The Letter

Mansae!

That night, when Mi Yeon was about to lay down to get some sleep for the day ahead, she recalled what Seung Cheol told her while they were shopping; that Tae Hyun had left something for her in a place that only she knew of. Thinking hard, she tried to figure out where that could be. When she was about to give up, she recalled a memory from their childhood when they were hiding in her room and they discovered a loose board in the ceiling.  

Mi Yeon rushed to her feet and stood up on her bed. Stretching, she pushed the square board up and it gave in with ease. She pushed it onto the adjacent one and placed a hand cautiously into the darkness. She patted the area, only receiving a dusty hand in return. Once again, right when she was about to give up, her hand made contact with a thick piece of paper. She pulled at it and brought it out. It wasn’t just a piece of paper; the thickness came from it being folded into quarters.  

She unfolded the dusty piece of paper and gasped as she noticed her brother's handwriting. Her legs gave out and she sat cross-legged on her bed. She took a deep breath and readied herself to read the contents. 

 

My dearest Mi Yeon, 

If you are reading this, then it means that I have passed on. I want you to know that you had nothing to do with this decision. In fact, you were the light to my darkness, you always brought me joy during my most devastating moments. However, this time, I am afraid that the darkness has won and I wasn’t as strong as you are. I am truly sorry that I have to leave you alone in the world.  

I leave all of my physical belongings to you, including my savings. I hope that you find your path in life and follow your heart, no matter where it may lead you. You deserve all the great things that life has to offer.  

There is one thing I wish for you to do for me. I have a close friend, Choi Seung Cheol. I want you to find him and explain that he is also not at fault for my choice. He was my best friend and made me feel accepted in the world. I also wish that the two can get to know each other, because I know you will become the best of friends. I had other friends, but he was the most important. To him, I leave my PC games. He always envied me for having them, so I want him to try to beat my high scores. 

To mother, tell her that I appreciate all the sacrifices that she's made for us over the years. To Father, tell him he should spend more time with the family and not separate himself from us when he comes home. 

Mi Yeon-ah, I want you to be happy, most of all. We received the same bad news, but I was the only one to give up entirely. You are my other half and you meant the most to me out of everyone in the world. Do what you want and be true to yourself. Don't give up like me and try to find your own light in the darkness; someone who can give you hope when you are at your worst.  

I love you, my dearest sister.  

Anyeong 

 

Mi Yeon gripped the page tight to her chest and her tears flowed non-stop. His words meant so much to her. She thought that her lasting impression of him would be finding his lifeless body, but now she had his handwritten words. Her heart was in pain, but as she re-read the note over and over, she found comfort and reconciliation with his loss. 

She fell asleep with a tear-stricken face and the page next to her. The next day, she would tell her parents her brother's wishes for them. Now, she needed them for her own personal repair.