Chapter 45

Protector

Help! Chanyeol!

Chanyeol's eyes raged with anger when Kris stopped him once more from entering the forest. 

"What the Kris!?" Chanyeop could not contain his anger. "Baekhyun needs me! He's calling for my help!" 

Kris held him back, already knowing Ms. Kim's plan. However, he knew Chanyeol would fall for the trap too easily. 

"Trust me, Chanyeol, you can't go in! Even for Baekhyun-"

"Cut that bull." Chanyeol threatened. His breathing was ragged and even Joonmyeon stood back in fear. 

"Kris-" Joonmyeon only prayed that Chanyeol would not use his nova on him. Most of the school population was still watching this scene play out. 

"Kris. ing. Wu. I swear I will burn you to ashes if you don't get out of my way." Chanyeop said lowly. Joonmyeon immediately tugged on Kris' arm. 

"Just let him in-"

"You don't know what you're-"

Chanyeol cut him off. "No! You don't understand! I swore to myself that I'd protect Baekhyun if it was the last thing I do! That old hag won't get in my way!" Flames errupted in Chanyeol's hands and the student audience gasped. 

"Chanyeol!" Joonmyeon scolded. He cursed, knowing there wasn't a close source of water he could use to counter his nova.

"Y-You're being stupid. Baekhyun isn't-"

Before Kris could get another word out, Chanyeol's flames worsen and an ember burned the blonde's arm. He yelped out in pain, causing Joonmyeon's eyes to widen. 

Help me, Yeol!

Taking this as his chance, Chanyeol made his way into the forest. This time no one stopped him but other students muttered to each other, gasping and questioning his actions.

"Are you okay!?" Joonmyeon exclaimed, noticing the burned skin on Kris's arm. "I'll get Yixin-"

"You should have stopped him!" Kris yelled, looking up at the senior before turning to the forest. Chanyeol was long gone and no more students were admitted in. 

"W-what?" 

Kris winced in pain, gripping tightly onto his arm. "That- He must have thought he heard Baekhyun call for help."

"Yeah-"

"That ing idiot," Kris breathed heavily. The burn was getting worse. It was unlike any burn Joonmyeon had seen. Just from the tiny flame, a patch of Kris' skin was nearly seared off and blood dripped down his arm. Yixing was supposedly on his way after receiving Joonmyeon's signals. 

"-Those were not from Baekhyun! Those voices he heard were Ms. Kim using her nova. I was trying to tell that tard that Baekhyun is being-ah , a bait!"

Joonmyeon froze, throat going dry. "B-Bait? For what?"

Kris looked him in the eye and Joonmyeon stepped back, shaking his head. 

"No way..but Chanyeol- he-"

Joonmyeon made a move to go into the forest but Kris weakly grabbed his arm with all the strength he had left. 

"You can't go in..it's too late." Kris fell to his knees just as Yixing arrived on the site. 

"What the hell happened to your arm?" Yixing examined the bloody burn before focusing his energy into his hand. 

Joonmyeon knelt beside both of them. "Yixing..Chanyeol, he's going to disappear! You, we, have to help him! Do you know where the others are?!"

Kris regained some strength as Yixing worked on his injury. 

"Have some more faith in Baekhyun." Yixing spoke calmly. "He wouldn't hurt Chanyeol and you know it'd be the same vise versa."

"However, Ms.Kim is a very manipulative person.." Kris added with a frown. 

Joonmyeon muttered a curse under his breath. "Dammit!"

-

Chanyeol breathed heavily as he ran past every tree, each one nearly identical to the next.

 Over here! 

He whipped his head around to the direction of Baekhyun's voice. 

"Baekhyun?!"

The leaves rustled as the wind whispered into his ear. Nova energy tingled his fingertips and his feet took off almost immediately.

"Baek-" Chanyeol's eyes widened as he spotted Baekhyun laying on the floor next to a tree. His eyes were gently shut and his body laid motionless.

"Baekhyun!" He exclaimed and rushed over to where his unconscious boyfriend was. However, once he began to approach him, a strong gust of wind blew him backward, dead leaves and dirt blowing around him. He shielded his eyes. They narrowed once a familiar figure came into view from behind another tree.

"Well, it's great to see you, Chanyeol-ssi." Ms. Kim spoke with a sly smile.

"Did you do this!?" Chanyeol barked, giving her a cold glare before turning back to Baekhyun. Just when he was about to step closer, Ms. Ki put her hand up.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Chanyeol looked over his shoulder to her. "Why the hell not? What did you do Baekhyun?!" His voice was sharp and the sight of Baekhyun helplessly laying there made his blood boil.

"Why so fast to accuse, Chanyeol? How do you know it's my fault?" She questions, making cautious movements towards the junior. Chanyeol watched her closely.

"Stop playing your stupid mind games. You're the only person one here."

"Hm, is that so?" Ms. Kim crossed her arms over her chest. She was dressed in her usual professional attire but her hair was let down to sit on her shoulders.

