Chapter 21

Protector

There was a continuous knocking on the door that awoke Baekhyun from his sleep.

"Mhmmff.." Baekhyun groaned, hugging his blankets tighter around his body.

"Baekhyun!" Someone's voice called out too enthusiastically for Baekhyun's liking. Due to tests, he had gotten little sleep studying during his free time. It was finally Saturday and all the junior wanted was to sleep in.

"Baekhyun-ah!" The familiar voice made Baekhyun's eye twitch.

C-Chanyeol...?

Baekhyun's eyes slowly blinked open and the light from the window hit his eyes in an instant. He groaned in annoyance and ruffled his hair. He probably looked like a lion. There were more knocks on the door and Baekhyun rubbed his face with his hands before walking over and opening the door. He was immediately greeting with a tall, smiling Park Chanyeol.

"Let's get breakfast Baek."

-

"I don't get why you had to personally wake up me. I would have woken up...eventually." Baekhyun grumbles as they make their way around the cafeteria.

"Yeah right, as if you of all people would have wok

en up on time on a Saturday morning. Kyungsoo complains about his tactics to get you off your bed all the time." Chanyeol says with a playful smile. Baekhyun frowns.

"I'm perfectly capable of getting up in the morning! Just watch tomorrow, I'll be here before you."

Chanyeol smirked. "Yeah, sure."

After Baekhyun finished getting Chanyeol and himself food, they walked upstairs to sit at their usual table. As unusual as the sight was, Baekhyun smiled when he noticed Jongin and Kyungsoo eating together. Jongdae still seemed to be in shock.

"You're up, Baekhyun." Kyungsoo says looking at his roommate and blindly wiping some soup off Jongin's mouth.

"Kyungie, you're wiping my nose!" Jongin whines, not liking that he had lost his boyfriend's attention.

Kyungsoo chuckled, turning back to the male beside him. "Okay, okay. There, all clean."

Luhan huffed. "Soo, why don't you sleep over at Jongin's more often. Minseok hyung and I will be happy to take Sehun into our humble abode."

Minseok groaned and Luhan glanced over at the sophomore sitting two tables away with his own friends.

"We did so many things that day.." Luhan says dreamily with a sad sigh and Minseok rolled his eyes.

"You stared at him for 15 minutes after he came out of the shower and offered to put lotion on his chest. I don't think Sehun would want to come back-"

"Yah!" Luhan exclaimed, clearly offended. "Wanting to moisturize a child's body is clearly acceptable. I was doing it for his own sake! I mean, who wants crackly dry skin?"

Jongdae laughed and Minseok simply shrugged. There was no chance to win in this argument.

Baekhyun was laughing along with them when he felt something kick his leg. He raised an eyebrow at Chanyeol who continued eating as if nothing happened.

"What?" Baekhyun mouthed.

Chanyeol looked at him as if he hadn't done anything and continued eating.

Baekhyun slightly shook his head in confusion before going on his phone.

There was another kick to his foot and Baekhyun frowned.

"What?" He asked, watching Chanyeol fail to hide a smile. The ends of his lips curled into a smile but he tried to keep his head low. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes.

Fine, two can play this game.

Baekhyun nudged at Chanyeol's foot, pushing it back until Baekhyun's legs were straight.

Chanyeol looked at him funny but pushed back none the less.

Baekhyun's pushed a little too far and hit the table leg, causing him to let out a yelp of pain.

"Ow!" Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol who, at first seemed apologetic, but only held in his laugh.

Why is Chanyeol doing this?

"What are you two doing?" Jongdae asks, noticing how quiet the two were together.

"H-Huh? Oh, I-"

"Baekhyun-ah!" Everyone looked over at the person who called Baekhyun's name.

"Oh! Yixing hyung.." Baekhyun smiled as the senior approached them. Joonmyun tensed and tried to look away from the man standing less than 4 feet away.

"Baekhyun, are you doing anything later today?" Yixing asks brightly and Baekhyun blinks.

"Uh..I don't think so. I was just going to stay in the dorms..Why?"

Chanyeol eyed how Baekhyun responded.

"Nothing much..The weather is really nice out today. I was wondering if you wanted to take a walk with me on the bridge by the lake."

Baekhyun smiled and nodded eagerly. "Yeah, sure. That'd be nice.'

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun. Did..Yixing just ask Baekhyun out..on a date?

"Cool! I'll meet you at your dorm in-"

"Can I come with?" Chanyeol bursted, making Joonmyun look at him surprised. "I really like walks in the woods and the weather is indeed nice out. I mean, when will it ever be this warm again. Winter will be coming before we know it so I guess I'll join you guys."

