Chapter 15

Protector

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol in front of him. The giant sighed and shook his head.

"Nevermind...just- If you're ever in danger, send me some signals. Don't call for Yixing."

Chanyeol continued walking, too causally for Baekhyun to not be more curious now. Was Chanyeol actually being nice to him?

"Y-Yah!" Baekhyun called out effortlessly, jogging to catch up to the taller male.

Baekhyun knew that they should be making their way back now but for some reason, he didn't mind being with Chanyeol. He felt comfortable and relaxed, even though Chanyeol wasn't the best company he could ask for.

"You can't even use your nova. How do you expect to protect me?" Baekhyun asks and Chanyeol smirks.

"There are other ways."

Over the next two weeks, Baekhyun grew to like Chanyeol. No one really knew how it happened but the two would always be together, whether it was Baekhyun who would run up to Chanyeol for the homework assignment or Chanyeol asking for Baekhyun to get him specific foods in the cafeteria. The contrast of their heights and personalities no longer clashed with anger but with laughter. Chanyeol spent more time in Kyungsoo's room than his own, sending hours studying with a certain brunet.

To Baekhyun, this was a normal school routine. Surprisingly, he and Chanyeol had more things in common than he had thought. When Chanyeol wasn't arguing or complaining, he actually laughed and smiled like a normal teenage boy. Baekhyun noticed how is eyes crinkled and his straight pearly teeth would show when he smiled widley. His laugh was soothing and Baekhyun couldn't help but want to laugh with him. Maybe Chanyeol isn't that bad of a person, Baekhyun thought.

"Yeol, what are you doing?" Baekhyun says, staring at the other male. They were currently in the library doing math homework.

"Reading." Chanyeol mumbles, resting his cheek on the palm of his hands. His eyes didn't stop scanning the words in the novel in front of him. Baekhyun stil couldn't get over how Chanyeol was the best student in school. What could he not do?

"Could you help me with this question? I don't get how to solve this without getting a negative num-"

Chanyeol held out his hand and Baekhyun smiled, eagerly passing over his notebook. Chanyeol sighs and reads over the questions before holding his hand out again. Baekhyun hands him a pencil before watching Chanyeol scribble somethings down.

Within a minute, Chanyeol slid the notebook back with the pencil neatly sitting on top. Baekhyun thanked him but the giant was already back into his book.

Another 8 minutes passed before Baekhyun found himself stuck on another question. He looked up at Chanyeol hesitantly.

No, Baekhyun. Don't bother him..Skip this question and work on the next.

Baekhyun nodded to himself and looked at the next problem.

Then his eyes drifted to the next. And the next.

....okay no.

"Chanyeol-ah...I'm stuck on another one.."

Chanyeol looks up at him and Baekhyun gives him a sheepish smile, sliding his notebook over. Chanyeol raises an eyebrow and stares at circled questions.

"Which one?"

Baekhyun awkwardly chuckles. "A-All of them.."

Chanyeol sighs at shakes his head before motioning his hand for Baekhyun to come over to sit beside him. Baekhyun blinked but stood up and sat next to him anyway.

"Why don't I teach you once so you stop bothering me?" Chanyeol says and Baekhyun nods, mumbling a quiet apology.

Chanyeol moved the notebook in between them and pointed the pencil at the words, circling and underlining the vocabulary. Baekhyun knew what the variables were and listened carefully to Chanyeol's explanation of how to set up the equation.

But slowly, his eyes drifted from the worksheet to Chanyeol's long fingers, his slender arm, then up to his Adam's apple. Baekhyun's gaze moved higher up to Chanyeol's sharp and defined jaw line, then to his thick, pink lips.

Baekhyun swallowed, watching them glisten after Chanyeol his lips as he spoke.

It was only when the other male stopped speaking that Baekhyun snapped out of his daze.

"Are you listening to me? Or are you busy staring at something else?" Chanyeol says with a frown.

Baekhyun coughs and sits up, pulling his notebook back. "Y-Yeah I got it. Thanks."

He returns to his seat and steals one more glance at Chanyeol.

"Your lips are dry by the way. You should put some lotion them." Baekhyun tells him before realizing what he said. Chanyeol just laughs before going back to his book.

Who puts lotion on their lips!? I'm such an idiot, Baekhyun.

-

"It's been two weeks. Why isn't he talking to me?" Kyungsoo complains. He, Baekhyun and Luhan sat in the cafeteria for some tea (It was "necessary" according to Luhan but it was obvious it was only because Sehun was sitting a couple tables away.).

"I mean..after what you just told us, it seems like he's pretty hurt." Luhan says.

Baekhyun nodded. "You basically flat out rejected him and told him you could never be interested in him because he's a guy. And- how long has he had a crush on you?"

