What If- Jaehyo

Naeun One Shot Collections

 

“What if he is your own son?”

He stops walking down the stairs and waited to see if he heard it right.

“Yeobo.”

He heard his father’s soothing voice calls out his mother who he knows for sure was enraged for something he doesn’t know. He leans to the wall, trying to listen to the conversation and he can see them for a glimpse.

“What if he is your biological son? Will you let him chose his path as well?”

“Yeobo. Don’t differentiate the kids. I love Jaehyo like my own.”

“Liar.”

His mother screamed and soon he heard she cried. His father went to soothe her but his mother pushes his father away. Jaehyo thought he had seen it enough and he walks carefully back to his room. He lay down on the single bed, crossing one arm across his forehead; blinking a tear.

He was feeling so sad. His heart breaking for no one knows how painful it is. He can’t show it to anyone, sadly. He just weeps silently for some time before a text shown on his phone screen. He saw the name and quickly wipes his tears roughly; dialing her number.

“Naeun ah.”

“Op. Are you crying?”

She asks in a worried tone and he told her everything.

“Is your room locked?”

“No.”

He said after glancing.

“I’m going there.”

Jaehyo sat on the edge of the bed and when Naeun went in, she walks straight to him. He circles his hand around her back and hides his face on her stomach. Naeun hushed him and caresses his hair. She lets him cry his heart out.

“How did you know?”

“They were talking when I was on my way to the kitchen but I heard they argue and omma suddenly said I am not appa’s son.”

“Hush.”

She said, still caressing his hair when he cried more.

“You don’t suit crying face.”

She said, in calm voice then crouching down, gathering his face in her small hands.

“You know one thing, even though abeonim is not your appa, he loves you more than anything. You believe me right?”

He nods slightly, his crying subside. Naeun smiles in delight.

“I can accompany you to talk to them if you want to.”

“Is it fine if I talk about it Naeun ah. If I really am not appa’s son, will you still marry me?”

“What are you talking about?”

Said Naeun, frowning but still in kind and soothing voice she had.

“I love Jaehyo and I don’t care what your surname is. I’m marrying you for who you are. I don’t mind it. You will always belong to me, whether or not you are abeonim’s son.”

She stated and kisses his forehead.

“Do you want to sleep for a bit?”

“I don’t think I can sleep.”

“If that is the case, let’s go out for a walk. I’ll treat you to some coffee.”

He nods and let her took the jacket and puts it on him. Before they went out of his bedroom, he pulls her and hugs her dearly.

“I’m sorry that you have to see this side of me.”

She then pats his back and smiled.

“I’m glad I know all side of my fiancé oppa. So, don’t be sorry.”

He nods again, clasping her hand with his and walks out of his room.

“Wait, I’ll take my coat.”

He nods, waited outside of her door.

“Jaehyo ah.”

He turns and saw his father.

“Appa.”

He mutters, slight pain when he looks at him.

“Where are you going?”

He asks, smiling as he walks to him.

“Let’s go oppa.”

Naeun said when she comes out of the room but stops when she saw her future father in law and bows at him.

“Oh you are going out with Naeunnie?”

Jaehyo nods without answering anything and he saw his father nods.

“Don’t come home too late neh.”

“We are leaving now abeonim.”

She said with a smile and drags the daze Jaehyo with him. They walk in silent. No one is talking until Naeun break the silence.

“Wae?”

She asks when she heard him sighing every now and then.

“I can’t imagine it.”

“I know it’s difficult.”

She said, pulling him to settle on a bench; clasping his hand, leaning on his shoulder.

“But, we have to face it. It’s part of life.”

Jaehyo squeezes her hand and turns a bit to kiss her hair. Naeun had been living with them since their elementary days. They are not related but their fathers are best of friend. After Naeun’s father died with cancer, she stayed with them and when they finish their college, both were engaged. Naeun is the only person who he feels calm to be with and he too doesn’t know why. Maybe it’s fated. His and her live to be tangled with each other.

But when the wedding was nearing, he got to know about this sad truth which makes him lose the hype that he is going to marry the only person ever caught his heart. He was scared.

“Oppa.”

She called him when he still not talking. He opens his eyes and looks at her. He hums at her.

“Kenchana.”

“I’m fine Naeun ah.”

“Yeah right.”

She scoffs; but not in a bad way. He chuckles lowly and she took the chance to hugs his arm and leans on it.

“I know eomonim don’t prefer your decision. But you know abeonim and me will always support you.”

He sighs again and took her now cold hand due to the weather, intertwined it with his.

“Do opening up a cafe something bad?”

Naeun shakes her head.

“It’s never a bad thing oppa. But maybe eomonim wants the better for you.”

“Do I have to follow her path again?”

“It’s hard for me to say oppa. But you choose the best thing, what you are best at. So, it will be good for you.”

“You think so?”

Again, Naeun nods.

“I’ll help you. Let’s work together if you want to pursue it. Your dream I mean. And I love the image. On seeing my favourite man in apron, cooking delicious food for me.”

She grins and manage to makes him laughs. There, she is the only person who can bring back his smile. Jaehyo kisses the back of her hand and ruffles her hair.

“Gomawo. For making me feel better.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

She said, smiling brightly.

“Naeun ah.”

“Yeh oppa.”

“Should I talk to appa?”

“Do you think it’s needed?”

“I can’t pretend to not knowing anything anymore.”

“Okay. Let’s talk to abeonim. I’ll accompany you.”

“Thanks Naeun ah.”

“Kenchana. Now let’s go home? I’m freezing.”

Jaehyo chuckles at her cute tone and pecks her forehead.

“What about the coffee?”

“Let’s drink it on our way home.”

+++

They did talk to Jaehyo parents three days after that night and the whole family now know that he is not his father’s biological son.

Nothing change. Just like what Naeun had said. He still is loved by his “father”. He even said that Jaehyo is the reason he is this successful now.

“What are you staring at?”

Naeun asks as she flop beside him and frowns when she saw a bunch of girls customer.

“Are you staring at them?”

“Deh? Aniya. I just.”

He took her hand and caresses it; making her smile.

“I’m thinking of where should we spend our honeymoon.”

“Aishh oppa.”

She shyly whine in a cute way which he found adorable.

“Go and change your outfit. Let’s go for a last date as engaged couple. Since we are going to tie the knot in three days.”

“Gurae oppa.”

Naeun excitedly skips to the staff room and Jaehyo went to flip the open sign to close.

 


I’m sorry for the lacking of storyline and scenes in this story..
I’ll try writing better story next time.