Chapter12 - Escape

Guilty Pleasure
Please log in to read the full chapter

20:20

 

Escape

 

The vibration of his phone bothered him like a nasty fly, so he turned his phone to silent, emptying another glass of soju. Dizzy from the one shots he's had, Zhang Yixing lay back on the leather sofa of the hotel room, and shut his eyes tight, pressing on his beating temples.

 

No matter how much he drank, Lay's mind was as clear as the fact he has left EXO just a night ago. He took his phone and viewed the contacts. His thumb stopped at Kai's name, causing him to release a heavy sigh.

 

"Forgive me. I can't do this anymore, I'm leaving... I couldn't protect her"

 

Kai was the only one who understood how serious the situation they have sunk in, was. The rest were just blind, or pretending to be blind, while D.O was slipping between their fingers just like water. The lives he stole, and the fact he denied it. The fact that he killed a friend, could not let Lay alone. He remembered that night like it was yesterday.

 

It was a dark night and him and Kai were standing right next to the window, in the same hotel room. It was around 20:20. Kai didn't want to talk to him in the dorm, or any other place, except a hotel, where no one would bother them. Lay was really concerned that night. Something fishy was going on, and he could sense it in Kai's behavior. Kai's face was paler than a piece chock, which wasn't normal. Lay wasn't used to see him that pale.

 

"Lay" he said "there's something about D.o..he.."

 

"What is it?"

 

Kai swallowed several times, and went to the fridge for some water. When Lay followed him, and took the bottle from his hand, he noticed how frozen cold his hand was.

 

"You're not OK" he said to Kai and put a hand on his forehead "this won't do, you need a doctor"

 

"Leave it be" Kai answered "I'm dating a girl".

 

Lay smiled without intention.

 

"Did something happen?"

 

Kai closed his eyes and opened them, staring at nothing.

 

"I need you to be with her. Don't let her out of sight."

 

"What are you talking about.. She's your girl"

 

Kai held his wrist.

 

"What I'll tell you now, can you keep it between us?"

 

Lay nodded unknowingly, not even imagining how serious would the matter be.

 

"D.O... He's sick"

 

Before Lay says something about it, Kai continued.

 

"Yesterday at night..I was back from my date, decided to take a walk and call the manager later. I walked for around 30 minutes when I saw D.O's car. I'm sure it was his, he has stopped by a pharmacy, so I went inside. I found him there, and when he saw me he looked really surprised. I asked him what he was doing in a pharmacy. He said he has caught a cold, his voice sounded really bad"

 

"Is it serious? Does he need serious treatment?" Lay perfectly knew that for D.O, singing was life, everything. Not being able to sing would lead him to a big depression or even worse.

 

Kai shook his head.

 

"I don't know. I followed him outside, and asked him to take me home, since he's here already and I don't have my car."

 

"What's wrong with your car?" Lay interrupted.

 

"It's fine, but I was with the van, told the manager to drop me in the neighborhood."

 

"Hey manager hyung knows you're dating?"

 

Kai shook his head again.

 

"I didn't even tell him. You think it'll last if I do? I just told him I need air, and he let me go"

 

"Go on" Lay nodded.

 

"D.O tried to object, but in the end he agreed to give me a ride. While he was paying for his medicine I went to the car, but when I opened the door, a girl shocked me to death, she was sleeping on the front seat, so I hesitated to get in the car, even in the back seat. It was awkward, and now I've understood why D.O was acting like this.. The sudden feeling of uncertainty made me feel awkward."

 

Lay took the bottle of water, to keep his hands busy.

 

"So he's dating too? Are you guys all dating?"

 

He expected Kai to laugh but nothing happened.

 

"D.O came and insisted I sit in the back seat, so I did, still feeling uncomfortable. He told me he will drive to the dorm first and then he would

Please log in to read the full chapter