Chanyeol ignored her comment and stepped closer to Baekhyun, who laid at the bumpy tree roots. Suddenly, flames circled into a ring around Baekhyun's body and the tree, taking Chanyeol back by surprise.

Ms. Kim snickered. "I told you."

"Stop this!" Chanyeol yelled at her.

"Again, why do you think this is my doing? Aren't you the one fire nova, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol stared back at the flames, feeling the intense heat against his skin. The embers did not burn the ground but flickers of fire crackled.

"I-I'm not doing anything." Chanyeol muttered, not understanding why the fire had appeared.

"You seem confused." Ms. Kim walked over, standing just a foot away from Chanyeol, who was too in shock to move away. All he could see were the flames and Baekhyun trapped in it.

"Have you ever wondered why you met Baekhyun again?" Ms. Kim was soft but assertive. "Why after so many years, you two are bound together in such a romantic relationship, despite your rough family history? It's because you two were fated to fall in love. Quite a story..but I'm afraid you two are not going to have a fairy tale ending. As we all know, history must repeated itself."

Chanyeol's jaw tightened and his breathing stuttered. "W-What are you trying to say?"

Ms. Kim stared at Baekhyun. "We both know what happened years ago..Your grandfather lost his powers to Baekhyun's grandfathers. He only believed he was doing good for your poor old man."

Chanyeol's eyes widened and he glared at the woman beside him. He hand clenched into a tight fist, holding back the urge to strangle her.

"Don't talk about my family that way." He said between his teeth. Ms. Kim didn't feel or seem threatened in any way.

"I'm just stating the facts. If you don't know, your powers have been harming everyone, Baekhyun included. However, I'm sure you already know that. Your burning powers and cold attitudes have really inflicted a lot of pain on your so called boyfriend."

"I love Baekhyun more than you can imagine." Chanyeol spoke honestly. He willed for the fires to die down but they did nothing of that sort.

"What-?!"

Ms. Kim  shook her head. "Lack of control and passion. How did you think you'd ever pass the nova test?"

"Is this the test?" He asked.

"Unfortunately not. Once Baekhyun gets overheated, he'll eventually melt because, we all know, people like us don't die normally." Ms. Kim eyed Chanyeol, watching carefully for his reaction.

"Are you ing crazy?! Who you want is me, right? Leave Baekhyun alone." He begged, anger not well hidden.

Ms. Kim's lip curved into a smirk. "How much do you love Baekhyun?"

Chanyeol took a deep breath. "More than I've ever loved anyone."

"How do you think he feels about you?"

Chanyeol didn't hesitate. "He thinks he loves me more but I know his feelings will never be as strong as mine for him. I've never cherished and wanted to protect someone as much as I do to Baekhyun."

Ms. Kim sighed. "What a shame. I thought you'd be a more strong minded person. Your cold image has really melted away."

"Baekhyun makes me a better person." Chanyeol said firmly.

"I see that. I'm clearly aware of your feelings for Baekhyun but I can't really say the same for Baekhyun. How can you trust him? How do you know you can trust him?"

Chanyeol's eyes flickered to Baekhyun's body. His bangs slightly covered his eyes and his skin was as milky and smooth and ever. Even the distance made Chanyeol's heart ache. He wanted to be next to Baekhyun, holding him in his arms, kissing him till his lips hurt.

"Baekhyun..he's shown more loyalty and compassion than anyone I've ever seen. He doesn't love me for my appearance or for my strength. He loves me because of who I am. Even though I've hurt him so many times, pushed him away, burned him, caused him so much pain, he's never left my side. He never made me feel alone or hated, and from that I know I can truly trust him and that he trusts me." Chanyeol's eyes never left Baekhyun. The tall flames went up to his waist and still burned lively.

Ms. Kim raised an eyebrow.

"Fine. I'll let you go to Baekhyun. On one condition."

Chanyeol's heart picked up. "What condition?"

The principal stuck her hand out. "Hand over your spell band."

Chanyeol stared at the woman before looking down at his wrist, just missing the warm tear that slipped down Baekhyun's eye.

-

Don't do it. Don't listen to her.

"Have you ever wondered why you met Baekhyun again?...Why after so many years, you two are bound together in such a romantic relationship, despite your rough family history? It's because you two were fated to fall in love. Quite a story..but I'm afraid you two are not going to have a fairy tale ending. As we all know, history must repeated itself."

We were fated to meet because I was meant to help you accept friendship and fear. I was meant to be your friend and make you smile. We met so that I could fall in love with you...

"W-What are you trying to say?"

"We both know what happened years ago..Your grandfather lost his powers to Baekhyun's grandfathers. He only believed he was doing good for your poor old man."

"Don't talk about my family that way."

"I'm just stating the facts. If you don't know, your powers have been harming everyone, Baekhyun included. However, I'm sure you already know that. Your burning powers and cold attitudes have really inflicted a lot of pain on your so called boyfriend."

"I love Baekhyun more than you can imagine." Chanyeol spoke. Baekhyun's heart felt like it was being stabbed with a sharp knife. But it was himself doing to stabbing. He was killing himself because there was no way out.

