Chapter 35

Protector

"Pst."

Baekhyun turned around as he noticed Luhan motioning for him to go into the boy's bathroom. Baekhyun looked around before pointing at himself and Luhan nodded.

"Hurry up!"

Baekhyun made his way over into the restroom and Luhan pulled him in.

Checking to making sure that they were alone, Luhan put his hand on his hip. "Baekhyun, remember..what happened that day? During the scavenger hunt?"

"When you got hurt?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

"No- Well, yes that time but before that. We were searching for something and-"

"The sno-"

"Shush!" Luhan pressed his hand ontop of Baekhyun's mouth and hissed for the younger male to speak more softly.

"Yeah..that. Have you told anyone?"

Baekhyun, with Luhan's hand's still over his face, shook his head.

Luhan let out a sigh of relief. "Thank god." He removed his hands.

"What about it?" Baekhyun knew that they had seen something they shouldn't have.

"Well, I overheard my NP teacher speaking to the principal about a few things..regarding that." Luhan explains.

"Like what? What did they say?"

Luhan checked if anyone was outside.

"Listen, what I'm telling you now is for your ears only because we were there together. Don't tell anyone even if your life depended on it! Don't tell Kyungsoo and most definitely don't tell Chanyeol! I don't know when or even if this will get out any time soon but you have to promise me." Luhan held out his pinky finger for Baekhyun. Doing that made the situation seem a lot less serious than Luhan's word's described but he did so anyway, promising to not tell.

"Okay."

Luhan took a deep breath. "I think our school is in danger."

Baekhyun blinked. "W-What?"

"As I told you before, our school ground has never had that anywhere all year round. Us seeing that couldn't have been a mistake. That was the real thing. Which means that the force field is weakening and possibly even deteriorating."

Baekhyun's eyes widened at Luhan's words.

"So..what happens to us?"

Luhan shook his head. "I don't know. It seems that most of the teachers are aware of this but they are not mentioning anything to prevent any uproars or unnecessary scares."

Baekhyun tried to think of what this could mean. Why was this happening?

"The teachers, the principal, they can fix this right?"

Luhan's expression made Baekhyun uneasy. "I'm not sur-"

The class bell rang. "-We have to get to class. I'll keep you updated but other than that, don't say a word to another soul about this!"

Baekhyun nodded, watching as Luhan jogged out of the bathroom.

-

"Why do you look so down?" Chanyeol asked, watching Baekhyun rest his head in his hands during their study session.

"Nothing." Baekhyun sighed, looking over his notes.

Chanyeol pursed his lips. "If you say so."

There was a silence between them. It's been a two weeks since they started dating. Their relationship hadn't drastically changed to the point that they were together 24/7 (according to Jongin they were) but every now and then, Chanyeol would be able to hold his boyfriend's hand and kiss him when he wanted.

"Yeol," Baekhyun looked up at him. "On a scale of one to ten..how safe is this school?"

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows, confused by Baekhyun's question. "What do you mean?"

"I mean..everyday at this school seems really relaxed. Sure tests are annoying and I might oversleep every now and then, but I don't find myself thinking about what other people are doing in the real world."

"This isn't a fake world, Baek." Chanyeol chuckles. "We're just different. This is where we belong. For the time being at least. After graduation, we have to return to the lives we had before with a new understanding and ability to control our novas while living as ordinary people."

Baekhyun nodded, having heard this many times before from other teachers. "I guess...What happens if you leave this school early?"

Chanyeol shrugged. "Dunno..I'm sure it'll be difficult."

Baekhyun nodded again. "Yeol, on a scale of one to ten, how much do you like me?"

Chanyeol felt flustered by the sudden question. "H-Huh? Of course 10."

Baekhyun smiled.

"Then what about me?" Chanyeol asked, leaning closer to Baekhyun from across the table.

"Hm..6?"

Chanyeol frowned and Baekhyun couldn't help but think how cute he looked. "Yah!"

Baekhyun laughed. "I'm just kidding! For me, 11."

