Ugly- Taemin

Naeun One Shot Collections

“Look, the ugly kid.”

Naeun lowered her head, passing by the group of naughty senior quickly until one of them, from another group of student calls her.

Yeah, who else will they call weird kid if it’s not her. She fixes her spectacles on the bridge of her nose and slowly lifts her head, not that high, one can barely see how she looks like.

“Deh sunbaenim.”

Some girls are looking at her with annoyed because she is now talking to the handsome bunch but some were whispering that she must be their next target. That they will use as a slave. Now she has to scold herself to walk along the pathway.

“Here.”

One of them that named as Minho gave her a few papers that were piled together. She needs to arch her eyebrows but before she did, the boy speak up.

“It’s Taemin form. He is new here. Take it to Professor Lee and tell him that Taemin is going to be in the same class with me.”

She listed her head a little more to see who the boy is but was of course, interrupted again by another one of them, who was wearing dark eyeliner.

“He is not here yet, so make sure everything is done before he came.”

“He is hot tempered. He might just explode without anyone ticks him off.”

The last one in the gang who haven’t talk since the first said to her, with a sly smirk. He looks more like a bad boy with his facial structure and the blonde hair. Naeun has to think why and how they are allowed in school dressing like some kind of bratty boys.

“Neh.”

She responded shortly again, turning her heels to left for the office. Even though she wants to protest, saying that she doesn’t want to run errand for them, but who is she to do that. She might can’t graduate from high school if she happen to tick the bomb.

“Oh Naeun.”

The ever kind Professor greeted her when she came into his office.

“What brings you here.”

“I bring form for new student.”

He took the form from Naeun and looks at her before he smiles.

“You know this boy? Is he a boyfriend?”

“No.”

She responds quickly before letting out a sigh after.

“I was told to do so. And Choi Minho wants Lee Taemin to sit in the same class with him.”

“So, he demands me to do so?”

“They threat me that I will be in trouble if they don’t end up in the same class. Can you help me Prof?”

“I’ll do it. But just because I don’t see you in trouble.”

He pats her hair and signs the form, stamping it with his name. When Naeun wants to take back the form, Jinki shakes his head.

“I’ll bring it. the first class is mine right?”

She nods again.

“Now off you go. Eat some breakfast.”

“Thank you Prof.”

She smiles and Jinki smiles too in relief that he can see the rare sunshine on Naeun’s face. She spot that look even when she was walking around out of school.

“She can look pretty with a small amendment.”

“But she doesn’t want to.”

He responded to his wife when they saw her walking her dog at their neighborhood. Luna had been telling Jinki that she can help that girl but Jinki always receive a no from Naeun.

“Let her come to you by herself when she wants to okay.”

“Okay.”

The petite lady gave up after some time. Jinki shakes his head.

“Now you had become a slave to the guys too?”

He puts on his glasses and went to the café, just to check if Naeun took her breakfast today.

+++

“You.”

Naeun stops walking and turns around quickly. She saw a blonde haired guy standing with his hands inside his pocket, staring at her as if he will eats her alive. She swallows. She never saw this boy before.

“Maybe he is him?”

She gasps, her right hand covers .

The boy gestures her to come to him with a wriggle of his forefinger and he went to him, head hang low like usual.

“Son Naeun?”

She nods.

“Follow me.”

He said, turning around, went to a studio where the dancer of their school spend their time there. But strangely, when he opens the door, no one is present. He flicks the switch and soon the studio brightens.

“Sit.”

She did as she was told so and soon Taemin grabs a chair and sits in front of her. Naeun blinks furiously as the stranger; who keeps staring at her.

“Who am I?”

He asks, smiling now. She furrows. She is not in the mood to play guessing game. But she tried.

“Lee Taemin ssi?”

She added ssi just in case. He looks at her in somewhat in daze, before a laugh erupt from him.

“You don’t know me?”

She still spot the same look so he stands up, went to the table where the radio, video and speakers are located. Naeun waits silently; wondering what he is going to do. The song starts and he actually starts dancing.

Naeun bites her lips.

“What is he going to do?”

She thought while looking at him.

Taemin then stops dancing when he still not getting any response from the girl. He chuckles when he switch off the song, went to the chair and sat down.

“Still?”

She shakes her head.

“Okay. Maybe I changed a lot.”

He looks at her.

“Or we changed a lot.”

“Sorry but can you?”

“Yeoshin ah.”

He called her, now his hand holding hers. Naeun widens her eyes. Only one person calls her that and its.

“Tae Tae oppa?”

She calls a bit unsure but when the latter widens his smile, she knew she is right.

“Oh god.”

She exclaimed.

“You are so.”

She stops when she doesn’t get any word to describe him. Taemin looks calm but his hand went to her hair, sweeping it off from hiding her face.

“Why do you spot this look now?”

Naeun sighs.

“It’s a long story.”

She said but still feels warm. Taemin is still the Taemin she knows. Warm, nice and loves her? She is not confident on the last one though.

“Naeun ah. Do you still remember what we promise to each other?”

Naeun frowns. It’s not that she doesn’t remember, but is the promise still worth it on her part?

“I came to fulfill the promise.”

He said, caressing her cheek; despite her hair makes it difficult for him to do so.

“But oppa.”

