Good Start, Sour Ending

Mansae!

Mi Yeon glanced around from her seat at the other customers in the restaurant. They were mainly couples who fed each other and smiled happily. When Seung Cheol returned to the seat, he placed a tall bowl of pattbingsu in front of her and smiled enthusiastically. Before Mi Yeon could ask for a spoon, he took a scoop and raised it to . She blushed at his sweetness and opened . When the icey spoonful touched her tongue, the milkiness of it hit her and the sugar made her smile. She took the spoon from his hand and proceeded to feed him in a spoonful as well. He gladly accepted and took the other spoon that he placed on the other side of the bowl.  

They ate in silence, stopping every now and then to comment about someone leaving or entering. The customers looked at them, recognizing them as students, but not approaching them.  

When the bowl was emptied, Seung Cheol pulled her to her feet and the two of them continued to stroll through the streets of the city. The city lights made them feel more excited than tired. There were women who were getting groceries, college students heading to the clubs and friends and work associates who were out for a night of drinking and snacking. The streets were more alive than ever and Mi Yeon clung to Seung Cheol's side excitedly.  

"Where are we heading?" Mi Yeon asked. 

"To see a friend. I haven't seen him in a while." 

Mi Yeon nodded and let him pull her wherever he wanted.  

Soon enough, they arrived at a Chinese restaurant and entered confidently. One of the waiters welcomed them automatically before he saw Seung Cheol. Then, his expression lightened and he rushed over to hug his friend. Once their embrace was over, the waiter looked at Mi Yeon, curious.  

"You seem familiar to me," he said.  

"Oh, Mi Yeon, this is my friend from High School, Kim Dae Sung."  

Mi Yeon greeted him and smiled politely.  

"It's nice to meet you." 

"You'll never believe this, but she's Tae Hyun's twin sister," Seung Cheol added. 

Dae Sung's eyes widened.  

"Were you a friend of my brother's as well?"  

He nodded, somber.  

Seung Cheol led Mi Yeon to a table near the window as Dae Sung left to get back to work. 

"Seems like my brother had a lot of friends," Mi Yeon said after she sat down. 

"More than you think," Seung Cheol replied.  

Mi Yeon looked out onto the street, watching the mix of people.  

"I still don’t know why you two didn’t want anyone knowing about the fact that you had a twin." 

Mi Yeon smiled and ignored the comment. She didn’t want to get into that right now.  

Soon enough, Dae Sung joined them at the table, looking exhausted from the constant work.  

"I'm sorry for your loss," he told Mi Yeon. 

"Same here," she replied, offering him a gentle smile.  

"So, why are the two of you here together?" He asked, changing the topic.  

"Because we're sort of romantically involved," Seung Cheol informed. 

"Seriously?!" 

"Seriously." 

"Deabak." 

"Right?"  

Mi Yeon watched as they began to talk about Dae Sung's work and Seung Cheol's time in the Ward. Mi Yeon was grateful that he left her out of the story. She didn’t want everyone knowing that she was there, especially when she was there for such a short time.  

The chatter didn’t last long as Dae Sung had to keep getting back to work. Eventually, they left him to work and made their back home. Seung Cheol's mother had called him and after he assured her that he was safe and sound and on his way back home, he placed his arm around Mi Yeon's shoulders and walked like that till they arrived at her front gate.  

Outside the gates, he gave her a tight hug and before releasing her completely, he brought her face to his and kissed her sincerely on this lips. Their lips parted and the kiss lengthened. Mi Yeon leaned against the wall and placed her hands on either side of his neck, while he placed his hands on her hips. The kiss decreased in stamina as they both needed to breathe. As they slowed down, it became a stream of pecks instead on constant flow. It was still cute and Mi Yeon felt his smile against her lips.  

"Do I have to leave?" He whispered.  

Mi Yeon shook her head and rested her head against his chest. 

Suddenly, the gate pushed open and her father appeared, enraged. When they saw him, they separated immediately. But, it was too late; her father had spotted them.  

"This is what you do when you come back home?" He yelled. "Who the hell is this?" He continued, pointing at Seung Cheol. 

"Father, please calm down. This is Choi Seung Cheol. He was a friend of Tae Hyun's." 

By the mention of his son's name, her father's eyes widened. 

"What-what are you doing with him then?" He stuttered. 

"We met recently and became close. He lives around here. They're good people." 

Her father cleared his throat. "Get inside," he commanded. 

"Father-." 

"Now!" 

She looked at Seung Cheol one last time before obeying her father. Once the gates were shut, her father rushed into the house, turning his back on his daughter. He ordered the guards to lock the gates for the night and left his daughter alone in the night air.