Chapter 39

Protector

"He should be fine." Yixing reassured Luhan who had refused to leave Sehun's side since the moment he carried to tall sophomore all the way from the dorms to the nurse's office. His heart was restless and his thoughts ran 100 miles per hour.

Luhan stared at Sehun's resting face. I hope so..What was he going to say to me? It couldn't have been a confession. Stop thinking stupid things..He was probably gonna tell me he likes Chanyeol again.

"Xing, what caused him to faint?" Luhan asked with a frown.

"I would guess over exhaustion. We'll have to ask him when he wakes up-"

"And when will that be?" Luhan immediately asks.

Yixing sighs, putting a hand on Luhan's shoulder. "Don't worry too much, Lu. Sehun's a strong boy. I'll be sure to let you know the second he's awake. You should go rest and prepare for your classes tomorrow."

Luhan felt miserable thinking that Sehun would have to sleep overnight at the nuse's office. It wasn't the warmest weather at night and everyone knew the dorms were the best place for a good night's rest.

"I can't help..but feel my heart clenching when I think of what could have made him so stressed." Luhan gently reached over to hold Sehun's hand resting at his side.

"Again, don't worry too much about Sehun. I sent signals to Jongdae so he should be over to you back soon.

Yixing watched as Jongdae put his arm around Luhan's smaller frame. Even when they were out of the building, Yixing could still hear Jongdae's loud voice trying to cheer Luhan up.

"What happened?" The senior looked up to see Kris enter the room.

"Sehun collapsed." He said in a bit more serious tone.

"Is he ill?" Kris asked, walking over to the bed that Sehun was lying on. Yixing shook his head.

"Luhan said that Sehun came over to his room to tell him something but fell down before he finished what he wanted to say. I checked his stats and he seems fine..but something is off." Yixing explained.

"Hm?"

The senior glanced down at Sehun. "I told Luhan he'd be okay but...I'm not sure."

Kris' eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean by that? What are you not sure of?"

"Sehun's nova energy was really low when Luhan brought him in and even now, it's stil pretty low."

Kris blinked. "Nova energy...isn't that what fuels our powers?"

Yixing nodded. "If its low, that means that the person has used a great amout of it to perform their nova but Sehun is in the second highest category so he should never have less than 3/4 of his nova energy."

"So he broke the rules?"

"I don't think so." Yixing's eyes widened. "Joonmyeon mentioned that there was an incident in the cafeteria where a gust of wind broke the windows."

Kris leaned against the wall. "Ms. Kim told me that too."

"Does she think that Sehun did that?" Yixing asked.

"Not sure..Do you?"

Yixing shook his head. "I know this may see crazy but Sehun is one of the most harmless kids in this school. Rumors say that he's never used his nova before and I, myself- or even Luhan- have never seen him use it."

"But wouldn't that make more sense that his powers could have gotten out of control when he did use it for the first time?"

Yixing crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm not disagreeing that his powers could have been uncontrolled but it wasn't Sehun's doing."

Kris narrowed his eyes. "..Then..?"

"I went to check the perimeters of the forest with Joonmyeon the other day," Kris's face relaxed slightly at the sound of his ex-boyfriend's name. "and we saw something really interesting."

"Why were you two together? And in the forest of all places?" Kris questioned.

Yixing didn't feel the need to keep it a secret. "I wanted to take him to the place where..Kim Junha, his brother, disappeared from our world."

"You went to the border?"

Yixing nodded. "We found snow." His voice slightly faltered.

Kris's eyes widened and he froze. "You two w-what?"

"Snow, there was snow. I don't know where or how it came here but Kris, it was the real thing. Joonmyeon tried to control the water from inside to melt but nothing worked. And if I saw correctly, there's a tear in the force field." Yixing explained.

"Holy ..." Kris shook his head, pacing back and forth. "That's not possible."

"I saw it. It was there, Kris.."

"Why are you telling me this now? We have to report this to the principa-"

"No!" Yixing exclaimed. "We can't! At least not yet..What if-"

"Yixing, Ms. Kim is planning on eliminating students based on the results of the nova test."

"What..?" Yixing paused.

"I don't know how or what she meant by that but she believes that there's a danger in our school. She wants to take their novas away." Kris ran a hand through his hair.

"She's planning on using Baekhyun?!" Yixing felt anger bubble inside him.

"Baekhyun? What's this got to do with him?" Kris asked.

"Kris, you do know what Baekhyun's nova is right?"

Kris blinked. "I've been trying to find out but either no one knows or can tell me."

Yixing took a deep breath. "I'm almost 300% that "threat" that Ms. Kim is talking about is Baekhyun. He has a theft nova. Which means that she's going to use him take away other student's novas.."

"Theft? Baekhyun!?"

Yixing nodded. "I was pretty shocked too. But the thing is, Baekhyun doesn't know how to control his powers. He's only done it once, by complete accident-"

"On Song Min Ah." Kris finished. "She's the girl was who expelled."

"Baekhyun took away her nova but Ms. Kim wasn't sure what to do with the situation so she kicked her out. Her case was easier to cover up than Junha's so she used the excuse that she used her nova on another student  to expel her."

"Her friends were pretty angry about it.." Kris commented. "Wait..then what does this have to do with Sehun?"

Yixing looked up at Kris and the moment their eyes met, Kris knew.

"Oh....."

-

"Don't sulk, Luhan!" Xiumin says, noticing that his roommate's food remained untouched.

"I'm not." The Chinese male replied lamely.

"Not my , you're sighing every 3 seconds and you haven't even eaten your favorite noodles." Jongdae comments.

"I'm fine."

"Is this because of Sehun?" Jongdae asks and Luhan's shoulders drop.

