Chapter 4

Protector

"You have got to kidding me."

Baekhyun looks down at the ground but he could feel the other male's gaze burning lasers into his head.

They were back at the dorm, in which Kyungsoo had nearly dragged him through.

"As much as I'd like for this to be some sort of joke, I don't think it is.." Baekhyun says and Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath. They sat, on their beds, facing each other. If Baekyun had a choice, he'd be curled up in a ball under his blankets, or possibly 10 feet underground in a hole he's dug up himself. He had been caught on the first day, meaning his chances of staying alive at this school were pretty close to zero.

Baekhyun glanced over at his phone, still in Kyungsoo's hand. "Can I have my phone back?"

Kyungsoo looks down, not even realizing that he was holding it. "Oh, yeah."

He noticed 3 missed calls from Baekhyun's mother. Just as Baekhyun was about to dial back, Kyungsoo stopped him.

"Don't."'

Baekhyun looked up, confused.

"We're usually not allowed to contact people from the outside world, just within our school. If you do, they can often track the calls and hear the conversations."

Baekhyun blinked. "Then, before-"

"They haven't been as strict about it because school hasn't started yet but I guarantee you that any call starting tomorrow or the day after will be recorded. It's best if you don't call your mother."

Baekhyun frowned. He hadn't realized how cut off he'd be from his family, from his previous life. He sighs and puts the phone on his desk.

"You said your mother sent you here?" Kyungsoo asks and Baekhyun nods. Kyungsoo hadn't even bother to tell the others that they left dinner early.

The senior stared down at the younger male, eyeing him up and down.

"You must have a nova. There's no way you'd be here if you don't have one."

Baekhyun shook his head. "I'm telling you I don't. I'm 100% human. Completely normal.

Kyungsoo shuts his eyes in disbelief. "I thought ut was a bit weird, why you didn't tell anyone what your nova was...For you to survive here would be impossible.. Get up."

Baekhyun stands up without any question. Kyungsoo walks to the bathroom and holds a cup of water.

"Wha-"

Baekhyun's eyes were shut tight as the cold water soaked his hair, dripped down his face, and onto the collar of his shirt.

"What the hell, hyung?!" Baekhyun exclaims but Kyungsoo doesn't apologize. He hears Kyunsoo put the cup down on the table and Baekhyun struggles to open his eyes, wiping the liquid off his face.

"Stop, try to force the water off." Kyungsoo demands and Baekhyun is wondering if he's gone insane.

"What?"

"Maybe you have a water nova. Try." Kyungsoo tells him but Baekhyun shakes his head, staring at the senior with teary eyes. The cold water was definitely enough to get him back to reality. And in reality, he had no magical powers.

"I don-"

"Try." Kyungsoo repeats and Baekhyun huffs defeatedly.

"Fine, but it won't work."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and tried to imitate what Joonmyun had done earlier. He tried to focus on the cold water on his face, willing it to come off. His eyebrows narrowed in concentration and he bit his lower lip.

The next thing Baekhyun felt was a dry towel thrown at his face, landing in his arms.

"Okay, you can stop. You just looked constipated." Kyungsoo says, holding back a laugh. Baekhyun frowns, embarrassed.

"Yah- Hyung!" Baekhyun complains as Kyungsoo chuckles.

"Sorry!"

Baekhyun dries his face with the towel, dabbing it on his cheeks and his forehead. He tries to ignore the soggy fabric against the front of his chest.

Kyungsoo thinks to himself before his eyes widen. "What if you're a strength nova, like me?"

Baekhyun freezes in place as he watches Kyungsoo randomly, and way too easily, grab heavy objects, piling them in his arms.

"W-Wait a minute, wait a minute, Kyung-!!" Baekhyun's eyes nearly pop out of his eye sockets as Kyungsoo carries his dresser over.

"I CAN'T CARRY THAT, HYUNG!" Baekhyun exclaims loudly, scared for his own life. He would probably be crushed by the wooden furniture.

Kyungsoo paused, his large eyes looking at Baekhyun with confusion. "Oh, are you sure? This is pretty light."

Baekhyun drops the laptop, 4 one-inch textbooks, and the 10 pound dumbbell onto Kyungsoo's bed with a huff.

"I can assure you, 109348%. I do not have super strength."

Kyungsoo puts the dresser back in place and Baekhyun sighs in relief. There wasn't even a bead of sweat on the older male.

"Just please, never do that again." Baekhyun says, flopping onto his bed. His arms were already sore and his hair was still wet.

'Do what?" Kyungsoo asks.

"Approach me with such a huge wooden block, which is packed with clothing! I swear my heart was going to jump out of my chest." Baekhyun tells him and Kyungsoo laughs apologetically.

"I'll take note of that."

There was a moment of silence before Kyungsoo suddenly pulled Baekhyun off the bed.

