Ch. 23

Red

“Where are you headed so early?” Shaye’s head whipped to the direction of the bed to find Hoseok following her.

She held a finger to her lips ‘A shower before I go speak with an old friend.

Why so early and are you sure your legs can handle it today?

Because the maknaes made me nap so much yesterday.

He tilted his head ‘They didn’t make you do anything.

She shook hers ‘I sat with them the most of out of any of you and missed out on most of the conversations. Because I kept zonking out. They’re very persuasive you know. Oh and I know my lim-

He gave her a look.

‘-it and I will follow it today. Don’t worry so much.

He smiled ‘It’s not like you make it easy not to. Let me you to Raven’s room when you’re done?

Shaye conceded ‘If it’ll make you feel better, sure.

---

Hoseok helped Shaye down the hall. “Are you sure it’s alright?”

“Ah the princess is finally awake. Nice of you to rejoin the living. You can tell your guard dog to leave” A muffled voice called from the other side of the door.

Shaye looked up at Hoseok with a playful glint in her eyes “Woof. Relax, Raven can’t hurt me in anyway that matters.”

“Alright, call if you need help.”

“Not gonna need it but sure” she kissed his cheek before slipping into the room. And then promptly slid down the door to take a seat on the floor.

“Why the lock up?” Raven tilted their head “Don’t you trust me?”

“Not in a house full of people who don’t know what you’re capable of.”

“It’s true but it still hurts a little” they placed a hand over their heart. “Anyways I was good while you were out. I could’ve left the room if I wanted.”

Shaye nodded in agreement “My brothers had a hand in this room. You would’ve had slight difficulty getting out but it wouldn’t have stopped you. Unlike had it been my handy work.” She gave a toothy smile. “You might be fae but we know whose magic is stronger.”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever” Raven rolled their eyes. “Anyways I was bored out of my mind waiting for you.”

Shaye smirked and slowly shook her head “No… you weren’t. And you can thank your brother for the wait.”

Raven tilted their head and studied her for a moment “You haven’t forgiven me yet.”

“Not really. And I see those gears spinning. Don’t even think that we’re even. You dragged me through your family . That woman has never been family. And you knew she was psychotic before you started working for her. Seriously, I know you need a new place to hide out but why her?”

Raven’s shoulders slumped and there was a slight pause until a stomach grumbled. Shaye sighed and nodded her head towards the door behind her “Let’s get some food and we can discuss things further.”

Raven’s head shot up “I get to leave the room?”

---

Shaye thanked Kyungsoo for the food before shooing a few of the guys that were up and milling around out of the room. “So why were you helping her?” Shaye took a bit of her toast.

“Good pay.” Raven shrugged “But I tried quitting once I found out what they were doing to those girls that look like you. The guy that was with her; seemed to know what I was and wouldn’t let me go. I know we’re not always on the best of terms but ya gotta believe me.”

 Shaye studied them for a bit before tapping her neck “You’ve got a burn mark of a hand print that isn’t healing like it should. I’d say that’s enough to believe you right there. Let me take a look at it later.”

“Thank gods. Ooh” Their gaze followed someone behind Shaye.

Shaye pointed at Raven knowing full well who the four were that were peaking around the door. “They’re mine.”

Raven raised their hands and let out a low whistle as Jae’s mate walked by.

“She’s also taken. As a rule of thumb it’d probably be easier to just not unless someone here shows interest in you first.”

Raven pouted before they continued eating “Fine.”

“I thought you two weren’t friends?!” Jimin finally cried out.

“We’re not.”

“But”

They both slowly shook their heads looking at him like he were crazy and three sets of hands pulled him out of the doorway.

Raven sighed “I won’t start anything. Can I stay with you for a while?”

Shaye’s head snapped up. “No, you know what happens when we’re around each other for too long.” Raven slumped back in their chair “Can I at least stay in on of your; what is it now? 5? Houses.”

“5!-” Jungkook’s voice was cut off. Shaye cocked her head towards the door.

“Only if you tell me why you can’t go home and if you can stay with Maru for the time being while I make sure things are safe. And it’s 3 now. Besides with as much as you owe me. I still owe you one.

“Sounds good, but you know damn well why I can’t go home.”

Someone cleared their throat gaining the duo’s attention “Can we go back to the fact that you had 5 houses of your own at one point?” Chanyeol stood there with a few of her mates.

Shaye shrugged “What? I get paid good clean money for a lot of the work I do.”

“What about the rest?”

“Sometimes I work for free. They don’t call me a vigilante for nothing. Now do you mind?” She raised an eyebrow and they all backed out of the room again. “So who is trying to kill you this time? Mom?”

Raven shook their head. “Brother.”

“Why would family do that?”

Shaye turned to see Jin in the door this time with the others peaking around him and looked to Raven for permission. “Raven is the chosen heir to their father’s kingdom, doesn’t want it but even so Raven’s death is frequently sought after even though they stepped down. Giving ‘em a house is the least I could do.”

“If you’re on decent terms then why keep Raven locked up while you were out?”

Raven straightened their back “Because of my nature she never knows what I’ve gotten myself into, whose side I’m on at the time or which of me she’ll get. I’m not the safest person to be around. Except for Shaye, she can handle herself pretty well.”

“Well how long is it going to take to secure one of your places?”

Shaye groaned and muttered something about having no privacy among wolves. “The answer is No, Suho. But it could take anywhere from a few days to a month. It depends on how tangled everything has gotten. But No.”

He joined them at the table “Raven could stay here for the time being, it’s not a problem.”