"I mean, it's been 2 days! Yixing says he's just still recovering but he hasn't woken up since! This isn't normal.." Luhan huffs, feeling more stressed than the day Sehun collapsed.

"What isn't normal is Jongin's nova.." Kyungsoo mumbles, changing to topic to his boyfriend. "His nova is on and off now. And with the nova test coming so soon, I don't know how he can pass."

Jongin had gone to visit Sehun, skipping breafast for the first time in a while.

"Kyungsoo's right. Something is happening to Jongin and I think this is more serious than we think it is." Joonmyeon worries.

Baekhyun looked at Luhan, deciding that they should talk. Slowly, he reached over and pulled the older male with him to the bathroom. Chanyeol watched as they walked away.

"Hyung..do you think this has anything to do with..the snow?" Baekhyun asked. Luhan's eyes widened.

"Why would you think that?"

Baekhyun blinked. "I mean, with that stuff going on, maybe our powers are also being affected by the forcefield weakening."

"The force field is what?"

Both males immediately turned around to see Chanyeol leaning against the door. Baekhyun felt shocked yet relieved that it had been Chanyeol, not any other student.

Luhan took a deep breath. "Yeol, you seriously can't tell anyone else. This-"

"I already had my own suspicions about it but now that you two seem so sure, I guess it really was true."

Baekhyun shook his head. "We're not."

"Don't worry, I won't say anything. But if you're hurt or in danger, Baek, you have to tell me." Chanyeol stands in front of his boyfriend, holding his shoulders firmly.

Baekhyun nodded. "Of course."

There was a loud crash from outside. The three looked at each other, startled, before rushing out of the restrooms.

"What-"

"Stand back!" Joonmyeon pushed other students away as they attempted to move away from the table. The whole set was completely covered in ice and even the floor began to freeze in thin layers.

"Minseok!" Luhan called out, rushing over to help.

"I said, stand back!" Joonmyeon pushed Luhan to the other side.

"What's happening?! Why-"

"I don't- I don't know!" Minseok exclaims, panic in his voice.

"Don't go anywhere Baek. Unless you're running away. Don't move." Chanyeol pushed Baekhyun to a safe corner of the floor and rushed to the forming ice rink. Baekhyun's teeth chattered as a cold wind blew his way.

"What's going on?" Chanyeol asked as he finally made it to Joonmyeon without touching the ice.

"Jongdae complained that his water wasn't cold enough and when Minseok tried to make a few ice cubes, the whole cup froze and before we knew it, it started spreading onto the table. Kyungsoo and Jongdae ran to tell the teachers." Joonmyeon explained. Water pooled under his feet. He was using his water nova to change the ice's solid form into soft liquids. Most students, including Luhan, had fleed by now, all standing downstairs or outside the cafeteria building.

"Should I use my-"

"No! Your powers may end up injuring Minseok." Joonmyeon instructed. "Just make sure you don't touch the ice."

"Why?" Chanyeol looked down and stepped back from the frost inching to his feet.

"It feezes everything it touches. Kyungsoo dropped his chopstick and the ice completely crystalized it the second it touched."

Chanyeol took in a deep breath before noticing that there was a trail slowly making its way towards Baekhyun.

"No.." Chanyeol grabbed a chair and slammed its leg hard down on the forming ice but the frost only began to form ontop of the wood. Chanyeol cursed and backed away.

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol called out. The shorter male looked at him. "Get out of there! Move and don't touch the ice no matter what!"

Baekhyun looked down, spotting the thin layer slowly cornering him into the corner.

He made his way to the right, trying to get to the other side where Chanyeol was but the ice started taking over the floor space.

"I-I can't!" Baekhyun yelled back. He panicked, backing against the wall.

"Joonmyeon, do something to save Baekhyun!" Chanyeol exclaimed. Joonmyeon turned his head for a second

"I can't! My nova isn't strong enough to work in both places." Joonmyeon said already out of breath and tired. He knew he wouldn't hold up for another 15 minutes.

"Baek!" Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun watched the ice approach him in fear.

"Y-Yeol...!" Baekhyun cried out, shutting his eyes, waiting for the ice to take over him.

" this-!" Chanyeol extended his hand towards Baekhyun's direction. He closed his eyes.

"Chanyeol, no!" Joonmyeon yelled out but the giant ignored him.

"I can't let him freeze!"

"You're going to hurt him-"

Chanyeol blocked out the senior's voice and focused his energy into the palm of his hand.

A stream of flames shot into the corner Baekhyun was in and engulfed the whole floor in fire. The ice had melted like he wanted but it was also burning furniture and spreading to other areas.

When he opened his eyes, Chanyeol's heart was beating so loudly in his chest. Joonmyeon cursed, pushing Chanyeol onto the floor. He willed the water from the puddles on the floor into a large orb and eliminated Chanyeol's weakening flames.

Minseok's ice was gone from every surface and he had passed out unconcious in his chair.

Baekhyun, too, was gone.

"What..What did I just do?" Chanyeol's eyes stared at the empty spot where Baekhyun stood before.

 


Leave a comment! What do you think Yixing and Kris are saying about the nova tests, the force field, the snow, and Sehun? What happeed to Minseok? Why did Chanyeol set Baekhyun on fire? What happened to Baekhyun?!

Featured comment: DramaQueenAndMore: Damn, Just when I thought things were getting heated up you had to end the chapter, I'm crying:( I want more Hunhan, but I love the character, it got me really excited for the next one, PS " don't embarrass me sehun or I'll play darts with your poster pinned on it." LOL I'm not joking though

Idk I just really wanted Baekhyun to die at least once..

Thanks for reading!! Probably another update by Wednesday~