"A whole year." Luhan fills in.

"But we were friends..sort of. He should at least talk to me." Kyungsoo says with a frown. For some reason, he missed Jongin suddenly popping up out of no where and giving him hugs or just walking him to his next class. Every time the younger male did these things, Kyungsoo would usually get angry or simply let Jongin do what he wants.

"He's trying to get over you. Honestly, if he really doesn't have a chance, this is good for him." Luhan says, peering over to the other table in front of them.

Kyungsoo sighs. "I don't know anymore. It's just that.. Jongin was always there. I never thought that he'd give up so quickly.."

"But isn't that what you wanted?"

"Yeah. I guess?" His response came out more like a question.

"Do you miss him?" Baekhyun asked.

Kyungsoo blinked and looked up. "W-Well, I don't know. I kind of do and I kind of don't."

"Do you think he misses you?" Luhan questions and Kyungsoo opens his mouth to speak.

"Wait," Luhan shakes his head. "Let me rephrase that. Do you want him to miss you?"

Kyungsoo pauses and thinks to himself. Do I..?

"Maybe just a little..?"

Just then, there was a familiar laughter followed by a girly giggle. The three boys looked at each other before turning to the cafeteria entrance.

Kyungsoo's eyes watched the figures walking up to snack bar. His heart started beating quickly before slowing down. His arms felt weak and he felt hopeless observing the sight before him.

"Is that-"

"Jongin..?"

The said sophomore was walking beside one of the prettiest girls in their school with his arm around her waist. She was everything any straight guy would like in a girl - long dark hair, a small face, pale skin, large eyes, thin frame. She laughed when Jongin said something, causing him to smile at her.

"He moved on pretty quickly.." Baekhyun says and Kyungsoo looks down at his cup of tea with embarrassment. Why did he feel this way? Why did he feel so betrayed and foolish for believing that Jongin actually liked him?

"I was right."

Luhan and Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo.

"About what?"

"His crush on me was just a phase. He never actually liked me."

Luhan frowned. "I'm sure that's not true. He wouldn't have stuck around for so long if he didn't. Maybe he's just trying to make a new friend."

They looked over again and watched Jongin plant a kiss on her cheek as she blushed.

Kyungsoo's heart dropped heavily and the uncomfortable feeling in his stomach increased. "I don't think so."

Baekhyun tried to think of something before standing up. "Jongin!"

He waved his hand to catch the younger male's attention. Kyungsoo immediately panicked and froze.

"What-!? Why- Don't call him over!" Kyungsoo says, hoping that Jongin doesn't see them.

"Too late. He's coming over." Luhan says and Kyungsoo feels like fainting on the spot. What was he supposed to say? How was he supposed to react?

"Hey guys." Jongin says casually, approaching their small table with his lady friend.

"Hey, Jongin...whos is this?" Luhan says, looking a the girl up and down. She was prettier in person but Luhan watched her closely.

"Hyerin. She's in my science and English class."

Kyungsoo stares down at his tea, looking at his own reflection. Jongin's presence got on his nerves. Jongin hadn't even greeted him since he arrived at their table.

"Oh cool.." Baekhyun says before there was an awkward silence.

"Hyung-"

"I'm happy for you two." Kyungsoo cuts Jongin off. "You two look nice together."

The girl furrows her eyebrows. "Thanks but we're-"

"I can't believe I thought you were honest with me." Kyungsoo says, looking up directly and Jongin.  Before the sophomore could say anything else, Kyungsoo stood up and pushed his chair back with a squeak.

"What do you mean?" Jongin started to say but Kyungsoo was already half way to the door.

Stupid Jongin.. Kyungsoo thought with a frown. He couldn't stop his heart from racing.

-

"Sehun."

The said male looked over to his friend.

"Yeah?"

"I think Kyungsoo hyung hates me."

"Why?"

Jongin frowned and rolled over on his bed.

"I think he misunderstood something today..and I want to give him space but I don't know how."

Sehun scrolled through his phone. "To be honest, you sound like you're still in love with him."

Jongin sighed. "Because I still am."

"Make up your mind. You either avoid him and get him space. Or, you tell him you'll be there for him when he needs you. You have to sacarifice one or the other."

When Jongin didn't reply, Sehun bent over his bed and threw his slipper at his friend's motionless body.

"Ow! What was that for?"

Sehun watched as Jongin attempted to grab the shoe and throw it on the ground.

"Just making sure you're okay."

Jongin couldn't understand Sehun's words but he didn't have to.
 


I'm so sorry for this crappy chapter. T^T

Leave a comment! Will Jongin leave Kyungsoo? Who is Jongin's lady friend?

Thanks for reading! <3