Chapter 13

Protector

The next NP class came by faster than Baekhyun had expected. It was one of those classes that Baekhyun wanted to sit in the back of and pretend as if he never existed. He could do nothing in that class anyway.

"So today, we'll explore a bit more about the history of novas. Does anyone know anything about this topic? Anything at all?" Ms. Jeong asks. Everyone was seated in the same area as last time in the green house.

Baekhyun leaned over to Sehun and looked around. "Where's Jongin?"

Sehun frowned, "He's not feeling well."

Baekhyun nodded and sighed. Chanyeol sat on the other side of the crowd by himself. Not that the giant seemed to mind the lack of company.

Someone raised their hand. "I heard that novas started through one person. That person then had many children, creating the different novas that exist today." 

Ms. Jeong nodded. "That's mostly correct. But the novas were not created all that quickly. They've evolved and developed over time. For example, if some one with a water nova and someone with a wind nova produce children, then the child will probably have a storm nova of some sort. The results cannot be completely accurate but that's where the categories come in."

Another student raised their hand. "What are some of the rarest or most dangerous novas?"

Ms. Jeong thought to herself. "I can't say. All novas, if misused, can be considered dangerous. As for rare novas..it would have to be the elementals. We have a few at our school- in fact, one in our class!" 

Baekhyun watches as the teacher looks over to the giant quietly sitting by himself. 

"Park Chanyeol. Fire nova." Ms. Jeong says and everyone turns their head to Chanyeol. Whispers and giggles came from the groups of students. 

"Elementals are as we can consider pure-bloods. That means the generations have only mated with people with similar or the same novas." 

After the bell rings, a few girls go up to Chanyeol and Baekhyun tries to not let this bother him. Why did he care? He didn't. Chanyeol was an and he's glad that the taller male was finally leaving him alone. 

"See you around, hyung." Sehun says. He and Tao bow before making their way to the exit. 

Baekhyun spares one more glance at Chanyeol, who was now surrounded by girls for god knows what reason. 

Stupid giant..

At lunch time, Chanyeol didn't bother to get his own food. Joonmyun shook his head. 

"You have to eat something Chanyeol. You didn't even had breakfast." 

Chanyeol rubs his finger on the cold and wet surface of the glass of water. "I'm not hungry."

Jongdae frowns. "C'mon, watching you makes me lose my appetite, too! Do you want some of my food?" 

Chanyeol simply shakes his head. Baekhyun can't help but feel annoyed. Was Chanyeol mocking him? Was he trying to make Baekhyun feel bad? 

He was the one who threw me away first. How unreasonable can he be?!

"Chanyeol o-oppa.." Three girls came over to their table and everyone looked at them. 

"I don't know if you'll like this but I saw that you didn't get lunch. I-if you want, I can get lunch for you everyday.."

Chanyeol looks at the tray of food before up at her. She had a nervous expression on her face. 

Jongdae "oo"s at Chanyeol and Luhan tries to hold in his laughter. Baekhyun, on the other hand, tries to continue eating his food. He could care less if Chanyeol accepted the food from another girl. 

"I don't eat this." The taller male's voice was harsh, taking everyone by surprise. "I don't eat these oily fries and I hate cheese. If you were going to feed me this trash, why don't you eat it first?"

There was silence at the table and the girl's eyes were watering. 

"I-I-" 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes and walks to the bathroom without another word. 

She puts the tray down on the next table and runs away with her two friends behind her. 

"What the hell is with wrong with Chanyeol?" Minseok says, shaking his head.

Jongdae sighs. "He couldn't just say thank you? Even if he wasn't going to eat it." 

Baekhyun gripped his chopsticks tightly. It made anger bubble in his stomach. 

He stands up and his chair screeches as it slides back. 

"Baek-"

"I'll be right back." He huffs and stomps over to the bathroom.

Baekhyun pushes the door open and finds Chanyeol inside leaning against one of the walls. 

"Are you that heartless?" Baekhyun's voice echoed slightly. 

Chanyeol closed his eyes. "Leave me alone. I don't need a lecture from you."