Yixing frowned.  "I wanted to go with Baek-"

"I'll come too!" Joonmyun exclaims. "The more the merrier right? Anyone else want to come along? No, okay, then I guess it's just us four."

By now, Baekhyun was more than confused by the two new additions to his and Yixing's bridge walk. Yixing's smile faltered but just shrugged in the end.

"Okay."

-

"-it was great! But I kind miss my friends from back home." Baekhyun says as he walks beside Yixing. Their shoulders would occasionally bump but neither of them said anything about that.

"You've made a lot of friends here, already. I can tell you're pretty close to Chanyeol and Kyungsoo."

Baekhyun laughs. "Kyungsoo hyung is awesome. He's cool. Chanyeol...he's a different story."

Yixing tilts his head. "What do you mean a different story?"

"Well....."

"Stop pushing me!" Chanyeol half whispers as they follow behind the pair walking ahead.

"You're the one blocking my view! I can't see Yixing!" Joonmyeon complains, nudging Chanyeol over.

The giant huffs in annoyance. "You're getting in my way! I can't hear what Baekhyun is saying over your heavy breathing and fangirling!"

Joonmyeon scoffed. "I am not fangirling. I'm just admiring my classmate from a far- Yah! Baekhyun is sticking too close to him!"

Chanyeol rolls his eyes as they continue to advance. "As if! I know my own step-brother! He's the one sticking too close to my Baekhyun!"

"Yeah yeah that's becaus- wait..your Baekhyun?!"

Chanyeol blinks and clears his throat. "I-I meant Baekhyun. Just Baekhyun. A-Anyway, they're getting further away so let's keep walking."

Before Joonmyun could get another word out, Chanyeol was already taking long strides ahead.

"Oh...I see." Yixing nods after listening to Baekhyun's explanation.

"Yeah..it's kind of like that."

Yixing smiles and ruffles Baekhyun's hair softly.

"You're a good kid, Baek. You shouldn't rely on someone like Chanyeol. He can't protect you"

"Why do you say that? Chanyeol has a strong nova."

Yixing beckoned for Baekhyun to lean closer and Baekhyun does until his ear is right next to Yixing's lips.

"Chanyeol....-"

"What did he say to him!?!" Both Joonmyeon and Chanyeol exclaim at the same time.

"Your stupid Yixing is tried to feed Baekhyun lies."  Chanyeol grumbles, leaning on top of Joonmyeon's body behind a bush.

"Yah! Baekhyun is using this as his opportunity to get closer to my Yixing! Control your boy."

Chanyeol pushed Joonmyun's shoulder. "H-He's not my boy. I'm just...just making sure my stupid brother doesn't do something stupid."

Baekhyun's ears turned red and his eyes widened as Yixing muttered into his ear.

"C-Chanyeol?!" He exclaims and Yixing nods.

"Yep."

"O-Oh..I didn't know he was like that." Baekhyun says. Yixing shrugs.

"Everyone is different. We shouldn't judge him."

Baekhyun nodded slowly as they continued walking. Yixing turned around to where Joonmyeon and Chanyeol stood, taking them both by surprise before smirking turning to walk with Baekhyun.

"That son of a-"

"He smiled at me! Oh my god!" Joonmyeon said with happiness in his voice and Chanyeol slapped his forehead.

"That was a smirk, not a smile! And that was directed to me! He told Baekhyun some didn't he?!"

Joonmyeon groaned. "Yixing isn't the bad guy here."

"Well Baek is innocent so that makes Yixing the criminal." Chanyeol huffs, watching Baekhyun smile up at Yixing.

-

"I want to test something." Yixing says, catching Baekhyun's attention.

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun asked. They came to a stop in the middle of the bridge.

"Just..don't move."

Yixing moves closer to Baekhyun's shorter frame and puts his arms on Baekhyun's shoulders.

"O-okay." Baekhyun tries to not move as Yixing leans closer.

"What the hell is that bastard doing?!" Chanyeol says, watching the two stop at the middle of the bridge.

"Should we move any closer?"

"Shh! They-oh my god what does he think he's doing?!" Chanyeol scrambles out from their hiding place.

"Yah! Yah Chan-"

Yixing's hand rested on Baekhyun's shoulders and Chanyeol froze at the end of the bridge.

*flashback*

"Tell me if you're feeling any better."

