Chapter23 - Midnight Date

Guilty Pleasure
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

00:40

 

Midnight Date

 

"Have you found him?"

 

"Not yet. Go to his mother. He may have decided to go home"

 

I sigh.

 

"I'll find him, sunbae, don't worry about it"

 

My life is a real mess. I've realized a moment ago that other people live differently. Looking at those couples on the streets, holding hands and wandering around, it makes me wonder, why do I have to be a manager searching for someone who has nothing to do with me? Why when I can actually live like the others? I have lost my memory and this was a great opportunity to start all over and live well, buy yet I was doing what I was doing.

 

I stop thinking about nonsense and instead I try to call D.O again.

 

"Ahhh answer please" I'm filled with worry.

 

D.O has been gone missing for a few hours now and I think this is my fault, even though, I do not understand why he got so mad today. I tried to remember all that happened since yesterday. If I can only understand what got wrong.

 

"Was there something special.. between me and Kai?"

 

"No" D.O calmly answered. "I was his best friend. He loved a girl.. but that's not you"

 

It was kind of relieving when he said that.. but somehow I wished deep inside I didn't expect a different answer. I wish I didn't want to hear that we were together a year ago, before he dies like this.

 

I hit D.O hard, leaving his face with an expression of disbelief.

 

"Why did you hit me?" D.O stared at me, surprised.

 

"Yaa .. why would you leave the agency? Are you insane? After all that happened today. Medias will eat you alive, are you in your right mind?"

 

It took D.O a minute to comprehend what I've just said.. and when he opened his mouth.

 

"Yaa?!" he stared at me in disbelief, making my face flush.. I remember now, he's older than me.

 

"Mianhae..." he continued staring at me in his skeptical way "yo" I added, making it sound more formal.

 

D.O turned around and sat on one of the benches of the park. It was so sunny there regardless the cold weather. I hesitated whether I should sit next to him or not, so instead I formed an excuse in my head.

 

"Emm D.O..ssi.."

 

"Aish" he said annoyed "Don't turn me into a strict weirdo, it's not like this"

 

I smiled. Why was this sudden anger of him so funny?

 

"D.O... We should go back to the agency. I'll call the manager. Just stay here for a moment"

 

"First we have to talk" his face turned serious.

 

"Talk about..what?"

 

"What do you mean what, you wanted to know about Kai"

 

Oh.. It's not like I have forgotten.. but I knew the details already.

 

"I read about it" I said out loud, trying to keep my voice as stable as possible "How he..he died in the fire"

 

D.O took a deep breath ans slowly nodded.

 

"He had a fire accident, yeah. It was one night we have just finished practicing. It was late. I don't remember the exact hour.." D.O stared at me, but there was something hidden in his eyes..

 

"What is it?" 

 

"Well, as long as you've read it, I have nothing to add then. Don't search too much about it, it's all the same.. It's just sad how I wasn't the one to tell you about it first"

 

"It must be hard for you.. you were his best friend" I said after I didn't know what to reply.

 

D.O smiled.

 

"It's OK.. I mean it's been a year already."

 

How could it be Ok? Your best friend burned to death, and you can't even recognize him from all the scars the fire left on his face and body. His own mother couldn't recognize him. There were letters from fans, letters from his sister and mother, giving him a last farewell. It must have been so so hard.

 

"D.O-ya.."

 

"Don't say my name" D.O harshly interrupted me "if you are going to call the manager, call him"

 

"Mmm.. yes, just wait here for a minute"

 

I left him on the bench and ran to the closest market to buy a face mask. People should not recognize him, especially today. There were many masks, ranging from cute, to scary, to silly, to casual. 

 

"He's such a weirdo, aigoo.. what should I choose?" I picked the blackest mask I saw and headed back to the park.

 

****

 

"Here.. Take this. You can't be seen by others." 

 

D.O accepted it without a word and covered his face. 

 

"Yeoboseyo? We are at the national park, sunbae. Come pick us up"

 

I hung up and secretly wished D.O would offer me a seat. But he didn't. I don't know what I'm expecting aigoo.

 

"Shouldn't you be in the hospital still?" D.O's voice appeared underneath the mask.

