The First Session

Mansae!

Later that day, Mi Yeon was called for personal therapy. As she followed the Nurse down the hall, Seung Cheol glanced at her and for a second, they made eye contact, but he broke it. They took a right around the hall and the Nurse knocked on the door three times. When Doctor Kwon told her to enter, the Nurse left. 

Inside the room, the Doctor sat behind a tall, mahogany table with file cabinets behind him. In front of the desk was a large, inviting dark brown couch. It looked new and comfy. The room itself was rather small, but not small enough for her to feel claustrophobic. 

"Ah, Mi Yeon-ssi, please take a seat," Doctor Kwon offered, gesturing to the couch. He made his way from behind his desk to a single armchair that stood perpendicular to the couch.  

As they both took their respective seats, Mi Yeon watched Doctor Kwon pull out a pen from him shirt pocket. Once seated, he pulled out  a file and began skimming, getting ready for the session.  

Mi Yeon waited patiently for him to begin. 

"So, where should we begin?" He asked. 

Mi Yeon shrugged.  

"I heard there was an incident earlier between you and Seung Cheol?"  

Mi Yeon nodded and folded her hands in her lap, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.  

"I heard it was about your brother, Kim Tae Hyun? Why don’t we talk about him today?" 

"No!" Mi Yeon said suddenly.  

Doctor Kwon looked taken aback and began writing something in the file. "Alright, then how about we talk about why you were admitted to the hospital two days ago?" 

"I came in because I attempted to kill myself."  

"You seem very straight-forward about it." 

Mi Yeon nodded. "You have the file right there, so there isn't much to hide." 

"I disagree. Your file tells me of how you tried to kill yourself, but gives no insight as to why." 

Mi Yeon looked at him, waiting for him to continue. 

"Would you like to tell me how you did it, just for beginning's sake?" 

"I downed a bottle of prescription meds." 

Doctor Kwon nodded and scribbled something else. "Alright. Would you like to talk about your family." 

Mi Yeon shook her head and Doctor Kwon remained silent.  

After what seemed like hours of silence, a timer went off and Doctor Kwon stood up. 

"I'm afraid that’s all the time we have for today. I'll see you tomorrow." 

Mi Yeon took that as her cue to leave. Just as she reached the door, Doctor Kwon spoke up. 

"Mi Yeon-ssi. It's great that you can admit what you did. That means you might get out of here faster." He gave her a reassuring smile and allowed her to leave. 

Once outside, she found Na Ra waiting to enter. She gave her a quick hug before leaving her. She was glad that Na Ra didn’t seem too fazed by the tubing after lunch. She couldn’t bear to imagine what that felt like, but she wanted to help her roommate out as much as possible while she was there.