Chanyeol felt his heart race. To hear that Baekhyun liked him that much made his cheeks redden and his blood run through his veins faster.

"Come here." The giant motioned for Baekhyun to come closer.

Baekhyun hesitated before leaning in.

"Closer..!" Chanyeol urged him again until Baekhyun was only inches away from his face. Picking up one of the books on the table, Chanyeol opened it to a random page and covered both their faces from one side.

"Wha-"

Chanyeol connected their lips in a soft but passionate kiss, leaving Baekhyun lost for words.

"Y-you-!" Baekhyun wasn't a huge fan of PDA, unlike Chanyeol.

"I just wanted to kiss you."

Baekhyun blushed. "Don't do that in the library."

Chanyeol put the book down. "Why not? You like me so much anyway-"

Baekhyun reached over and slapped Chanyeol's arm.

"Stop it! Don't make me take back my words!"

Chanyeol smiled and grabbed Baekhyun's hand.  "You're mine."

Baekhyun avoided his eyes. It had now become a thing for them to say to each other. Not that Baekhyun didn't like it, but in front of others, it was quite embarrassing.

"I-I'm yours..you giant idiot" Baekhyun mumbled, just loud enough for Chanyeol to hear. During the rest of the session, their hands remained connected and there was always a smile on Chanyeol's lips.

-

"Hyung what are you doing?" Baekhyun asked as he entered their dorm room.

"Baekhyun, mind staying on your bed for a bit?" Kyungsoo popped his head out from the side of the furniture he was moving.

"Why are you carrying your dresser?" Baekhyun dropped his bag to the floor and sat on his bed, knowing that if he walked around, he'd only get in Kyungsoo's way.

"Jongin said I should rearrange my area. I'm just moving this to the other wall so my desk can have more space."

"Oh..okay." Baekhyun checked his phone before charging it at his desk. "I'm going to shower."

"Mhm." Kyungsoo hums mindlessly, carrying a heavy stack of books from his desk.

Baekhyun put his hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder, trying to get past to the bathroom.

Suddenly, Kyungsoo let go of all the books, dropping the whole stack onto the floor.

"Hyung..!" Baekhyun came out of the bathroom, shocked to see Kyungsoo crouching down.  "What happened?"

Kyungsoo looked down at his arm. "I-I don't know..It suddenly felt...heavy."

Baekhyun bent down to help rearrange th stack of books. "What did?"

"Everything. These books. It was unbearably heavy." Kyungsoo picked up one book.

"What about now?"

Kyungsoo weighed the book with his hand and then picked up two more. "Now, its normal. It feels like a feather."

Baekhyun frowns. "Has that happened before?"

The senior shook his head. "Not at all. Never..Carrying things have always been easy for me. Hell, I just carried my whole dresser!"

Kyungsoo carried the stack effortlessly and placed it ontop of his desk.

"Call me if you need help." Baekhyun says,  before re-entering the bathroom.

-

"So what are you saying?" Kris narrowed his eyes as the two girls explained their side of the story.

"We never heard from her again. The principal didn't explain anything to us. Min-ah didn't even physically hurt that transfer student anyway." One of the girls complained.

"All we know is that she was removed from the school one day and Byun wasn't given any sort of punishment." Said the other.

Kris glanced around the empty hallway they stood in. "Baekhyun..are you sure he didn't use his nova? He didn't do anything?"

The first girl scoffed. "He attacked Min-ah but nothing special happened, other than the fact that he spoke again. Aish! Does he even have a nova?!"

Kris ran his hand through his hair. "Alright, thank you. You two can head to class now."

The two girls rolled their eyes and walked back down the hall. Kris unfolded the paper the Ms. Kim had given him. Written on it was an address that only existed outside of the force field.

-

"You can do this, Tao. Just go up to him and tell him." Tao spoke to himself as he headed over to the main office where a certain tall blonde male usual worked.

Tao paused. "Wait..why do I even care?"

After hearing around from Jongin and other students, he found that Kris was asking about Baekhyun's nova.

"I mean," Tao spoke to himself in the middle of the campus yard. "It's not like I'm using this to my advantage..right? I'm just trying to help him. He wants to know what Baekhyun's nova is, and I just happen to know it."

