Chapter 26

Protector

"Baek-!" Chanyeol held his hand up, greeting the shorter male as they coincidentally stepped out of their dorms. However, Baekhyun's reaction was completely different from what he had thought he'd receive.

Instead of giving him a bright smile or at least returning the wave, Baekhyun simply closed the door behind him and proceeded to walk down the hall, leaving Chanyeol blinking in shock and confusion.

It took a few seconds for Chanyeol to get his senses back before he jogged after Baekhyun and slowed down to match the latter's pace.

"Baekhyun! Hey, why didn't you come over yesterday? I was waiting for you all night but you didn't-"

"Sorry I'm a busy person so I'll be going first." Baekhyun says, barely sparing Chanyeol a glance before walking ahead.

Chanyeol frowned as he watched Baekhyun walk away and out of the dorm building. Maybe he didn't sleep well, Chanyeol thought.

-

"Oh my god I swear I was going to give in for a second!" Baekhyun put a hand to his chest and felt his heart beating like a stampede of rhinos. He tried to take in a few breaths of fresh air as he made his way to the cafeteria. "Baekhyun, you have to have a lot more will power than that if you want to avoid him-"

"Avoid who?"

Baekhyun let out a girly shriek and turned to the person who now had slung their arm over his shoulder.

"Yah! Jongin! You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

Jongin shrugged and mumbled an unsincere apology. "Anyway, who are you trying to avoid? Is it anyone I know?"

Baekhyun's eyes widened and he immediately shook his head. "N-No I'm not avoiding anyone, aha!"

Jongin looked at him with the most 'you're an idiot if you think I'll believe you' expression. Baekhyun pursed his lips inward.

"Is it Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun almost tripped on the ground at his name. "W-Why would I avoid him?"

Jongin narrowed his eyes. "Well, you didn't go over to Chanyeol's yesterday. And you're not with him right now. You two usually come in for breakfast together.."

"Pfft," Baekhyun swallowed. "Chanyeol probably slept in-"

"I saw him walking behind you before though. He had a grumpy frown on his face, as if he had been rejected by his best friend.." Jongin provoked. Baekhyun lifted his head and turned around but saw no one there.

"Just kidding. I went to check up on Kyungsoo and when I left the building, Chanyeol was already awake on his way out of the building."

Baekhyun let out a sigh.

"Besides, my boyfriend told me everything."

Baekhyun frowned. "Remind me to never tell him anything."

Jongin laughed. "Don't worry. I understand your motive. There was a time when I wanted to avoid Kyungsoo hyung to show him and myself that I could live without him...but obviously that didn't work."

"I mean, I'll talk to him eventually but even you said it yourself, I'm almost always with him. Kyungsoo even thought we were dating!" Baekhyun explains as they reach the cafeteria building.

Jongin cocked his head to the side. "You're not?"

Baekhyun groaned and pulled the door open and let themselves in.

At the table, Minseok and Luhan were just about to sit down but it seemed that Chanyeol wasn't there yet. Half of Baekhyun was relieved but he knew he'd have to face the giant sooner or later. Hurriedly, Baekhyun went over to the food area and got two trays, as usual.

Let's see..Chanyeol likes to have soup in the morning.

Baekhyun walked over to the soup section and got a bowl of rice of himself and one for Chanyeol. He grabbed the bowls and looked at the options.

*Flashback*

"Yah..Why aren't you drinking your soup?" Baekhyun asked. It had only been a few days since he started getting Chanyeol's breakfast again.

Chanyeol frowned. "I don't like this flavor. It's too spicy and salty."

Baekhyun stared at the untouched soup. "You drank it yesterday."

"I don't want it." Chanyeol insists, picking at his side dishes.

Baekhyun sighed and reached over to Chanyeol's tray. Carefully, he switched their bowls and placed his soup in front of Chanyeol.

"It's seollongtang. I only had a few-" Before Baekhyun could even look back up and finish his sentence, Chanyeol had already eagerly taken several spoonfuls.

"-sips."

"It's good..See, why do you keep to good stuff for yourself?" Chanyeol ate a large spoonful of rice and drank more soup.

Baekhyun blinked, shaking his head but there was already a smile on his face.

*end of flashback*

Baekhyun grabbed a bowl from the stack and opened the seollongtang container. He filled the bowl before getting one for himself as well. Next, he walked over the side dishes and got two small plates of kimchi, beans, and radish.

Just when he was going to reach for the last plate of ham, his arm bumped into someone else's.

"Sorry- Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun looked over to see Yixing smiling at him. He widened his eyes.

"Oh-! Hyung!"