"You're so inconsiderate of everything that doesn't concern you. You think you're so great because you're a pure-blood? You have no right to act as if you're better than everyon-"

Chanyeol smirks and looks at Baekhyun. "Oh yeah? Want to duke it out?"

Baekhyun freezes. "W-what?"

"If you're so great, let's see your nova. You never said what it was." 

Baekhyun swallows and blinks. His heart was beating so fast. 

"I don't have to tell you. And you're forbidden from using y-your nova anyway."

Chanyeol tilted his head and walked over to Baekhyun. "....Am I?" 

There was fear in Baekhyun's eyes but he knew that Chanyeol wouldn't hurt him. But then again, did he really? Chanyeol wasn't his friend nor a trustworthy person.

"Why do you do this? I tried to be your friend but you just push me away. You're mean and obnoxious."

Chanyeol sighed. "Look, you're nice Baekhyun. But I don't need a friend. I've learned to give them up a long time ago. I hope you can do the same."

"Give up friends?" Baekhyun asks. He couldn't help but feel bad for the other male. "You have us,- Jongdae, Luhan, Minseok, Joonmyun hyung..That's a lot of people."

Chanyeol shakes his head. "I don't know what to consider friendship anymore."

Baekhyun watches Chanyeol and felt his heart drop. Was he wrong for saying those things to him? A friend would never say those harsh words. He had experienced that before- being alone and hated by others.

Baekhyun walked up to Chanyeol. "If so then, I'll be your friend. I'll make sure you know what real friendship is like. I'll make sure you never have to feel alone."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "No thanks."

"Why?" Baekhyun blocked Chanyeol when he moved to exit.

"Why what?" Chanyeol groaned.

"Why can't we be friends?"

Chanyeol sighed. "Find go ahead and try but I'm sure after 3 days, you'll wonder why you even tried."

Baekhyun felt a surge of determination to prove Chanyeol wrong.

"Friends are forever. Not just 3 days."

-

It was finally the weekend and Baekhyun felt happier than ever. The first week was more hectic than he thought it would be but he didn't mind. School was school.

"Come on! Let's go together." Baekhyun says, nagging for Chanyeol to roll out of bed. Surprisingly, he had woken up around the same time as Kyungsoo and was able to get in to their dorm with Jongdae's help.

"Leave me alone." Chanyeol mumbles, half asleep. Baekhyun sighs.

"It's already 7."

"It's Saturday." Chanyeol groans and tosses under his blankets.

"And its also time for breakfast."

Chanyeol doesn't stir and Baekhyun shakes his head.

"Wake up you overgrown giant!" Baekhyun pulls at the blankets but they were wrapped around Chanyeol too tightly.

"You're the one that's tiny, that's all."

Baekhyun frowns. "I'm fun sized! Not tiny!"

Chanyeol rolls over and looks up at Baekhyun. His blanket surrounded his entire body except his face. The moment their eyes met, Baekhyun felt slustered and immediately took a step back.

Chanyeol smirked. "Tiny."

Baekhyun groaned and pulled on Chanyeol's whole body, causing him to fall on the ground with a thud.

"Yah!" Chanyeol yells as he glares up at Baekhyun. Now it was his turn to smirk.

"Get up! We have to go." The shorter skips his way out with a satisfied smile and Chanyeol huffs, flopping back on the ground.

-

Jongdae and Joonmyun watched in amazement as Chanyeol scarfed down the breakfast that Baekhyun had gotten for him.

"And you say you haven't been hungry?" Minseok asks.

Chanyeol shoves a spoonful of rice in his mouth and takes a sip of hot soup before picking up a few pieces of beef and kimchi. Baekhyun couldn't t help but feel relaxed seeing Chanyeol eating normally again. Just watching him was entertaining enough for him.

"I'm not." Chanyeol says with a full mouth. Luhan laughs and Jongdae stares at him.

"Yet your mouth is completely stuffed! What happened with Baekhyun?"

The said male didn't respond  and simply continued to eat his food. One tiny glance up at Chanyeol and Baekhyun couldn't hold back a smile.

"Oh-! What-?!" Jongdae points as he catches Baekhyun looking at Chanyeol and smiling to himself.

"Hm?" Baekhyun says innocently. Chanyeol rolls his eyes as Jongdae attempts to figure things out.

