Chapter 38

Protector

"Nothing?" Ms. Kim turned around with a concerned expression.

Kris bowed his head, letting her know that his silence was his answer.

"This is not good..The other day there was a huge gust of wind that damaged the cafeteria windows. Then Yixing has reported to me that several students aren't feeling too well."

Kris raised his eyebrow, straightening himself. Ms. Kim walked away from the windows and took a seat at her desk.

"Wind...isn't that Sehun kid a wind nova?"

Ms. Kim nodded. "But he has a prohibition spell-"

"From what I've heard, students who have that spell still use their novas. Like Chanyeol."

The principal nodded. "That's expected of them. Which is why we have added the nova test in all the NP classes."

"A test?" Kris asked. It was his first time hearing this.

"Those who cannot control their novas will have them taken away. Students are carelessly using their powers as if they're toys. They've underestimated how dangerous they can be when misused." Ms. Kim says sternly. Kris takes in a deep breath.

"But for those students who are hardly allowed to use their novas, how is practice enough- Wait..taken away? What do you mean by that?"

The woman organized her papers and spoke casually. "Their novas will be gone forever."

"That's ridiculous, Ms. Kim! How can they protect themselves from the danger outside of this school? Our lives are different, and have been different, since birth." Kris exclaimed. How could the principal even think of taking away people's novas?

Ms. Kim paused. "It doesn't make a difference when the greatest danger is within our school grounds."

-

"How do you know if you like someone?"

Jongin looked up at Sehun, completely confused. Why would Sehun of all people ask this question.

"Why..?"

Sehun coughed as he pulled out the chair in front of Jongin in the library. Jongin smirked when he noticed Sehun's eyes trailing to a table behind him. The table with Luhan.

"Oh.. I see how this works."

Sehun's eyes directed back to Jongin, "W-What are you talking about?"

Jongin put his book down and put his elbows of the table with interest.

"Luhan's finally caught you, huh?"

" off, Jongin..!" Sehun frowned. He hated how Jongin was teasing him. The latter nodded with a shrug and continued reading.

"O-Okay sorry. Just answer my question." Sehun pulled Jongin's book down.

"You have to answer my question first."

Sehun groaned, thinking of an excuse. "M-My friend! He likes another guy and he wanted to know if he should go out with him or not."

Jongin nodded with a knowing smile. "Oh really? Explain the situation more."

"Well..there's a guy..that likes my friend. And my friend didn't really notice him at first because he liked someone else. But after he got rejected he kind of began to notice that the other guy was always there for him. Whenever he was lonely the other guy would always be there to talk to him. He'd notice that he was by himself or needing help. Actually..he'd been always been there but my friend only had eyes for someone else who didn't see him that way. But now..he's not sure if the first guy wants him anymore because of how mean he was to him. He said some mean things to him and now he regrets it because he didn't really mean half the things he said."

*flashback*

"Hyung," Sehun stopped and looked at the senior. 

"Hm?"

"You like me right?" Sehun asked with a straight face. 

Luhan choked on his own saliva and felt his cheeks go pink. 

"W-Of course I like you..! You're my favorite dongsaeng.."

"No as in you want to kiss me and date me." Sehun corrected.

Luhan paused before running a hand through his hair. "Fine, I do. I do like you a lot and I do want you to be my boyfriend." He was prepared to hear the rejection.

Sehun blinked. "Then be my boyfriend."

Luhan's eyes widened. "W-What?!"

"I said, be my boyfriend. You like me right hyung? So you'd do anything for me.." Sehun said again.

"Okay." Luhan said happily, leaning over to the taller male, when Sehun pushed him back. 

"My fake boyfriend."

 It hit Luhan like a ton of bricks. 

"F..Fake? Why... What would I be your fake boyfriend for?" Luhan asked, feeling his heart drop to his stomach within a second.

"I...like Chanyeol hyung. I'm sure you know that."

"But what does this have to do with-"

"Hyung, pretend to be my boyfriend and make Chanyeol jealous." Sehun explained as if it was really that simple. 

"Y-you just want to use me? To get Chanyeol?" His voice cracked.

Sehun put his hand in his pocket, nodding. "I mean, its a win-win situation. You like me, and I'm letting you date me. I like Chanyeol so we can make him jealo-"

Sehun stared at the ground, feeling a stinging pain on his cheek.

"You've got to be ing kidding me." Luhan cursed. His eyes watered and his hand stung as blood rushed to his palm.

"I like you Sehun-ah, but I'm not a tool."

Sehun looked at Luhan, not much emotion as usual. "Did you think I'd actually date you? For real? You know, to me, hyung, you're a really pretty girl. You're nice, kind, and everything else. But hyung, I'm not into girls. So you can get lost. You're too pretty for my taste." Sehun says, before turning around and walking away. 

*end of flashback*

By the time Sehun was done talking, Jongin was all up in his face.

"I see. Hm.. seems to me like you like him alot."

Sehun's cheeks reddened. "I-It's not me! My friend!"

"Right, I almost forgot." Jongin says, plopping back into his seat. "Your friend was basically in the same situation as my Kyungie. Except Kyungsoo didn't have a crush on someone. Kyungsoo said a lot of mean things to me to get me to back off. I was really hurt by that but before I knew he, he pulled me back and honestly, even though he hurt me, I still loved him."

"Hm.."

"So..you like Luhan?" Jongin asked arrogantly.

"Believe whatever you want." Sehun got up and walked to the exit of the library.

But, Jongin wasn't stupid. He smirked as he watched how Sehun's head turned towards Luhan's direction before he walked out of the room.

"What an idiot."

-

"Stop it!" Baekhyun laughed as Chanyeol squeezed his hand. They walked back to their dorms afterschool together and Chanyeol was always teasing him.

