The Relation to Kim Tae Hyun

Mansae!

"What did you say?" Mi Yeon asked, staring at Seung Cheol.

"You knew Kim Tae Hyun, right?" He replied.

She suddenly rose to her feet and moved to leave the room. Before she could, Seung Cheol grabbed her arm and stopped her in her tracks.

"Tell me. You were his Mi Yeon, weren't you?"

Mi Yeon pushed him away with her other arm. He stumbled back and glared at her.

Hurriedly, she made her way out of the room and went looking for Na Ra. She found her sitting in a one of the couches watching the television. When she settled in next to her, she heard Seung Cheol's fast and heavy footsteps approaching her. She glanced behind her and saw him glaring at her. She also noticed the Nurses watching him carefully, as if ready for him to do something rash. Seung Cheol also noticed them watching and quickly tried to compose himself to looking neutral and somewhat calm.

Then, a bell rang and the patients stood up and shuffled off to an area behind the group therapy room. There was an opened area, with long tables. In front of the walls stood a food station, behind which a few women stood ready to serve food. As they entered, Mi Yeon felt Na Ra become tense.

There were a few Nurses who hustled the patients to line up and keep the peace.

As Mi Yeon joined the line, she glanced at the food and was not excited. She took a metal tray from the stack and went through the line, letting the ladies put whatever they wanted on her tray. Afterwards, she made her way over to a table near the wall and waited for Na Ra to join her. When she did, her tray was overfull. She slammed the tray down on the table and Mi Yeon swore she saw the food lift up and fall back into place. Mi Yeon stared at the mountain of food in comparison to her own pile. Then, she noticed Na Ra's pained expression. She understood how difficult times like these could be for someone suffering from Anorexia, and she empathized.

As Mi Yeon tasted the food and found that it wasn’t that bad, she noticed Na Ra pushing the food around with her fork. Then, over Na Ra's shoulder, she found Seung Cheol staring at her, while slowly eating his own food. His stare intensified when he saw her looking and the hairs on the back of her neck stood up.

When Mi Yeon finished her meal, she returned the tray and returned to sit with Na Ra, who still hadn't made any progress on her meal. While they sat there, the other patients began to disperse. The Nurses kept their eyes on Na Ra, ready to pounce on her as soon as everyone left.

When the room had emptied, two Nurses walked up to the table and held each of Na Ra's arms.

"Na Ra-ah, time to go," the one on her right said.

"Wait, where are you taking her?" Mi Yeon asked, getting worked up.

"It's alright, Mi Yeon-ah. This happens," Na Ra said, trying to reassure Mi Yeon. As she rose from her seat, another Nurse came and took the tray away. Mi Yeon watched as the Nurses walked Na Ra away, out of sight and away from the others.

When Mi Yeon returned to the sitting room, she took her seat in one of the chairs by the table and held her hands in her lap, concerned about Na Ra.

"She'll be fine."

Mi Yeon looked up to find Ji Hoon sitting across from her. This was the first time she got to look at him in the eye. He gave her a small smile and turned his gaze towards the television. She took in his look and noticed that he had what they called 'smiley eyes'. She couldn’t help but think how adorable he would look if he genuinely smiled happily. She wished that she would see it one day.

"Do you know where they took her?" Mi Yeon asked him.

Before Ji Hoon could answer, another boy took the third seat.

"They went to tube her." Vernon sat and flicked his hair out of his face.

"Tube her?"

Vernon nodded. "Since she didn’t eat, they need to give her nutrients somehow."

Mi Yeon nodded, finally understanding.

At the same time, Ji Hoon and Vernon's heads looked up and they became serious. Mi Yeon felt a presence behind her and knew exactly where her feeling of discomfort came from. She could almost sense his heart beat.

Slowly, he placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a light squeeze. Then, he bent down and whispered behind her neck.

"I need you to tell me about Kim Tae Hyun."

"Why?" Mi Yeon found herself saying.

"Because I knew him too. Better than anyone."

That made Mi Yeon snap her neck to look at Seung Cheol. He seemed taken aback by her sudden movement. Mi Yeon was glaring at him, as though she was going to attack him. "'Better than anyone'? What makes you think that?"

"I was his best friend!"

"I was his sister, you idiot!"

Seung Cheol's expression crumbled as he seemed to grow more confused as the seconds passed by. "But that doesn’t make sense. He always referred to you as "my Mi Yeon". He spoke about you like you were his girlfriend."

Mi Yeon chuckled, darkly. "Really? Last I checked we lived in the same house."

He stared at her, lost in his own thoughts.

"He was my twin brother. How dare you think you know him better than me."

Mi Yeon moved to leave the area. Now, other patients and Nurses became spectators.

"Why didn’t you help him?" Seung Cheol asked from behind her.

She stopped in her tracks, stricken by the question.

"Why didn’t you stop him?"

"The same reason why no one stopped us; we didn’t give them a chance to."

Seung Cheol became silenced by her response, understanding exactly what she meant. All the teens in the ward who attempted suicide knew what she meant: if you want to kill yourself, you don’t give people any option or information to stop you.