"What now?" He asks in surprise. Kyungsoo slipped his hand into Baekhyun's back pocket and Baekhyun nearly fell over.

"Yah! Hyung, where are you touching-!"

Kyungsoo pushed him towards the door and opened it. Baekhyun stood no chance in resisting against Kyungsoo's power. They were literally the same height, with Baekhyun possibly a few centimeters taller, but he was being pushed like a pebble across a table.

With one swift motion, Baekhyun was pushed out of their room and the door slammed in his face.

"Hyung! What's going on?!" Baekhyun yelled, banging on the door.

"Don't be so loud, you'll wake other sleeping students." Kyungsoo's voice was quieter from the other side.

Baekhyun groans. "This isn't funny, hyung. Let me in."

"No way. Maybe you have a teleportation nova."

Baekhyun was about to go crazy. "Never in my 18 years of existence have I teleported anywhere."

Still, Kyungsoo refused. "Just try."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I have a room key, Kyungsoo. I'm just going t-"

Baekhyun's eyes widened as he reached into his back pocket. He couldn't feel the familiar plastic card before he groaned.

That was why Kyungsoo reached in there before..! How did he even know I put it there?!

"Aish! Hyung!" Baekhyun whined and banged on the door once more.

"Only one way in. Night Baekhyun." Kyungsoo says without another word.

Baekhyun puts his head to the door in disbelief.

And I thought Kyungsoo was the most normal amongst his friends..

The male sighed and slid down to the ground, his back against the wooden door. He had no idea what time it was but dinner should be ending, if it hadn't already.

His first day, definitely was not ending well.

-

Chanyeol pulled his jacket closer to himself as he made his way down the hallway.

Running a hand through his dark hair, Chanyeol took a deep breath before stopping in his tracks.

Isn't that..?

Sitting on the floor outside one of the dorm rooms was Baekhyun.sleeping in an uncomfortable position, his head bent over to rest on his shoulder. Chanyeol scoffed and shook his head, watching the other male's head bob to the other side.

"What did you do to Kyungsoo to get yourself kicked out.." Chanyeol mumbles out of pity. The hallway was empty and there was no one else around.

Chanyeol spared the boy one more glance before sliding his dorm card over the lock and entering his room.

-

Baekhyun frowned as a shock of pain ran down his neck, over to his shoulder, and down his back. Somewhere, the blood circulation had to have been cut off from the rest of his body.

"Aish...stupid hyung.." Baekhyun rolled his shoulders back and stretched his arms over his head before looking down, noticing a blanket that hadn't been there when he had eventually fallen asleep.

"Did Kyungsoo put this here?" Baekhyun wonders, lifting the fabric off his lap.

Just then, the door opposite to his opened and the tall male looked down at Baekhyun with a cold stare. The eye contact lasted for about 5 seconds, the scariest 5 seconds of Baekhyun's life, before the other walked down the hall with his hands in his pocket. No greeting, not even a smile.

"Well, good morning to you too.." Baekhyun mumbles sarcastically, making a face at Chanyeol once his back was faced towards him.

A second later, the door that he had been leaning on opened up and he fell backwards onto the hard surface of their room.

"Ah-!" Baekhyun yelps, hitting his head on the ground before sitting up and turning around to face Kyungsoo.

"If it's not water, teleportation, or strength..then what exactly do you have?" Kyungsoo asks, almost as if he was deep in thought.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing."

"Well, clearly."

"Yah! You left me outside all night!"

Kyungsoo chuckles and helps Baekhyun up. "Sorry, Baek."

Baekhyun pauses at the nickname, remembering his mother always calling him that.

"It's fine. You gave me a blanket at least.." Baekhyun holds the fabric up but Kyungsoo only furrowed his eyebrows.

"I didn't leave that there. I went to sleep right after I locked you out." Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun eyes the blanket, ignoring how heartless the senior had explain last night's events.

"You didn't?"

Kyungsoo shakes his head.

"Then who did?"

Kyungsoo shrugs and closes the door behind Baekhyun, making his way to the bathroom.

"By the way, Chanyeol...he lives across from us?"

Kyungsoo turns around and nods. "Yeah. He's rooming with Jongdae. Two completely opposite people. I don't even know how Chanyeol stays sane with that kind of troll 24/7."

Could it have been Jongdae?

Baekhyun puts the blanket on the chair, shrugging off the thought and checks his phone on his desk. There were no more calls from his mother but instead there was a text from an unknown number.

1 New Message: Hey, this is Yixing. I got your number from Principle Kim.

Baekhyun saves his number and replies back. Yixing had sent this to him early this morning. It was now 6:42. Breakfast was at 7:30.

To: Yixing

Hi. Oh cool.

He didn't know what to say back to the senior but just hoped he didn't sound too unenthusiastic.