"You two-!!"

Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun before going back to his almost finished tray of food. There were no classes, which was something Baekhyun openly rejoiced about.

"Anyway," Baekhyun says. "What are your plans for today?"

Luhan speaks up. "I'm planning on going to the lake with Sehun. They recently built a bridge for whatever reason."

Minseok brightens and nudges at Jongdae beside him. "Let's go, too! C'mon!"

Baekhyun kicks at Chanyeol's shin and the other male winces, sending a glare his way.

"We should go!" Baekhyun suggests. Chanyeol looks at him as if he just said the most absurd idea.

"What do you mean by 'we'? If you want to go, go by yourself." Chanyeol says, pushing his completely empty tray away.

Baekhyun pouts. "Friends do things together."

Jongdae's eyes widen. "Wait- Friends? You and Chanyeol are friends?"

Baekhyun nods with a proud smile. "Yep! Isn't that right, giant?"

Chanyeol raised his eyebrow. "You decided all this on your own."

"But you- wait, don't change the subject! We're going!" Baekhyun turned to his roommate. "Kyungsoo hyung, wanna come with us?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No thanks, I don't want to be a third wheel."

Baekhyun frowned. "We can invite Jongi-"

The older male immediately shook his head. "No, no no! I'll go! Just- don't invite Jongin."

It was obvious there was something going on between the two but no one mentioned it.  Jongin hadn't been sitting with them, nor has he popped up randomly to say hi.

"So are we all going? Joonmyun hyung?" Luhan looked at his friend.

Joonyun had a slight blush on his face. "I guess it wouldn't hurt..maybe I could invite Yixing-"

Jongdae whistled and Joonmyun knew he regretted saying it out loud.

"That's my hyung right there! So proud; finally making a move."

Joonmyun groaned and Minseok laughed at his embarrassed expression.

"Hurry and finish eating! We should go early."

-

Baekhyun followed his friends to the lake down a trail from the main campus. Chanyeol was reluctantly trudging along but he hadn't uttered a word since they left the cafeteria. Jongdae and Minseok were linked by the arm and Kyungsoo walked with Joonmyun. Apparently, he had texted Yixing an invite but the other male hadn't responded yet. Luhan slung his arm around Sehun, despite the irony in their height. It was obvious that Luhan had a huge crush on the oblivious sophomore.

"See? It's not that bad." Baekhyun says to Chanyeol, who kept his hands in his pocket. The weather was nice and breezy- not too chilly or humid.

"I just don't see why I have to go see a bridge. It's a bridge, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun wiggled his finger and shook his head. "A new bridge. A walking bridge. These things are more symbolic than you may think."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure."

They made it to the lake within a few minutes and Baekhyun immediately awed at the sight.

"Woah! It's huge!" Baekhyun jogs ahead over to the bridge before turning back to Chanyeol, who casually took his time making his way over.

"Hurry up will you?"

Chanyeol mumbles to himself as he watches Baekhyun jump up and down excitedly. "For someone so tiny, he sure has a ton of energy."

There were already many students walking on the bridge with their friends. Chanyeol barely stepped foot onto the bridge before Baekhyun scurried away to look at the vast lake. On one side, you could see the continuous forest and on the other, you could gaze at the distant mountain ranges that seemed almost endless.

Baekhyun leaned over the stone bridge, stepping into the cracks of the carved design to give himself a lift. Although the railings of the ridge weren't too tall, Baekhyun liked how the wind blew in his hair when he stood there.

"Chanyeol come look!" Baekhyun says, motioning for the other male to come over.

Baekhyun leaned over in amazement. "How can the water be so blue?! Back at home, the water is almost green! Well- it depends where you g-ahh!"

Baekhyun felt himself leaning over a bit more than he thought and his legs lost balance. He shut his eyes tightly for the fall when someone's strong arms wrapped tightly around his waist.

 


Getting into the plot soon~!

Leave a comment! Who do you think caught Baekhyun? Anyone waiting for a Kaisoo make up?

Thanks for reading guys! Also, thank you so so much for commenting and upvoting! Your support really motivates me to write more! >.< <3 <3 <3

PS: Anyone going to the GOT7 concert? :D