Yixing reached over and placed the plate of ham on one of Baekhyun's trays. "Have it. I can wait for more later."

"Thanks."

"Still getting breakfast for Chanyeol?" Yixing asks and Baekhyun nods.

"I'm used to it now anyway. I do it for him, not because he orders me to."

"I see..Need any help?" Yixing offers.

"I'm okay. I'm just going to give this to-"

Baekhyun noticed the dark haired giant enter the cafeteria and head up stairs where they usually sat. It was impossibly not to spot him. Girls still fangirled as he passed by but quickly noticed his gloomy mood.

"Actually..uh, Yiixng, if you don't mind, can I sit with you?"

Yixing raised his eyebrow but nodded nonetheless. "Yeah. Sure."

Baekhyun held both trays and brought them upstairs. As expected he found Chanyeol sitting in his seat waiting for Baekhyun to return with their food.

Slowly, Baekhyun approached Chanyeol and set their food on the table before him.

"You came so early yet you-" Chanyeol frowned when he noticed his stepbrother with Baekhyun. "-came with him."

"Sorry." Baekhyun mumbled before carrying his own tray and turning to walk away with Yixing.

"Where are you going?" Jongdae asks and Baekhyun turns around.

"I'm eating with Yixing hyung today. I have something to tell him."

Chanyeol's lips curved into a frown but he didn't say anything else. Baekhyun silently thanked him for not making a fuss.

"Let's go." Yixing says and leads him over to a small table next to Sehun and Tao's.

"So..why don't you want to sit with the others today?" The senior asked as he set his tray down.

Baekhyun bit his lip. "Rather than them, just.."

"One person? You don't want to sit with.."

Baekhyun hesitantly nodded. It wouldn't hurt to tell Yixing, right?

"Is it Chanyeol?" Yixing hits home run right away and Baekhyun doesn't even bother to deny it.

"Yeah."

"What did he do this time?"

Baekhyun shook his head. "He didn't do anything. It's just me."

Yixing scooped up some rice. "I have time to listen."

"Well," Baekhyun sipped his soup. "I just feel like I'm hanging around Chanyeol too much. Everyone suddenly thinks that we're dating and they find it weird when I'm not with him, vise versa."

"So you're forcing yourself to stay away from him?"

Baekhyun nods.

"But dont you enjoy being with Chaneyol? It sure seems like he likes hanging out with you."

Baekhyun laughs a little and shakes his head. "I do but I'm sure a week won't kill him."

Yixing smirks before looking over his shoulder. "Really? He seems to miss you already."

Baekhyun pauses and looks up, peering over to where his friends sat. Baekhyun put his spoon down into his bowl at the sight of a pouting Chanyeol eating his food by himself. Why did it seem so wrong? Part of him begged to go back to Chanyeol and forget his mission but he shook it off, convincing himself that Chanyeol was just being his normal cold self.

"H-He's fine." Baekhyun said quietly before looking away and picking up his spoon again.

-

Four days later, Chanyeol decided to approach Yixing. With an annoyed expression on his face, he made his way over to the medical office. 

Yixing had been in the middle of his lunch break when the doors burst open, revealing a very upset Chanyeol. He spared his brother a quick glance before going back to his tray of food.

"You.." Chanyeol stopped beside the desk Yixing sat at with a frown on his face.

"What brings you here?"

"Where is Baekhyun?" There was a hint of impatience in his voice.

"Why are you asking me?"

Chanyeol  stares down at Yixing's figure who continues to eat.

"He's been sticking to you like a ing magnet. At first he said he wanted to eat breakfast with you so I let him but five days is too much. I hardly even see him and he hasn't come to any of our homework or tutoring sessions. He's even hanging around with Jongin, Sehun and that panda kid. He doesn't talk to me and when he does, he stutters out lame one syllable answers. My assumptions all involve you talking behind my back."

Yixing nods at his story with an amused smile. "So what do you want me to do?"

"Return Baekhyun to me." Chanyeol demands.

"I don't have him." Yixing says in an innocent tone.

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes as his step brother looked at him.

"Bull. What lies did you spit out this time?"

Yixing laughs. "I really don't have him, Yeol."

"You-" Just when Chanyoeol was about to argue back, Yixing stood up and pulled on the junior's shirt collar.

"Chanyeol..-"

"What the hell are you doing?!" Chanyeol raises his voice when Yixing's face is only inches from his own. He didn't appreciate how roughly Yixing was tugging him. "Let go-"

"You have another white spot on your neck." Yixing says, closely examining the skin. Chanyeol fights the urge to shove Yixing away. He hated how the older male held his shoulder and pulled on the collar of his shirt, exposing his collar bones.

