least thats what he thought."

"He kept saying it was  secret or not a big deal.." Jongin commented with a frown.

"I only found out by accident but I'm pretty sure Chanyeol knew what his nova truly was before I did."

Chanyeol stared hard at the floor.

*Flashback*

"So that's why he died.."

Mrs. Byun nodded slowly. "My father was only trying to help. He didn't know. Both of them were great novaist, well known within our society."

Chanyeol sat back in the chair, avoiding eye contact with both Baekhyun and his mother. He didn't know how to feel. What was he supposed to say to this? All along, he had thought Baekhyun's grandfather had killed his grandfather by doing something unimaginable, something against the books of novastry. How else could his immortal grandfather have died? It all made sense now.

"So I do have a nova.." Baekhyun repeats.

"Principal Kim knows this, too. She knows of our families' history..which is why she allowed you into this school." His mother explains.

"What am I capable of doing?"

Chanyeol clarified it for Baekhyun, who didn't realize the dangers of his own nova.

"It's just as it is called. You have a theft nova. You have the power to take away people's novas, forever."

*end of Flashback*

"Baekhyun's nova can be considered far more powerful and dangerous than Chanyeol's." Kris said.

"What does his nova have to do with this?" Chanyeol asked. It still bothered him that Baekhyun's location was unknown. And it was his own fault.

"Jongin, you said your nova wasn't really working?" Yixing turned to the sophmore.

"Yeah.." Jongin froze. "Y-You're not saying that I think you're saying...are you?"

That was when everything clicked.

"Baekhyun....stole my nova?" Jongin asked slowly.

Chanyeol shook his head. "There's no way! Baekhyun wouldn't do that!"

"We're not saying he's doing it on purpose but look around, Chanyeol. It doesnt seem like any of them have control over their powers. Include yourself."

Chanyeol clenched his fist. "I didn't kill him."

"You don't know,  none of us do." Kyungsoo comforts.

"But that's what this bastard is implying!" Chanyeol raised his voice.

"No." Kris stared back at the tall senior. "I'm pretty sure you didn't kill him. Baekhyun teleported."

Jongin's knees went weak and Chanyeol's stared hardened. Joonmyeon blinked and took a deep breath.

"That's not possible." Kyungsoo muttered. "His nova isn't-" He cut himself off short at the realization.

"Exactly." Kris sighed. "See, at first, we thought Baekhyun could only take away others' novas but it doesn't seem to be the case."

"Then what about Sehun and Minseok? And Chanyeol? Are you saying that this is all Baekhyun's doing?"

Yixing shook his head. "That's where the tear in the forcefield comes in. As I'm sure you guys have all noticed, the weather has been colder than usual. That's because in the outside world, it's winter."

"What does that mean for us?" Jongin asked.

"It means that not only will our school become a dangerous environment, but the effects of our nova can escape our forcefield and enter the normal world. Natural disasters and unexplainable situations will occur. And there's nothing we can do about it."

"But there are people on the other side! Our parents, our family!" Jongin cried out. Kyungsoo patted his back.

"Which is why we need to find Baekhyun and figure out how to mend the tear. Ms. Kim arranged the nova test to pick out the strongest novaist. Those who are not strong enough and fail the test will either be held back or expelled."

"E-Expelled?" Joonmyeon asked.

Kris nodded.

"Right now, all our lives are in danger."

"What happens if we can't save the outside world?" Kyungsoo looked to Kris.

"Then our novas are going to self-destruct,..and by then, we won't be able to save ourselves either."

 


More drama!!! >.< Just a short update!

Leave a comment! What do you think will happen to Minseok and Sehun? Now that they know what Baekhyun's nova is, what will happen to Chanyeol and Jongin? Who do you think will pass or fail the nova test?

A lot of you were correct about Baekhyun teleporting! You guys are smart!! But I still have a few twists up my sleeve so don't get too comfortable~ ;D

Featured comment: ckat_09 : Oh. My. Gosh. Baekhyun just acquired Jongin's nova. He managed to teleport himself out of that situation!
I don't know....but I feel like baekhyun's nova isn't just removing other people's, but stealing it! Literally 'theft' because he acquires other people's novas. Waaaah

Until the next chapter~!