Baekhyun heard the shower turn on a he spread himself out on his bed. The bed that he could have been sleeping on. Baekhyun closed his eyes, trying to ignore the bright light from the window between his and Kyungsoo's bed.

What exactly is my nova? If I even have one.

-

After washing up and getting dressed, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun made their way to the cafeteria. All he's done here so far was eat, Baekhyun thinks. Baekhyun zips up his sweater. Mornings and nights were chilly but during the afternoon, the temperature slightly increased. Summer had just ended and autumn was slowly kicking in.

They enter the building, already quite crowded with students going back and forth from the lunch line. It was more of a buffet style dining, giving the students a variety of options ranging from western breakfast foods to a typical Korean meal. They make their way to the second floor after getting a tray of food and find the gang seated in the middle table with the most seats.

"Morning!" Luhan says, all smiley and cheery. Baekhyun smiled back when he realized his hands were full and couldn't wave back. Luckily there was a seat next to the Chinese male and he immediately places his tray down. This time, Chanyeol sat across from Baekhyun but the shorter male was determined to ignore him. If he was going to ignore him, then Baekhyun could do the same.

Jongdae immediately speaks up, even with pieces of pancake in his mouth.

"Baekhyun-ah! You're joining the scavenger hunt, right?"

Baekhyun looks up with confusion as he poked a sausage with his fork. "What?"

"The school is holding the first student scavenger hunt of the year today." Kyungsoo explains and Baekhyun considers it. There was nothing else to do on the campus anyway.

"Sure. Why not." Baekhyun says and Kyungsoo smiles.

"Great! It's really fun, I promise."

"But isn't it a bit random? Considering school starts tomorrow.." Baekhyung wonders.

"We always have these kinds of events. Even in the middle of school weeks. Just so that the students don't get bored."

Baekhyun raises his eyebrow. "What's so fun about a scavenger hunt?"

 "It's not just any scavenger hunt." Minseok says.

Baekhyun looks at him as Minseok continues.

"You can use your novas, if you don't have a prohibition, to find the objects."

Baekhyun nearly chokes on his milk and Kyungsoo pats his back. Luhan laughs.

"Don't worry, you're not going to die..Unless you're not careful."

Baekhyun coughs, hitting his chest with his hand and looks to Kyungsoo for help.

"It's okay, Baekhyun and I will be a team-" The senior announces but before he can get another word out, someone was pushing Baekhyun away from Kyungsoo.

"No way in hell is that happening!"

Everyone's attention turned to Jongin, who had an angry pout on his face. Jongdae let out a laugh and Kyungsoo groaned in annoyance.

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo exclaims, nearly having a heart attack because of him. He still could not get used to him popping up whenever and wherever he liked.

"We always pair up for scavenger hunts!" He complains but Kyungsoo rolls his eyes.

"You mean you follow me around on every scavenger hunt." Kyungsoo corrects but Jongin only wraps his arms around Kyungsoo, placing his head beside the shorter male's.

Jongdae awes and Kyungsoo immediately glares at him before attempting to remove Jongin's arms from himself.

"Go away, Jongin."

The younger male shakes his head. "Only if you team up with me."

Jongdae winks at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun tries to hold in a laugh. He couldn't help but find the two so adorable with their complex relationship.

"Well," Kyungsoo speaks, looking directly at Jongdae in front of him. "at least I can use my nova. Unlike someone on prohibition."

Jongdae's smirk falters and he frowns. "Hey! Well at le-"

Joonmyun decides to break up the argument and everyone looks at him.

"Kyungsoo with Jongin. Jongdae with Xiumin. Chanyeol with Baekhyun, and I'll be with Luhan." He says in a tone that says, 'this is what it is'.

Baekhyun freezes, replaying Joonmyun's words over in his head.

C-Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

...I'm Baekhyun.

His eyes widen with fear but before he can make a complaint, Chanyeol beat him to it.

"I don't want to go with Baekhyun. I'll do it on my own."

Baekhyun didn't know whether to feel relieved or offended that Chanyeol didn't want to work with him. Jongin wasn't complaining one bit, completely satisfied with the confirmation of Kyungso being his partner.

"I-I don't want Chanyeol either." Baekhyun manages to stutter out and Joonmyun nods.

"Okay, then Baekhyun with Luhan and Chanyeol will be on his own."

Jongdae drinks a sip of orange juice. "But what about you?"

Joonmyun rubs the back of his neck with a sheepish smile, "O-Oh, I can just find someone else."

Xiumin smirked and coughed out his comment. "*cough unicorn*cough."

Unicorn..?

 


Sorry about any grammar or spelling mistakes! I wanted to have this updated for you guys~

Leave a comment! What do you think will happen during the scavenger hunt? Who is 'unicorn'? ;D
 If you squint, you'll see the Baekyeol in this chapter >.<

Thanks for reading!! <3