Yixing closed his eyes and put his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder, concentrating his energy to take away the pain. It wasn't his first time doing this and it definitely wouldn't be his last. But for some reason, he wanted to make sure Baekhyun was safe. His hand slowly ran down Baekhyun's arm, pushing the fabric of his shirt down. More of his skin was slowly being exposed but Baekhyun didn't think anything of it.

"It feels slightly better. It doesn't ache as much." Baekhyun says and Yixing opens his eyes. His face was only inches away from Baekhyun's.

"That's.." Yixing's gaze drifted down to his pink lips. "a relief."

"I-"

"Yixing, I have something to-"

Both Yixing and Baekhyun looked toward the door at the sound of the familiar voice.

"Oh Chanyeol," Yixing leaned back from Baekhyun, who scrambled to button his shirt and put his blazer back on. "What's up?"

The way Chanyeol stared at the both of them from the doorway made Baekhyun feel as if he had done something wrong. Baekhyun could see Joonmyun from behind Chanyeol but he didn't step far enough into the room.

"Nevermind. I guess I'll leave you two to do..whatever you guys were doing before."

*end of flashback*

Baekhyun stared up at Yixing, waiting for something to happen but instead, his arm was grabbed and he was pulled from Yixing's grasp.

"Yah! What do you think you two are doing?!" Chanyeol exclaimed, glaring at Yixing who put his hands in his pocket with an amused expression.

"What do you mean?"

"C-Chanyeol!" Baekhyun frowns as he pulls his arm from the giant's hand.

"You know exactly what I mean. What bull did you tell Baekhyun?"

Yixing shrugged and looked at Baekhyun with a smile. "I didn't say anything untrue."

"You-!" Chanyeol cut himself off and took a deep breath. "Never mind. Let's go Baekhyun."

Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun with him, leaving Yixing by himself.

"See you later, Baek!" Yixing called out and Baekhyun nodded apologetically. Joonmeyon jogged over to the Chinese senior, hesitant to speak.

"S-So..uh..do you want to take a walk?"

Yixing looked at him and continued walking. Joonmeyon took this was a 'yes' and walkied silently beside him.

-

"What the hell was that Chanyeol?!" Baekhyun exclaimed as Chanyeol dragged him back to the dorms.

"I should be asking you! You guys were almost about to lock lips on that bridge!"

Baekhyun scoffed as if it was the most absurd thing he had ever heard. "Lock lips? Me and Yixing kiss?! You're ridiculous!"

"What ridiculous is that you even accepted that date!" Chanyeol huffs, unknowingly pulling Baekhyun into his dorm room. Luckily, Jongdae wasn't anywhere around.

"Date?! What are you talking about?!" Baekhyun questions. Chanyeol finally stops walking and it comes across his mind that he's holding Baekhyun's wrist. Within the blink of an eye, he dropped Baekhyun's hand down and sat on his bed.

"I don't want Yixing to be around you. He's up to no good."

Baekhyun crossed his arms over his chest. "Are you my father? I can interact with whoever  want. Yixng hyung is a good person. It's you who's weak."

Chanyeol's eyes flickered up at Baekhyun as if he had just been insulted.

"What?"

"You heard me. You're weak."

"Baekhyun what are you saying?" Chanyeol felt hurt and offended by the shorter male's accusations.

"Yixing told me."

Chanyeol's eyes darkened. "What did he say?"

Baekhyun's ears turned red. "No! I can't say it."

Chanyeol stood up, towering over Baekhyun's figure.  "Baekhyun. Say it. Tell me what my stupid step-brother told you."

Baekhyun shut his lips tightly and shook his head, mumbling, "Nuh uh!"

Before Baekhyun could even say anything or move away, Chanyeol reached over and pulled on the latter's arm. Baekhyun lost his balance and stumbled over the edge of the bed matress.

"Ahh-!"

Did I die?

...

Why..why do my lips feel so warm..?

Baekhyun opened his eyes wide and froze.

No..there's no way.

The heat on his lips increased each second until it started to hurt. Baekhyun immediately pulled away and looked down at Chanyeol who was passed out under him. 

"Did I just kiss Chanyeol?!"


Hello! It's been a while hasn't it?

I apologize for taking so long to update but I've been really busy and also procrastinating >.<" Sorry about that!

Leave a comment! What do you think Yixing is up to? What was he trying to test? Does he still have 'feelings' for Baekhyun? What does Chanyeol feel towards Baekhyun? Reaction towards Baekhyun and Chanyeol's kiss? xD

Anyone go to KCON  NYC?? :D

Thank you for being so so so patient! Summer is here so expect more updates soon!~~ <3