"Fine but if you fail your finals then you're getting a punishment! You're forcing me out of your room all the time, I swear, if all your "studying" doesn't pay off-" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun who squirmed to get away.

Chanyeol paused when he noticed Sehun watching them. They stood a few feet apart.

Baekhyun smiled and approached the sophomore first. "Hey Sehun!"

Sehun gave him half a smile before his eyes went to Chanyeol. What is it about Chanyeol that he liked before? Now that he thought about it, he and Chanyeol didn't have much in common.

"Hey." Chanyeol spoke, however there wasn't much of an awkward air between the three.

"It's good to see you guys so happy." Sehun comments, noticing how Chanyeol's arm was resting at Baekhyun's waist.

How would it feel to be able to hold Luhan like that- wait...what?

Sehun snapped out of his thoughts.

"I've got some homework to finish so..See you guys around." Sehun says, making his way first.

I must be going crazy.

-

Two days later, finals were over and it seemed as if everyone was finally normal again. Stress was lifted from their shoulders and students were bustling and chattering with their friends as usual.

Jongin slid into the seat across from Sehun at the cafeteria.

"You're not sitting with Kyungsoo?"

"I will," Jongin smiled at the name of his boyfriend being mentioned. "But I wanted to talk to you first."

"About..?"

"How's your friend doing?"

Sehun choked on his soup. "H-He's g-good."

"Did he confess his feelings yet?"

"No." Sehun said.

"So he's planning to right now?" Jongin asked.

"No."

"You sure?"

Sehun looked up at his friend. "Y-Yah! How am I supposed to know what my friend is doing or what he wants to do with that guy!? If you're so curious go ask him yourself."

Jongin nodded. "Fine."

Just when Sehun thought Jongin was going to actually leave him alone, he was wrong.

"So Sehun, when are you going to ask Luhan out?"

Sehun groaned and shoved a spoon full of rice into Jongin's mouth. "Just zip it."

-

"Holy shi-!" Baekhyun felt himself hit something, or rather someone and fell to the ground with a groan.

"Sorry-Oh, Baekhyun..." Sehun looked down to see Baekyun on top of his legs. The both of them had bumped into each other late at night. It was now 12 and it was darker than usual.

"Sehun? What are you doing out so late?" Baekhyun allowed Sehun to help him up.

"I wanted to take a walk and clear my mind..I like the cold wind at night."

Baekhyun dusted off his pants.. "Oh..me too, tests have been stressing me so much I wanted to be by myself for a bit..Do you want to talk about it?"

Sehun pursed his lips inward before taking a deep breath. "I..I think I like Luhan but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to talk to him face to face because I'm too embarrassed so I asked Jongin for advice but he's being a dickhead so..I don't know, I thought I'd ask you."

"You finally realized, huh?" The junior teased, nudging Sehun's side. They slowly made their way back to the dorms.

"Not you too." He frowned and Baekhyun laughed.

"It's fine to admit to your feelings. And sometimes it just takes longer to realize them."

"But I feel bad..I've said some mean things to him and I feel like I have no right to like him." Sehun says with his head down.

Baekhyun put his hand on Sehun's shoulder. "We all make mistakes. I'm sure Luhan knows that you didn't mean what you said. You're not a bad kid, Sehun."

"And..how do I even know if I actually like Luhan? What if I'm just going through a phase right now?"

"What would you do if Luhan moved on and started liking someone else?" Baekhyun asked.

Sehun looke up with an upset frown. "He can't! He liked me first!"

Baekhyun laughed. "That's not a legit reason, Sehun. I'm asking how you would feel."

Sehun kicked at the dirt. "I mean.I wouldn't like it." Just the thought of Luhan chasing after someone else made him sad. Would Luhan comfort them the way he did to him? Would Luhan do whatever it took to get their attention?

"That's it?"

"I would pull him by his arm and make sure he only looks at him. He shouldn't be looking at other girl or guys because I'm the only one he's supposed to like. I'm the only person who he can have eyes for. I can make Luhan happier than anyone else can. Hell, just my existence makes him happy. I would hold his hand when I want him near me, hug him when he is, and kiss him if he was lonely.." Sehun huffs.

Baekhyun smirks. "Then you have your answer."

-

"Wha-"

Luhan paused as he swung his dorm door open in annoyance at the sight of a tall sophomore.

"S-Sehun-ah?"

Sehun bit his lower lip, shoving his hands in his pockets, and looked to the side. He avoided Luhan's eyes despite showing up at the latter's room. When Sehun didn't say anything, Luhan peeked his head out into the hallway but saw no one else outside. It was 3 in the morning and Luhan was always grumpy when someone woke him from his precious sleep. With Minseok as a heavy sleeper, Luhan had gotten up to end the knocking on their door.

"Do you... uh, do you need something?" Luhan asked.

Sehun looked at Luhan. Although his face didn't hold much emotion, his eyes said everything. Luhan's heart started beating quickly with how close Sehun's face was his.

"I.."

Luhan's eyes widened when Sehun's eyes flickered to his lips.

"I...I like-"

Sehun didn't get a chance to finish his sentence before he collapsed onto Luhan, completely blacking out.

 


As promised, another chapter is up! I'm thinking that there will only be 12 more chapters for this fanfiction! >.<

Leave a comment! What do you think about Sehun's feelings for Luhan? What is the threat that Ms. Kim is talking about? What will happen during the nova test? Why did Sehun black out?!

Featured comment: Jsheshe : Oh crap what's gonna happen I hope Jongin doesn't get expelled and no it couldn't have been Sehun why would he do such a thing. I wonder if the principal knows people are going to loose their powers and so they are using the NP test to expel the students who aren't strong enough to hold on to their Novas O.O so many thoughts going through my head but I can't wait until the next chapter.

Thanks for reading~!! :D <3