Welcome Home

Mansae!

"Eomma, it's me," Mi Yeon said into the intercom in front of her house. The gates unlocked and the housemaids greeted her with opened arms. They welcomed her as if they hadn't seen her in years, and she appreciated all the positive energy she got from them. They took her bags and led her inside.  

As she entered the front door, her mother greeted her and held her in her arms for about a minute. As the moved through the house, she noticed that nothing was changed and her brother's bedroom door was shut. The housemaid placed her belongings into her room and returned to their stations throughout the house. In her bedroom, Mi Yeon sat on her made-up bed and breathed in the familiar scent of her sheets and curtains. She looked around carefully at every item and then her eyes fell on her bathroom door. Her blood ran cold as she broke out in a cold sweat. The memories came flooding back and with them, the emotions. Her breathing changed and became irregular as she struggled to breath through . Desperate to escape, she ran through the bedroom door and into the hallway.  

Once she caught herself and steadied her breathing, she decided to greet her father for the night. She knew that he was in his study, working, as always. 

She knocked quietly and her father commanded her to enter.  

"I'm back, Father," she said, looking at the carpeted floor. 

"Okay. Get some sleep and tomorrow we will talk about what you'll be doing." 

She left quickly and quietly and headed back to her room. She avoided the bathroom at all costs and when she needed to use the bathroom, she would head into the hallway and use the communal one. 

 

The following morning, Mi Yeon checked her SNS and saw a friend request from Choi Seung Cheol. She immediately accepted and when he didn’t contact her, she left her room and headed for the kitchen or breakfast.  

She was told by the housemaids that her mother was summoned for breakfast by one of the wives of her father's business partners. Also, her father was called out to the office this morning to meet with a business associate. Their talk about her future would have to wait. 

When Mi Yeon sat at the counter, the maids brought her breakfast along with a tall glass of orange juice.  

Once her meal was over, she returned to her bedroom and found a message on her SNS from Seung Cheol. He had his GPS on and Mi Yeon realized that his family lived about 3 blocks away from her, so he was relatively close.  

Seung Cheol: Mi Yeon-ah! Anyeong! Hope you settled in well. Maybe we can meet up today? 

Mi Yeon: Anyeong. Sure, where should we meet? 

Seung Cheol: There is a park near Jang's Supermarket. Is that okay? 

Mi Yeon: Sure, I know where that is. When should we meet? 

Seung Cheol: In about an hour? 

Mi Yeon: Sure, see you then.