Don't love me. I'm not worthy of your love. I don't deserve someone like you.

"What-?!"

"Lack of control and passion. How did you think you'd ever pass the nova test?"

"Is this the test?"

"Unfortunately not. Once Baekhyun gets overheated, he'll eventually melt because, we all know, people like us don't die normally."

The flames are not real! Chanyeol, don't fall for this trap. If you do..I can't save you..

"Are you ing crazy?! Who you want is me, right? Leave Baekhyun alone."

Run away, Chanyeol. Please!

"How much do you love Baekhyun?"

Don't..

"More than I've ever loved anyone."

"How do you think he feels about you?"

Chanyeol didn't hesitate. "He thinks he loves me more but I know his feelings will never be as strong as mine for him. I've never cherished and wanted to protect someone as much as I do to Baekhyun."

You're wrong..I love you so much.So much I have to hurt you..Why must it be like this..?

Ms. Kim sighed. "What a shame. I thought you'd be a more strong minded person. Your cold image has really melted away."

"Baekhyun makes me a better person."

You make me do this, Chanyeol. Please, turn around and run!

"I see that. I'm clearly aware of your feelings for Baekhyun but I can't really say the same for Baekhyun. How can you trust him? How do you know you can trust him?"

There was a silence.

"Baekhyun..he's shown more loyalty and compassion than anyone I've ever seen. He doesn't love me for my appearance or for my strength. He loves me because of who I am. Even though I've hurt him so many times, pushed him away, burned him, caused him so much pain, he's never left my side. He never made me feel alone or hated, and from that I know I can truly trust him and that he trusts me."

No! Don't trust me Chanyeol! I'm a terrible person- Baekhyun could feel himself coming back to his senses but just as Ms. Kim commanded, he didn't open his eyes. Chanyeol was only a few feet from him but he had to lay motionless.

"Fine. I'll let you go to Baekhyun. On one condition."

Don't listen to her! Don't make me do this!

 "What condition?"

"Hand over your spell band."

.Baekhyun couldn't hold back his pain. His heart was crumbling into bits and a warm tear ran down his cheek. Knowing Chanyeol, he would lead himself to his own doom. Baekhyun's finger twitched.

He could hear Chanyeol fumbling with the clasp before something dropped onto the floor. The crackling sound of the fire ceased. There were no words spoken between Ms. Kim and Chanyeol before Baekhyun could hear the footsteps approaching him.

Please...don't come closer.

"Baekhyun..!" Chanyeol knelt down and brushed his hand through Baekhyun's hair.

Baekhyun kept his hands down but his eyes flickered open.

I'll never see your face again. Maybe I will, but it won't be the same. It won't be the face of Park Chanyeol who loved me to the ends of both our worlds.

"Baek, why are you crying?" Chanyeol's voice was gentle and he had a soft smile on his lips. Baekhyun didn't even notice the tears that welled up in his eyes and ran down his cheeks endlessly.

His lips were too dry to speak and he wanted nothing more but to listen to Chanyeol's voice. When he first heard him speak. When Chanyeol first yelled at him. When Chanyeol first sang to him. There was so much he wanted to go back to, but those were only things that he was able to experience in this lifetime.

Chanyeol's thumb wiped away the tears on his cheeks and Baekhyun laid in his embrace.

"I'm here..Don't cry." Chanyeol brushed his hair back.

I'm sorry Chanyeol.

I'm sorry for dragging you into my life.

I'm sorry for promising you that I could be with you forever when it eventually became a lie.

I'm sorry for not realizing my feelings for you sooner.

I'm sorry that I can't graduate with you, that we can never have anymore study sessions in the library.

I'm sorry I won't be getting you your daily meals anymore.

I'm sorry that I won't be able to kiss you to sleep and wake up with your arms.

I'm sorry I can't love you forever in this life.

Baekhyun's eyes drifted over to Ms. Kim who watched him closely, her stared clearly telling him to finish it off.

Baekhyun shut his eyes, feeling the last wave of tears pour over.

I'll never forget the day you told me you loved me.

I'll never forget how much you loved me in this life...and I'll still love you in my next.

I'm sorry I couldn't protect you..

Baekhyun silently cried as he brought his hand up to Chanyeol's face. His skin felt so real under his fingers.

Good bye, Chanyeol.. please don't forget..I love you..so much..

With all his energy, he drained away the last bits of Chanyeol's nova. He didn't dare to open his eyes. There was no way he could stand to watch Chanyeol slip away so easily.

"Baekhyun, I-" Chanyeol voice was strained and cut off. The warm hand that was on his cheek slipped down and the presence of another person beside him faded away just like that. That was when the first cry slipped out of Baekhyun's mouth and his breathing was unstable. His chest clenched in excruciating pain and his cried his heart out. Ms. Kim watched, knowing the hardest part was over. Baekhyun wailed, laying at the roots of the tree.

Chanyeol was gone.

 


 

:'(

[ 1 chapter left ]

Leave a comment! And yes..Chanyeol is really gone.