A Reassuring Letter

Mansae!

The following morning, Mi Yeon sat in the eatery with Na Ra, Ji Hoon, Vernon and the now-changed Seung Cheol. The last one seemed to be smiling a lot more recently, and Mi Yeon liked the change.  

"So, this afternoon our parents are allowed to come visit us," Ji Hoon said. He seemed to hope that his father wouldn't show up. 

Vernon nodded, empathizing with his friend. "Are you parents coming?" Vernon asked the girls. 

"My mom is coming, but my dad has to work," Na Ra said, separating the food on her tray. 

"Mi Yeon-ah?" Vernon asked. Over the past few encounters, they decided to drop the honorifics and everyone felt more comfortable.  

"I don’t think so. I haven't heard anything about them coming." 

"Do you wanna pretend to be my girlfriend so my dad won't be so questionnable?" Ji Hoon begged. 

"Sure, if it helps. Even though, I'm not sure if he'd be happy about you having a girlfriend in a mental institution," Mi Yeon joked 

"Yah! Why would she pretend to be your girlfriend?" Seung Cheol suddenly exclaimed.  

All eyes fell on him, shocked. 

"Why, want her to be yours instead?" Na Ra teased.  

Seung Cheol coughed and averted his eyes. Mi Yeon looked at him, smiling playfully at his response.  

While they chatted about other things, a Nurse appeared in the hallway. 

"Kim Mi Yeon! There's a letter for you in the office. Collect after breakfast." Then, the Nurse left and the murmuring continued. 

"A letter?" Ji Hoon asked, intrigued. 

Mi Yeon shrugged and continued eating.  

 

After the meal, Seung Cheol hurried along beside her, as she headed to the office. She didn’t question him, but rather enjoyed his presence.  

When the Nurse saw her, she immediately handed her the letter. On the front of the envelope, her name was handwritten. Something about the letter told her that she needed to be alone to read Iit, away from prying eyes.  

She glanced at Seung Cheol. "I think I need to read this in my room." 

"Is it from your boyfriend or something?" He teased. 

Mi Yeon shook her head and retreated to her room.  

Once alone, she opened the envelope and the letter inside. She was glad to see that it was handwritten. 

"Mi Yeon-ah, 

It's your mother. I am so sorry that you have to be away from home for so long. I miss you and I would love for you to come home as soon as possible. But, I've been hiding something from you. There was a reason why I chose Chilyo Institute for your treatment. I don’t know if you know this, but Tae Hyun had a friend called Seung Cheol. I heard that he is also there. I sent you there because I thought meeting him would help you deal with Tae Hyun's death. I never met the boy, but he seems nice. I hope you don’t hold it against me that I didn’t tell you.  

Also, I am not able to come visit you this evening; your father won't let me. 

I hope you get better soon and can use Seung Cheol to cope with your brother's passing. Also, try to help him. Losing a close friend can't be easy.  

Love always 

Mom." 

Mi Yeon held the letter to her heart when she finished reading it. She missed her mother deeply and wanted to be with her in their home. Thinking that her mother chose this specific place to send her because of Seung Cheol made her love her mother even more as it meant that she wanted her to get real help, outside of the realm of Doctors and medications. 

She also thought about helping Seung Cheol with his issues, but seeing as she didn’t need to be there, as Doctor Kwon pointed out, she wanted to leave before the week ended.  

Out in the hallway, the bell rang for group therapy and Mi Yeon quickly placed the letter under her belongings before heading out. She decided to tell her friends about the release form later that day.