Shaye took a deep breather before leaning on her arms on the table. “Except that it is. I said no. With all due respect; I don’t want Raven staying here if I’m not staying here.”

“Then stay here a bit longer.”

Shaye gave Raven a frustrated look “I appreciate you trying to work it out so I can stay here. But someone might die if Shaye and I are in the same place for too long.”

Shaye nodded her thanks to Raven before turning back to Suho “I’m exhausted and want to go home. Ezra’s pack is getting ready to leave as well. Raven and Maru know each other. Therefore Raven will be staying with Maru.”

Suho winced “But what if-” There was a whine in the other room.

And Shaye’s eye’s widened “Oh my gods. Who is it?”

“Zelo.”

“When did they get here?!” Shaye turned back to Raven “I can’t believe this is happening. If the two of you accept each other as mates; He is one of the youngest members of this family. If you hurt him or anyone of the five packs, I will end your life faster than anyone in your family can.” 

“Noona!”

Suho sighed “He’s right, that was a bit harsh.”

Raven raised a hand “But it was necessary.”

Shaye threw her arm out while giving Suho a look. “Come on. May as well introduce you to your potential mate.”

Raven hopped out of their seat and followed Shaye to the living room.

“Who-”

Zelo practically tackled Raven in a hug, pulling them away from Shaye. “Noona, why do you have to be so mean?”

Shaye turned to him with a stoic face “Don’t ‘noona’ me. And I wasn’t being mean I was being cautious.”

“Whatever you want to call it, can you tone it down and be a little nicer to Raven? You’re setting off Zelo’s wolf.” Himchan requested from one of the couches.

“But-”

“It’s alright, that is her being nice. We go back a ways so don’t you think I’d know when she wasn’t? Besides she obviously cares about everyone here.”

Chen swung an arm around Shaye’s shoulders “Ah the mama bear in her natural habitat.”

She elbowed him in the stomach “Do not make me the matriarch of whatever this group is becoming. Besides what am I supposed to say? Welcome to the family, don’t get anyone killed?”

“Probably not that last part but yes.”

Shaye rolls her eyes and sighs before choosing to ignore everyone and waves for Yongguk to follow her to the kitchen. “I guess I’ll be giving the house to the pack then rather than just Raven. It’ll take a bit longer because I’ll have to fairy proof it from all but Raven. No one will be able to find the house unless they’re of the brothers’ Alpha-”

“Who?”

Shaye rolls her eyes “Seriously? I’m not going to explain that.”

“She means us, Hyung” Chanyeol chuckled as he entered the kitchen. “The couple and anyone who has been given special permission that can be given or taken away by all of the above including myself.”

Yongguk leaned against the counter. “So what are we getting thrown into here?”

A slow grin graced her lips “A giant game of keep away. Raven is a chosen heir and even though they denounced themselves as so. Their father refuses to choose anyone else as fit yet. I suggest you start keeping memory stones on you in case it comes down to killing one of their attackers. It’s the only way to prove self-defense. Otherwise stay out of the way and let Raven handle it themselves. It’s the only way not to set their father off on the entire pack and family. The last thing we need is a war with the fae whether it’s intentional or not.”

Ezra took the moment to clear his throat catching Shaye’s attention. She rolled her eyes before looking away while the few who knew of his teasing chuckled.

“Don’t”

“Alright” He smirked “Oh captain my captain.” He mock saluted. “All joking aside, may I borrow her?”

“Sure.”

Ezra looked to Shaye “Walk outside?” she followed him out back.

“Is this more Alpha talk?”

“Yes.” Ezra nodded “Why are you so against it?”

“You mean aside from the fact that I’m not a wolf?” Shaye sighed “I’m only 23 Ez, and the way you keep talking about me being an Alpha makes it seem like its’ going to happen tomorrow. And I have a feeling of what I’ll be the leader of and I’m not ready to become the head of this ragtag family.”

Ezra stopped and rested his hands on her shoulders “I know the idea of taking care of so many lives is scary but look around you, all of the Alphas here are fairly young. Your mate of the same age is an Alpha.”

“Yes but four of the six come from a family of Alphas.” Shaye shook her head.

But Ezra wasn’t done “You think you’re not a leader but look at what you orchestrated just to save someone you didn’t know.” He held a hand up when Shaye went to speak “Now, I know it was also to take down your aunt but despite what anyone says I also know that your personal main objective was to save Jae no matter what.” He looked past her “Who was it that would take the lead when you’d work with Maru and Raven?”

“She would.”

Shaye turned to find that Maru and Yoongi had followed them out. “You’re not helping.” She glared at Maru before turning back to Ezra “I don’t want to be in charge. Beside what would happen to you and all the other Alphas?”

Ezra chuckled “We’d still be Alphas kind of like how Chanyeol is an Alpha but chose to step down.”

Shaye closed her eyes and breathed slowly “Alright, lets say that I choose to accept the fact that I may be an Alpha someday can I choose to step back like Chanyeol?”

Ezra chuckled lightly “You may, however your prowess might not allow that. You are going to be exceptionally powerful, young one.”

“As long as that doesn’t include me dying and becoming a demi-god like creature I guess I can deal with it. Not like I really have a choice in the matter.”

“Great, it’s settled them.”

“What?” Shaye started to shake and Yoongi wrapped his arms around her.

“Don’t worry no one is going to suddenly drop to the floor when we go back inside. What I meant by settled is that you’ve finally accepted one of your fates little one.”  

 


 

Anyone ever see the movie "Dead Poets Society"?

- Fayt