New Friends

Mansae!

The following morning, Mi Yeon was awakened by Nurse Kang who opened every door and rang a church bell exactly five times. Na Ra grew accustomed to it and was awake and dressed before Mi Yeon even got up.  

Outside, the patients headed to the eatery for breakfast. After Mi Yeon got her meal and took her seat with Na Ra, one of the younger nurses came up to their table.  

"Mi Yeon-ssi, there is a message for you by the front desk. Check it after you finish breakfast." 

Mi Yeon nodded and watched the Nurse leave, thinking about the message.  

From across the room, she felt Seung Cheol's gaze on her, but she refused to look at him. Then, a tray slammed next to her, causing her to jump. She turned to her left and found Ji Hoon settling in next to her. He smiled warmly and began eating. Mi Yeon, confused, continued to look from him to Na Ra, giving her questioning looks. As Na Ra shook her head, Vernon appeared and took the seat to Mi Yeon's right. 

"Don’t mind us," Vernon started. "We needed a change of scenery." 

Ji Hoon nodded as he chewed.  

Mi Yeon glanced at Seung Cheol at last and found him sitting alone. He met her gaze and tried to hold it, but she turned away. 

"I thought you guys would prefer to sit with Seung Cheol," Mi Yeon said. 

Vernon shook his head and met her gaze. "We would, but he's been on edge since you came in yesterday. And, after he made you cry last night, we're nervous around him." 

"He didn’t even apologize to you," Ji Hoon added. 

Na Ra nodded, understanding the situation. Last night, when they gathered in their room, Na Ra found her roommate in tears and soon enough, Mi Yeon told her everything.  

 

After the meal, Mi Yeon headed to get the message from the front desk. She greeted the Nurse from earlier and she received a brown envelope. It was the size that contained important documents. Mi Yeon took it and went to her room.  

She emptied the contents on her bed and saw that it was release papers from The Chilyo Institute. At the bottom of the page, she saw her Father's signature. Below that, was an empty space for her to sign. Being confused, she returned to the front desk, paper in hand. 

"What does this mean?" She asked Nurse Kang, who sat reading a romance novel. 

She stood up and looked at the paper, inspecting it. "It looks like a release form; something to allow you to be removed from here." 

"But why? Why would my father want me to be released?" 

Nurse Kang shrugged and told her to call her father after group therapy.  

Mi Yeon returned to her room and pondered over the page. The only reason she could think of as to why her father would want her to leave was that her being there was an embarrassment and could affect his reputation. As her father had a highly successful construction company, it would reflect badly on him if his daughter were in a mental facility.  

After an hour, a bell rang, signaling group therapy time. Mi Yeon made her way over to the room, with Na Ra joining her.  

As they took their seats, Mi Yeon kept to herself, still in thought. She felt Seung Cheol staring at her, but she couldn’t think about him right now.  

When Doctor Kwon entered, he noticed Mi Yeon's worried expression, but quickly moved on to the therapy. "Ok everyone. Today, we'll be talking about our families." 

Most of the patients scoffed and mumbled complaints.  

"My father always made fun of me because I didn’t look manly enough," Ji Hoon suddenly said out loud. The room went silent as everyone turned their focus to him. 

"And how did that make you feel, Ji Hoon-ah?" Doctor Kwon inquired. 

"Worthless and like I was a disappointment." 

Doctor Kwon nodded and asked someone else. "Seung Cheol-ah, how did your parents react when you tried to kill yourself?" 

Seung Cheol's glare intensified. "They kept asking why I did it." 

"Why did you do it?" 

The patients began to murmur. It was odd for the Doctor to ask such a direct question outside of personal therapy. Seung Cheol was also taken aback. However, he seemed to make up his mind on the answer and glanced at Mi Yeon across the room.  

"I did it because I kept blaming myself for my best friend's suicide." 

"Your best friend also committed suicide?" Doctor Kwon asked. 

Seung Cheol nodded. "I felt so useless and I wanted to stop feeling altogether." 

Mi Yeon maintained his gaze as her eyes began tearing up. As Doctor Kwon went on to talk about loss and dealing with feelings of despair, Mi Yeon looked out the window, trying to force herself to not cry in front of everyone.