“I love you. Still loving you even when I’m away. I don’t expect you to look like this when I came back but.”

He chuckles and holds her hand again.

“I still love you.”

His eyes were on her brown orbs and she saw the sincerity. He is so handsome but her? Her appearance doesn’t suit him.

“Let’s go out tomorrow. It’s our first official date. I’ll pick you up.”

He said, kissing the back of her hand before he walks out of the studio. Naeun have to sigh after few moment.

“Should I go?”

+++

“Naeun ah.”

Naeun bows to Luna and walks to her who was watering her plants.

“You are early today chagiya?”

“Deh Mrs. Lee. I don’t have extra class.”

“I see.”

The lovely lady response to her and turn off her tap.

“Come on in for a tea?”

“Sure Mrs. Lee.”

When they were inside, Luna serves her green tea and they seated on the living room, talking.

“A little makeover will do good to you sweetie.”

She said and Naeun suddenly interested in that topic when she answers her.

“Chinca Mrs. Lee?”

“Of course. We just need to straighten your hair and put on a light makeup. You are pretty. The hair is the important thing here. They cover your face.”

“Do I have to cut it?”

Luna grins.

“Do you want me to help you?”

Thinking of her date with Taemin tomorrow, Naeun smiles.

“Can you help me tomorrow Mrs. Lee?”

“Of course. I would love to.”

And they were set for Naeun’s makeover for tomorrow.

+++

Taemin chuckles when he puts on his shirt which brings his mother to ask him why. He just answers her with a shake of his head and did his hair.

“You are out to date right?”

His sister asks and he nods.

“Who? Did you found her already?”

She asks and Taemin grins wider.

“I’ll bring her home after the date. You will love her omma.”

He said, back hugging his mother then and kisses her on the cheek.

“I’m going.”

Taemin just need to drive for a few blocks away until he stops in front of Naeun’s house. He walks out of the car and press on the bell, waited with his hands tucked in his jeans pocket and expecting the nerdy girl who his friends call ugly to appear in front of him but instead, he saw goddess. The goddess that have the same smile as the Son Yeoshin he love.

“Naeun?”

He asks, eyes widens. Naeun nods, biting her lips in shyness.

“Do I look okay?”

She said, looking down at the simple pink dress that Luna suggest her to wear.

“Of course. I don’t expect this.”

He said, still with the smile that was pasted in his lips since a while ago.

“I should try to look good for you.”

She said the last word with red tint on her cheek, embarrassed to say something like that. Taemin shakes his head but he is pleased with her effort. She wants to look good for him which means she likes him too.

“I don’t mind what you look like.”

He started; move closer to her. He then caresses her hair and kisses her forehead.

“I will love you just the way you are.”

“Since we promised to love each other for eternity, I should make some effort to not make you look like a failure by dating a girl like me.”

“What is wrong with the girl like you?”

“I’m well known as the ugliest person in school.”

She said, shrugging. Taemin laughs.

“You are pretty. You just hide it. But I’m glad.”

“Waeyo?”

She asked; her expression changed as the curiousness hits her which he finds her cute.

“Because you want to look good for the only man in your life.”

He said and kisses her lips lightly. Naeun smiles on the kiss, holding on his hand that was holding on hers. He left her lips after few moment, smiling at her.

“So should we go for our date now?”

She just has to nod for an answer.

+++

“Guys and even girls will turn their head at you. In a good way of course.”

She remembers what Luna said yesterday when she ask if it’s okay for her to continue this look after that day. She walks timidly. Still with her head hang low. She was passing by the group of girl when suddenly someone puts an arm around her shoulder. She quickly looks at the person and was glad that it was Taemin.

“I was shocked.”

She complained, nose crinkles cutely. Taemin can’t help but kisses her cheek which makes Naeun widens her eyes.

“Yah Lee Taemin. Who is this chic?”

She heard Jonghyun asks Taemin and she has the need to swallow when he leans closer to both of them, wanting to have a good look on her.

“Oh. She seems new?”

He asks a bit unsure and his eyes rounded when he reads the name tag on her jacket.

“Son Naeun?”

He exclaimed and all of the guys in the group came to check on her.

“Wow, you are really Son Naeun?”

Minho asks, blinking his big eyes before he looks at Taemin who was looking at her with love.

“Man, you really found her.”

Key said, patting his arm.

“So, she sticks with her promise. That’s why the ugly look.”

Jonghyun reason, nodding his head in agreement of his logic.

“I don’t mind with any look though. I’m going to just accept her with open arms.”

“He told us that too. And we mock him a lot. Saying what if she looks like you. But turns out it’s you. The goddess he told us.”

Jonghyun said, laughing.

“That is the reason he ask where you can be find and want the studio to be empty. I thought he is going to make you cry. Who knows, this little brat is just cosplaying as a brat so that woman don’t like him.”

Minho stated, pushing Taemin’s shoulder with his.

Key who was not saying that much went to Naeun and stares at her face.

“You really don’t look like Miss Ugly when you dress like this.”

He said.

“I never knew a girl is willing ruining herself just for a childhood promise.”

“Son Yeoshin will.”

Taemin said proudly and Naeun smiles at that. Yeah, the ugly act, she puts it for Taemin. Now, the mask is been thrown away. She is going to be ugly for any other man but pretty for only Taemin.