 

"I shouldn't be, of course. Not after the latest scandal.. what do you think will happen to Lay ssi?"

 

I stared at him with worrisome. It was impossible for Lay to keep his image after this, unless the real killer was found. And it was about time the detectives find the real killer, this case has caused great harms not only to him, but to his group as well, to SM as well.

 

"Hey but.. Do you have any idea of who killed that girl?" I asked again, trying to form a conversation.

 

D.O shook his head.

 

"Not any at all? I mean.. maybe it's a person who wants to get a revenge on Lay ssi or something.. I mean.."

 

"What makes you think it's not Lay?" D.O suddenly asked, throwing me a glance. All I could see was his eyes, so I couldn't analyze what he may mean by that. 

 

"I don't think it's him.." I said with full confidence "I am best friends with Sehun, you may know.. Sehun said it's impossible for Lay to have killed someone."

 

"That's for the judge to decide" D.O's eyes were fixed on my face. I felt uncomfortable so I decided to change the topic. I didn't want to discuss anything that would make me uncomfortable more than I was already.

 

"Hey but Baekhyun said you can't go anywhere alone this month, no? Why did you even leave SM?"

 

D.O stood calm, looking more annoyed than ever.

 

"Mmm.. I have a question" I said, thinking of whether or not I actually want to ask him.

 

"The car is here" he said, his voice as cold as ice. It gave me goosebumps. The only conclusion a person could make about Do Kyungsoo was far from what the manager has described to me.. He was calm, OK, I kind of agreed to this, but.. He was such a serial killer, aigoooo, psycho. Fans themselves gave him this nickname, and it suited him so well.. He gave that vibe. And why didn't he even pretend to have recognized me? He picked me up with his car that night and then pretended not to know me?

 

D.O was walking toward the car already, so I followed his steps. 

 

SM was blocked by journalists, who were ready to eat us alive. All I could possibly think of is how is Lay going to go through all that when his innocence is proved?

 

"Manager-nim" a playful voice grabbed my attention.

 

"Oh, Baekhyun-ah"

 

"Are you fine now?" Baekhyun was concerned so I patted his shoulder.

 

"Don't worry about it.. I don't die easily" I smiled and he smiled back, filled with relief.

 

"Aish chincha, those antifans are just.. Anyways.. Let's get inside, I don't want to see those in front of me" he pointed at the group of reporters in front the entrance.

 

"Let's go.. How are the others? The news are shocking.." I asked, meanwhile remembering D.O was supposed to be here. "Hey. Where did D.O go?"

 

"He was dragged by manager hyung" Baek smirked "That's how love stories are ended here.. Survival at an entertainment agency is hard"

 

I opened the door to the studio.

 

"Love stories? Is D.O ssi dating?" I dared to ask.

 

Waaaaah!! The psycho has a girlfriend? Just what kind of girl would actually feel comfortable in his presence?

 

"You still don't get it? Why would he go to you then? Did he confess?" Baekhyun's smirk became dirtier and dirtier, I was forced to hit him.

 

"And if we're dating, what? Do you have anything to do with this?"

 

Baekhyun stopped walking and gaped at me.

 

"So you two are dating?" He raised his eyebrows, looking like a surprised lollipop flower boy.

 

"Why are you so concerned?" I asked jokingly "are you jealous?"

 

"I knew it" Baek murmured. "I felt something was wrong.. Hey does this even make sense? You know dating is banned here.. Why are you laughing?"

 

I laughed even more now.. His expression was priceless.. I'm so blessed to have you in my life, Baekhyun-ah. I can't imagine how we dated before but I expect it to have been a wonderful experience. Cheesy one too. And this little concern in my ex boyfriend voice was really funny.

 

"You actually believed me?" I asked, and entered the studio "I tricked you so easily, paboyaa."

 

"This wasn't funny" Baekhyun murmured, already smiling again, but suddenly my own smile has vanished.

 

The recording room door was opened by no other but Chen, on whose face the guilt was drawn like a painting. He made a few hesitant steps towards me.

 

"I'm sorry for what happened. It should have been me" he stared at the floor.

 

"Ya.. I told you it's not

Please log in to read the full chapter