Chapter 20

Protector

"So.."

Baekhyun felt the tension between him and giant thicken as they returned back to the dorms. When they first left the main building, Baekhyun was speechless. What was he supposed to say? How was he supposed to react? What did this make him?

He didn't feel any stronger. He didn't feel different. He felt like the same old Baekhyun. Ms. Kim put a probation spell on him to prevent him from using his nova. One that both Chanyeol and Jongdae had.

"What?" Baekhyun bites back a bit more harshly than he had wanted to.

Chanyeol rubs the back of his neck as they walk side by side.

"Don't have to be so mean.."

Baekhyun glared at him. "Mean? Oh, me? The mean one? Wow, ok."

The shorter male stomped off but Chanyeol immediately ran up to him. "No- I mean, you're not mean. It's just- I-I'm sorry."

Baekhyun could tell Chanyeol was frustrated.

"I know I've been a jerk these past few days-"

"An is a better word for it." Baekhyun huffed and Chanyeol frowned.

"Okay, so I was an . A terrible, big fat ." Baekhyun tried to hold in a laugh. "But when I'm trying to say is that, I misjudged you. I blamed you for something you weren't really involved in. My family history is really messy."

Baekhyun turned around to face Chanyeol. "What about us?"

"Us?"

"Yeah, when we were younger. Since I can't remember anything and you can, care to explain?"

Chanyeol sighed and nodded. "Those times were probably the best of my childhood. I met you at school but you moved to another one closer to your house. I can't really remember everything but our parents let us have play-dates over the weekends and the summer. I knew you for maybe...a bit more than a year?"

"And why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, you're older now and seeing that you didn't remember me, I didn't think there was a need to bring the past up."

Baekhyun wasn't satisfied with that as an answer. "Did we get along?"

Chanyeol thought before nodding his head. "Most of the time. You were quiet a bully back then."

"Yah!"

The giant laughed and Baekhyn felt his heart ease like a soaked sponge. When was the last time he had heard Chanyeol laugh like that? Recently, he'd been so annoyed and rude that it seemed as if they were never even friends.

"I'm kidding. But I didn't see you afterwards so I guess that was it."

"And somehow I got enrolled in this school." Baekhyun says, looking up at Chanyeol.

"Basically."

Baekhyun nodded, understanding more of the situation.

"Just one more question."

Chanyeol tilted his head. "What?"

"Did you miss me?"

-

The next day at breakfast, everything seemed to return to normal.

"Wait, so you guys..you two knew each other before!?" Jongdae exclaims, looking at Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

Baekhyun nodded as Chanyeol just ate his food quietly.

"That's crazy. Baekhyun, what was Chanyeol like as a child?"

"I don't remember." Baekhyun replies casually and Jongdae groans.

"I bet he was a bully, just like he is now."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes but a smile tugged as his lips. He looked at Baekhyun, who immediately looked away when he was caught staring.

"What?" the taller male mouthed.

Baekhyun shook his head before noticing that Kyungsoo and Jongin were awfully quiet.

"Kyungie, eat this." Jongin says, holding a spoonful of soup. Jongdae looked at the two weirdly.

Kyungsoo wanted to wipe the smirk off Jongin's face. After his confession Jongin had his way with him for almost everything. He even slept over in Jongin's room, kicking Sehun out to Luhan and Minseok's room.

Kyungsoo hesitated before drinking the soup from Jongin's spoon.

"Oh. My. Thundery Goodness." Jongdae says, dropping his chopsticks at the sight before him. "D-Did you just- you-!"

Kyungsoo's ears reddened with embarrassment and Jongin smiled proudly.

"I've finally caught him."

Kyungsoo shuts his eyes and nudges Jongin on the shoulder. He didn't want to hear anything.

"Am I hearing this?! Luhan, Minseok hyung! Why don't you guys have any reaction to this!?" Jongdae exclaimed.