"What are you talking about? What do you mean another?"

*flashback*

"Why are you using your nova?" Yixing half scolds with a sigh. "You know you're not allowed to. Especially in a forest, where literally everything is flamable"

Chanyeol frowned. He knew it but it wasn't on purpose.Prohibition spells were weaker during school games like scavernger hunts. It would have been the only time he'd be able to use his powers. "Well, there was no where else."

"What if your friends didn't find you? You would have gotten in so much trouble." Yixing says, only hoping that the student would understand the dangers of nova malpractice.

"I know, I know." Chanyeol huffs before slipping on his sweater. Yixing's eyes catch something.

"Wait.." The healer pulled Chanyeol's top up so that the fabric sat around his neck like a scarf.

"What?"

Yixing narrowed his eyes at a pale spot on Chanyeol's shoulder. "Was that always there?"

Chanyeol blinked, confused, and looked at his shoulder.

"I don't know. It doesn't hurt or anything." Chanyeol flexes his arm comfortably.

Yixing nods. "Alright then. You're good to go. I expect to not see you here the rest of the week. Classes are starting soon."

Chanyeol doesn't say another word as he puts his shirt on completely and waves at Yixing half heartedly before leaving with a mumbled, 'thanks, hyung.'

*end of flashback*

"Last time it was on your shoulder." Yixing explains, motioning for Chanyeol to lift up his shirt. Chanyeol grumbles but does so anyway. Yixing's eyes widen before he stares at the white mark on Chanyeol's right shoulder.

"I think it got bigger..Are you sure it doesn't hurt?"

Chanyeol shakes his head. "I didn't even notice them."

Yixing touched the two marks with his fingertips. Chanyeol flinhed away but slowly allowed Yixing to examine his body. There were also a few on his arms, one on two of his fingers and even several on his torso.

"I don't know what is causing this but I suggest you come back in another few weeks.." Yixing says with a concerned expression. Chanyeol didn't know whether the senior was trying to scare him or was actually being sincere.

"I'm fine." Chanyeol mumbles. Yixing gripped onto his forearm tightly.

"I'm guessing that the older ones are the bigger ones and the tinier spots are the newer ones.."

"Is it a deadly disease?"

Yixing blinked. "I don't think so-"

"Then I'll be fine."

"But you should really-"

"Hyung, Joonmyeon hyung told me to take this visitor to you-oh.." the familiar voice made both heads turn to the door. Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun who stared at the two stepbrothers with a surprised expression. Was Baekhyun surprised that Chanyeol was there, or that Yixing's hands were all over his chest?

"Who is it?" Yixing stares at the man who comes into the doorway view. Yixing's lips tighten in a thin line and he takes his hands off Chanyeol. The unior immediately pulls his shirt back on.

The taller male smiles at Yixing, making his way into the room, leaving Baekhyun at the door way. His ears were red and all he wanted to do was leave. He had just seen Chanyeol's sculpted chest and he felt more awkward than ever to have walked in on that.

Chanyeol takes two long strides over to where Baekhyun stood.

"C-Chan-" The taller male grabbed Baekhyun's hand and pulled him out of the building.There was no way he was going to let go of Baekhyun's hand after the shorter male had basically avoided him for more than half a week.

"It's been a while."The tall blonde man spoke, putting his hands in his pockets.

"It's only been half a year." Yixing talks back with a sarcastic expression.

"You're still as sassy as ever, Yixing-ah."

"And you're still an , Kris."

 


I just want to say, I expect none of you guys to read this because if you guys have seen the chaos, you will understand why I (and the entire EXO fandom) have died and resurrected:

my reactions:

      


ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Ok back to our story! ohuhuhue, Kris is here!!! I think it's time for some drama after all that fluff, don't you think? ;D

Leave a comment! How do you think Chanyeol feels baout Baek avoiding him? How much does Jongin really know? Does Yixing have any hidden motives towards Baekhyun? What will Chanyeol do to Baekhyun now? Who is Kris and what is he doing at the academy?

I'm interested to read all your predictions! ^o^

Featured comment :  myung-yeollipop :  dang i love Cloud 9 so much i have to listen to it while reading the Eng lyrics! ^^ my eyes widened when Kai appeared and suggesting to do it on Baek's bed when the owner of said bed is in the same room! i was like "uh oh, someone's in trouble". HAHAHAHA.

*Once again, as always, thank you for being so patient with my updates and thank you to those who upvoted recently! All your comments and upvotes are greatly appreciated~ Feel free to share this story with a friend or another Baekyeol shipper you know ;D <3 xo