Tao took another step before pausing for another self-argument. "A-And it's not like this is an excuse to talk to that chicken...I-I don't care about him. I'm just helping him out, yeah, that's all."

Tao was about to continue walking when he spotted the familiar safeguard leaving the office and walking towards him. Tao's eyes widened and he tried to approach Kris as naturally as possible.

"W-Where are you going?" Tao asked, coming across the other male. It was the first time they've spoken in a while. Tao didn't know how Kris felt about him anymore. If he still liked him, the older male sure wasn't showing it.

"None of your business, panda." Kris said, sparing him a glance.

Tao didn't know whether to feel annoyed or relieved that Kris was still calling him by that nickname.

"Is it important?"

Kris nodded curtly.

Tao bit his lip. "I heard..you were-"

"Look, Tao," Kris started, slowing down his steps. The sophomore tensed hearing him call him by his real name. "If you're concerned that I'm still going after you, don't. I'm not the type of person who insists on what's not meant to be. I respect your decisions and your interests so from now on, there's nothing tying us together. Get back safely."

Kris bowed and walked away, leaving Tao feeling embarrassed and unwanted.

Tao clenched his fists. "That stupid overgrown chicken..not like I was even going to talk about that.."

*flashback*

"Aish..why doesn't Sehun just come here himself?" Tao muttered under his breath. "Or just send Jongin...he'd get here in a blink of an ey-"

Tao stopped outside the nurses office, noticing that there were people inside. With how quiet the building was, Tao didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation but it was probably better than interrupting.

"It was completely an accident but I wasn't sure if it was because of what you had told me earlier.." Someone says. Tao blinked, trying identify the speaker. He heard footsteps from one side of the room.

"Yeah, Chanyeol goes out like a light." That was Yixing hyung for sure, Tao thought. He bent down just in case he would be seen from the small window in the door.

"At first I had thought I stolen his nova-" he cuts himself off immediately. Is that...Baekhyun?

Tao's eyes widen. 'Stealing?..Stealing someone's nova..?!'

There was a silence.

"I heard from Principle Kim..About your nova." Yixing spoke up.

"Oh.."

"How does it feel?"

"Honestly, scary. I'm new to all this nova stuff and I can barely control it. I don't want to use it. I'm scared of what I can do."

Tao covered his mouth. 'So Baekhyun did have a nova..?' He pressed his ear to the door, hoping to hear more of this.

Yixing's voice was gentle. "It'll come to you naturally. It's a part of you."

"Hyung..do you think..that my nova could possibly..you know..accidentally...? Ms. Kim put me on prohibition but-" Baekhyun was cut off.

"Is that what you first thought happened when Chanyeol passed out?" Yixing asks.

"I doubt it will happen but then again, you have such a rare nova, I don't know what can or will happen."

"But what if it does happen?"

"I assure you, if it does happen, it won't be by any accident. You control your nova. It doesn't control you."

"T-thanks hyung." Baekhyun stuttered.

There was another silence and Tao was now pressed up against the door. 'Why can't I hear anything?' he mumbled to himself. Just when he was going to pull away, he head bumped into the door handle and he winced in pain. He suddenly remembered his situation and picked himself off the floor.

"Who's there?"  Yixing demanded, his voice coming closer to the door.

Within a second, Tao scurried away and out of the building.

*end of flashback*


 

Hello! It's been a while since the last update! School has started for me but I'm still trying to update as much as possible. Please be patient~ >.<

Leave a comment! What do you think will happen now that Luhan and Baekhyun know something is up? Will Chanyeol find out? Where is Kris going? What will happen now that Tao knows what Baekhyun's nova is?

Featured comment: anemellie : I seriously love your story author-nim! Amd all the pairings! But the lack of Xiuchen is killing me! I hope Sehun stops being a dickhead, and that Taoris/Sulay/Krisho misunderstanding to end!

Thank you, as always, for being so patient and supportive of this story! Hope you enjoyed this chapter :) <3 <3