Shoulders

The Boys

Author’s POV

Yoona and Kyuhyun have already arrived at Incheon Science High School, the venue of the choir competition, since three hours ago. Now, the two are sitting with the other audiences in the ball room of that school to see all the performances.

It’s the last performance. And their high school, Kyunggi High School, which the winner of last year competition is performing. Yoona is looking with her open mouth, while Kyuhyun is looking at his hoobaes seriously. When their hoobaes has finished their performance, Yoona and Kyuhyun gave standing ovations.

“They’ve given their best. As always!!” Yoona said, proudly.

“Yess well done, though the pianist as not good as me!” Kyuhyun uttered and still clapping.

Yoona patted Kyuhyun’s head! “Stop talking nonsense, Kyuhyun!!”

“Aisshhh I said the fact!” Kyuhyun his hair. “And I think the winner today is gonna be between our school and Whimoon High School”

“Why are you so pessimistic?”

“It’s not pessimism. Our school is good, but Whimoon also good too! So I bet that two schools is one of the top winners!”

“Whatever!” Yoona sat again. She took a box from her bag! “Let’s eat while wait for the winner announcement!”

Kyuhyun sat beside Yoona. He looked up in the box then see kimbap inside it. “You made it?”

“No. It’s made by my eomma!” Yoona grinned

“As expected!” Kyuhyun then ate one kimbap. “It’s so delicious. The food which made by your eomma is always the best!”

“I can cook too you know!”

“Really? I still remember the pudding that you’ve made before. It’s too sweet! I even couldn’t taste the chocolate! You should learn from your eomma so your future husband will be happy everytime he eats your food!” Kyuhyun said by taking another kimbap.

“Why did you care about my cooking ability? We won’t get married!” Yoona crossed her hands on her chest!

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows. “And who the hell who said that I want to marry you? I just said you should learn how to cook!”

Their arguments stopped when someone who passed in front of them suddenly called them. “Yoona? Kyuhyun?”

Yoona and Kyuhyun looked it up. A beautiful girl with short blonde hair and fairy skin is standing in front of them.

Yoona stood up then hug her tightly. “Taeyeon unnie!!! You’re here too.”

“Of course. I have to support our hoobaes!!!” Taeyeon hugged Yoona off, then high-5 with Kyuhyun.

Taeyeon was a member of choir club in Kyunggi High School too before. She’s one of the best singers in the choir team. Yoona closes to her.

“Nice to meet you again! How do you think about our school’s performance?!” Taeyeon asked.

“They great as always! But Kyuhyun said he’s better than the pianist!” Yoona showed her disgusting face.

“I said the truth! You agree with me right, Taeyeon?” Kyuhyun asked for Taeyeon’s agreement.

Taeyeon laughed. “You haven’t changed yet, Kyu. But I have to agree with you! You better than him, maybe he’s still just a freshman!Ahh…I have to go back. Someone is waiting for me!”

“Ehhhhh…your boyfriend, huh?” Yoona teased Taeyeon.

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. “Yeah..something like that!! Anyway you guys are still a lovely couple!”

“Aisshhh…Unnie, we’re not a couple!” Yoona said, convincing.

“So you two still unofficial?” Taeyeon teased Yoona back.

“UNNIE…!!!!” Yoona yelled, somehow it made her felt a little uneasy.

Kyuhyun responded calmly. “Taeyeon, you better run to your boyfriend before this female alligator will bite you!”

Yoona slapped Kyuhyu’s arm  which made Taeyeon laughed again.

“How cute! Okay… I’ll leave first! Pray for our school so that we can win for three times consecutively!!!” Taeyeon said while walked.

“Bye, Unnie!!!!” Yoona waved to Taeyeon, then looked at Kyuhyun. “Don’t you think it’s weird why all the people said we’re a couple?”

Kyuhyun sat again to continue eating kimbap. “It’s all because of you. You always around me.  That’s why they become suspicious”

“What??? You… Hey…hey…don’t eat all the kimbap..”

Yoona and Kyuhyun are fighting over the kimbap. They even don’t care with the people around who’s laughing at them.

 

30 minutes later….

