College and the Chauffeur

Mansae!

That weekend, the Korea University Dean, Kim Suk Jin, visited their house for dinner. Her father led him over to their large dinner table and introduced Mi Yeon to him. Playing the perfect daughter, Mi Yeon bowed 90 degrees and smiled brightly. To be honest, she wanted to make a good impression in order to go to University because the alternative was going to work for her father. University life seemed much more inviting. 

As the housemaids delivered the several dishes to the family, Kim Suk Jin kept smiling at her.  

"Please, enjoy," her father said, smiling politely at the guest.  

When everyone dug in to the meal, Mi Yeon's mother remained quiet and seemed to be there to provide the illusion that they were a perfect family.  

"Didn’t you have two children?" The Dean asked.  

Mi Yeon froze, spoon in mid-air. She glanced at her father, to gage his reaction. He seemed unfazed by the question. 

"He's out of town right now," her father answered.  

Mi Yeon glared at her father, amazed that he could lie so easily about something so serious. She wondered yet again if he felt any remorse at the loss of his only son.  

"Mi Yeon-ah, what do you want to study?" The Dean asked. 

"I would like to go into The Arts." 

The Den nodded, smiling, pleased with her answer. Her father, on the other hand, seemed indifferent at her answer. She knew that if she had answered something like "Languages" or "English" he would have voiced his disappointment.  

After the meal was over, the maids brought tea to the table. Mi Yeon opted not to have any. Instead, she sat still, waiting for the minutes to tick by.  

"So, Dean Kim, do you think our Mi Yeon will be able to attend the upcoming semester?" Her father asked. 

"I think she can expect a letter in the mail very soon," he replied, smiling.  

When the evening was finally over, Mi Yeon and her father walked Dean Kim to the front gates. Mi Yeon's smiled never faltered. She bowed again to send him off. Once he left the compound, her smile disappeared and she hurried inside, heading to the safe recluse of her room. 

In her room, she changed into something more sleep-friendly and removed the subtle make-up she had on. After, she lay down on her bed and hooked up her headphones to her phone and relaxed to the soothing, addictive music of Zion. T and San E.  

 

--- 

The following morning, Mi Yeon headed into the kitchen to find a young man in his 20's at the table sipping tea. She was well aware that she was not dressed to entertain guests, so she tried to be polite as possible. The housemaids saw her and went to fetch her breakfast. 

She bowed slightly at the stranger and sat opposite him. He wore a tidy, white dress shirt over which he wore a black jacket. All he was missing was a sleek black tie, but without it, he looked much younger. 

"Excuse me, but who are you?" She asked, hesitantly.  

He perked up and responded, "I'm your new driver. Your father assigned me this morning." 

"Driver? I don’t need a driver." 

"Your father thinks differently. He does not want you taking public transportation to the College compound." 

Mi Yeah exhaled, frustrated. "How old are you anyway?"  

"I'm 22. Right out of College." 

Mi Yeon nodded, and looked away from him.  

"Please feel free to ask me any favors. I am at your disposal." 

The maids brought her breakfast and placed a jug of juice next to her glass. Hurriedly, the Driver stood up and poured the juice for her. She nodded, thanking him.  

"How often do you have to be around me?"she asked. 

"Your father told me I should always be available to you."  

"Well, what's your name then? Might as well get acquainted." 

"Won Woo, Jeon Won Woo." 

Mi Yeon nodded and continued eating her breakfast. "So, what will you do when I don’t need you?" 

"Wait." 

She sighed and looked at him. As she was about to say something, her phone buzzed next to her. On the screen, Seung Cheol's name appeared. She smiled instantly and answered the call. 

"Yoboseyo?" She answered sweetly.  

"Mi Yeon-ah, are you busy today?" Seung Cheol asked. 

She glanced at Won Woo and decided that she shouldn’t meet anyone with him around as he would be more likely to report her meetings to her father.  

She told Seung Cheol that she had some plans today and wouldn’t be able to meet up with him today. He understood and hung up. Mi Yeon felt bad when she heard his disappointed tone, but she needed to avoid him with this new Driver. 

When she hung up, Won Woo stared at her as though waiting for instructions.  

"Where would you like to go today?" He asked, smiling politely.  

"Nowhere yet." 

Won Woo understood, realizing that she had just lied to her friend on the phone. "You seemed happy from the call. Was it someone close to you?" 

Mi Yeon sighed. "Maybe we shouldn't pry too much into each other's private lives." 

She stood up suddenly and made her way back to her room, leaving Won Woo at the table, dumbfounded.