"We already knew..since last night. They slept together so Sehunnie had to crash at ours." Luhan explains, seeming to like the fact that Sehun was in their room.

"You two slept together?!" He says loudly and Kyungsoo kicks him under the table.

"Could you be any louder?!"

Jongin was hardly embarrassed at all. "All it took was to sit at the edge of a cliff."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but Baekhyun smiled. "Congrats, hyung!"

Kyungsoo waved Baekhyun away, knowing that Jongdae would never let him live this down.

Joonmyun smiled half-hearted at his friend. "Jongin, your year of waiting actually paid off."

The sophomore nodded, giving Kyungsoo a surprise peck on the cheek. Minseok awed at that.

"Y-Yah!" Kyungsoo holds his cheek, a pink slowly spreading on his skin.

"You two are so cute."

Kyungsoo scoffs. "Cute my . This little is making me do the most embarrassing things now that we're boyfriends."

The word 'boyfriend' came out so naturally Kyungsoo held back a cringe.

"Boyfriends," Jongin entwined their hands together. "I like the sound of that."

"Let go of my hand, Jongin. I need to eat!"

-

Chanyeol sat at the edge of Baekhyun’s bed. They were alone, which Baekhyun felt slightly awkward having Chanyeol watching him as he played a round of 2048.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Baekhyun says, keeping his distance from Chanyeol. Just a day ago, Chanyeol had been the rudest prune to him. Now, he was trying to up to Baekhyun like a lost puppy.

“Are you still mad at me?”
Baekhyun huffed. “No but I’m not happy with you either.”


"What can I do to make it up to you?" Chanyeol asks, noticing that Baekhyun had almost lost the game.

"Leave me alone?" Baekhyun suggests.

Chanyeol frowns. "I don't think that's going to do our friendship any good."

Baekhyun sighed. "Then what do you think you should do?"

The giant pursed his lips in thought. "Hold on, I'll be right back."

Chanyeol slipped off the bed and opened the door, running into his own room across the hall.

Baekhyun smiled at his effort but when Chanyeol was coming back with a huge black case, Baekhyun tried to look uninterested and immersed in his game.

"Baek," Chanyeol calls his nickname for the first time in a long time. It made Baekhyun's heart flutter just hearing it. "I want you to listen to a song I wrote."

Baekhyun lifted his head. "You write songs?"

Chanyeol smiled sheepishly. "Sometimes, when I feel inspired."

"What inspires you?"

Baekhyun watched Chanyeol take the guitar out of its case and tune it. Just hearing him strum the instrument made him excited, He loved music and even considered auditioning for an entertainment company but never had to confidence to go.

"Well, alot of things. Sometimes when I'm happy or sad, I'll feel like writing a bit. Sometimes when I see or feel something for the first time, I just write. It helps me to get my thoughts out."

Baekhyun nods, tossing his phone to the side.  "Play something."

Chanyeol places his hands on the chords and strums his guitar once. The giant clears his throat with a hesitant glance at Baekhyun sitting beside him.

"Oh, The sun is rising.
Holding a map that will find you,
On the sail following the coordinate.
No matter,
The silver compass will point you.
The sky that resembles you is beautiful.
You’re gorgeous today as well
It’s familiar yet strange

I’ll bend the parallel lines of you and me
Over and over, I don’t mind

I’m at the end of this voyage swept by big waves
You stop in my world when you sweep like a storm
You’re my only one
It shines more brilliantly when I discover you
I’ll be the lucky one

You and I here
Keep on coming
In the same time
At the moment that we become one
We’ll be the lucky ones.."

Baekhyun's mouth was slightly open when Chanyeol finished with a final strum and his lips immediately curled into a smile.

"That was really- that was amazing..!" Baekhyun praises and Chanyeol rubs the back of his neck with a shy smile.

"You think so? I'm still working on it.." Chanyeol says but Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol in a new light.