“The third winner of National High School Choir Competition is Yeogang High School “

Yoona took breath deeply. She’s clinging on Kyuhyun’s arm tightly. One of her habits, if she feels nervous, she must hold something.

Kyuhyun whispered. “If the second winner is Whimoon, I believe our school is the first!!”

Yoona just nodded, she really doesn’t know what to say. Speechless.

“Our second winner of National High School Choir Competition is Whimoon High School. Congratulation!!”

Yoona and Kyuhyun look at each other. “We’ll win, right?” Yoona said softly.

“I hope so!”

“And now it’s the time that you’ve been waiting for. The first winner of this year National High School Choir Competition……” The presenter smiled widely.

Yoona closed her eyes, she even couldn’t see at the presenter on the stage. Her hand on Kyuhyun’s arm down slowly towards Kyuhyun’s hand. Both Kyuhyun and Yoona didn’t aware that they’re holding hands because they’re too focus what the presenter’s gonna say.

“And the winner is………… Congratulation for Kyunggi High School!!!!”

All the people in ball room are clapping. Kyuhyun lifted his arms up. Yoona closed her face with her both hands.

“We won!” Kyuhyun yelled on Yoona’s ear.

Yoona looked at Kyuhyun. Both are smiling proudly then hugging each other.

 

***

 

After had a little reunion with their sonsaengnim and friends who also came to support their hoobaes., Yoona and Kyuhyun are walking in Gyeongbu Railway now. They decided to go back to Seoul by train.

“I can’t believe so many people here too!!!” Kyuhyun sighed.

“At least it’s not as full as in subway station this morning!”

They kept walking. There is a boy behind them who’s running fast and bumped into Yoona. Yoona almost fell because she’s not ready to balance her body. Kyuhyun caught her so that she didn’t fall on the floor. The boy who’s just bumped Yoona only bowed to say sorry then running again.

Kyuhyun kept looking the running boy with his death glare. “What’s on that boy’s mind?”

“Kyuhyun, don’t worry, I’m okay!” Yoona tried to make Kyuhyun, who pissed off, to be calm.

Kyuhyun helped Yoona to stand. “Are you sure you okay? Aisshhh…why so many people had traveled today?”

Kyuhyun dragged Yoona to be in front of him. He put his hands on Yoona’s shoulders and held them tight.

“You walk first. I’ll walk behind you!” Kyuhyun whispered right in Yoona’s ear. “Come on!” He pushed Yoona to start walking.

Yoona startled. She walked slowly. Kyuhyun kept holding her shoulders, afraid someone will bump into her again. And with unknown reasons, Yoona couldn’t stop smiling. She often make secretly glance to her own shoulder, just to make sure Kyuhyun’s hand still hold it. Kyuhyun didn’t put his hands off Yoona’s shoulders even when they had already on the train and looking for their seats.

“Oh..it’s our seats!!!” Yoona chuckled. She threw her body on the seat beside the window. She breath deeply full of relief and looked outside the window.

Kyuhyun sat beside her. He took his phone then replying some texts from his friends. The train has already walked.

“Yoona, are you…….” Kyuhyun stopped saying when he saw Yoona has already fallen asleep. “Aish this girl!”

The train is passing the steep road that makes it slightly shaken. And it made Yoona’s head move on towards the window. But before Yoona’s head will hit the window, Kyuhyun quickly placed his hand on the window so that Yoona’s head only hit his hand. Kyuhyun dragged Yoona’s head slowly towards him, then leaned it on his shoulder.

“Aigooo..this sleepyhead is so heavy!” Kyuhyun looked at Yoona who’s sleeping on his shoulder then mess her hair.

 

***

Yoona’s POV

I opened my eyes. Oh where is it now? How long I’ve fallen asleep? I open my eyes wider when I realized that I’ve slept on Kyuhyun’s shoulders. Kyuhyun is also sleeping now. I can feel his head on top of my head.

The flashback played on my mind. When Kyuhyun saved me from the ert man. When Kyuhyun protected me so that no one will bump into me again. I can say he’s my hero today. I don’t know why, but thinking about it, makes me can’t stop smiling.

I whisper slowly. “Thank you, Kyuhyun!”

I close my eyes, try to sleep again while enjoying the warmth of Kyuhyun’s shoulder and his addicting perfume.