"What inspired you to write that song?" Baekhyun asks with curiosity. The melody was stil stuck in his head.

Chanyeol looked a Baekhyun, not saying a word.

"Hm?" Baekhyun his head to the side from the way Chanyeol stared at him.

"Nothing. "

-

Baekhyun laid on his bed that night, staring up at his ceiling.

"Hyung," Baekhyun stared, turning over to looking at Kyungsoo.

"Yeah?"

"I...I have a nova." Baekhyun says. He can hear Kyungsoo's blanket ruffle in the dark.

"How do you know?" Kyungsoo asks, slightly surprised. 

"My mother..she told me."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Baekhyun nodded. He had thought it over many times. Isn't it obvious that people would avoid him if they knew what he was capable of doing? He could steal their nova without even knowing it.

"How is everything with Jongin?" Baekhyun changes the topic and he already knew Kyungsoo was blushing at the sound of his boyfriend's name.

"I-It's going well." Kyungsoo mumbles but Baekhyun only smiled.

"He's really lucky to have you."

The older male shook his head. "I think it's the other way around. He's been waiting for a year, hoping that one day I would return his feelings..I don't think I would have the courage or patience to do that."

"What made you suddenly change your mind? What made you fall for him? " Baekhyun asks, using his elbow to prop his head up. Kyungsoo had his hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling.

"I think, rather than falling in love with him or changing my mind..I think I just accepted the fact that I had fallen for someone like him."

"What is 'someone like him'?"

Kyungsoo chuckled. "I don't know. He's annoying, clingy as , whiny, stubborn..but when we're alone, he's the sweetest person in the world, He treats me like I actually mean something to him, you know? He's always willing to wait for me, to sit with me, to hold my hand, let me sleep on his shoulder..It's nice having him around."

"What about ?"

Kyungsoo choked on his saliva and Baekhyun laughed at his reaction.

"W-W-What?"

"He's always talking about it. Are you going to...?"

"I'm sure he knows I'm just starting to get into this relationship. I know I can't make him wait forever but I just want him to be old enough to understand that relationships aren't just games you can win or lose then move on with." Kyungsoo explains. Baekhyun nods.

"That's good to hear."

"What about you?" Kyungsoo asks.

"What about me?"

"You and Chanyeol."

Baekhyun blinks. "We're friends..I guess."

"He had been giving you the cold shoulder all week." Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun sighs.

"There was a misunderstanding but now, I think we're okay."

"Do you like him?"

Baekhyun nods. "Of course, even though he's extremely arrogant and demanding, he's a good friend."

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No, I mean like like him. Romantically."

"W-Why would you ask that?" Baekhyun stutters.

"You are the only person who has been able to get this close to Chanyeol. Sure, we're all friends with him but he's never truly opened up to us before. You kind of do that to him. You open him up when he thinks he's only a black hole without a purpose."

"I don't think I like Chanyeol like that..and I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel that way towards me. It just helps that we're the same age in the same year. Chanyeol has a lot of fans." Baekhyun says, pulling his blanket closer to him.

"Yeah, he does."

They stopped talking for a few minutes, just enjoying the night's silence. Baekhyun put one hand on his chest, feeling his heart thumping quickly. The beating sound rang in his ears and his cheeks felt warm.

"Night, hyung."

Baekhyun snuggled into his pillow.

"Night Baek."

 


I'm sorry I made you guys wait so long for such a boring chapter >.<" Tests are finally over so I should have more time to update!

How have you been, you? I hope you're well! ^o^ I want to thank you for being so patient with my slow updates <3

Leave a comment! How do you feel about Jongin and Kyungsoo's relationship? Did anyone recognize that Chanyeol's song was 'Lucky One' before it got to the chorus? xD Does Baekhyun actually like like Chanyeol?

Have a nice gif of our Baekhyunnie with his LIP RING (PLEASE TELL ME IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DIED!) - feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think about Monster and Lucky One! (^ν^)