We're Leaving Together

Mansae!

After Mi Yeon watched the patients interacting with their parents, it was easy to understand why so many children's problems stemmed from their parents. Ji Hoon's father showed up and belittled him the entire time, never stopping even when the Nurses asked him to lower his voice. When Vernon's parents arrived, they spoke in English the entire time, and Vernon looked very self-conscious about it. Mi Yeon suspected that Vernon's anxiety problems came from him being watched and judged by others because he was a foreigner.  

When Mi Yeon saw Seung Cheol's parents, they looked familiar to her. It took her a while to remember them from a time when her brother's school had their annual Sport's Day and the parents were encouraged to assist. Back then, she kept to herself and most of the time, she ended up talking to the parents at the various stands. Now, as she saw Seung Cheol's parents, she avoided them, embarrassed by where she was.  

"Mi Yeon-ah?" A voice called. 

She turned to see her father, standing stiffly in the hallway. It was almost time for the visiting hours to end and the majority of the parents had already left. In the meeting room, there was only Seung Cheol with his parents. Mi Yeon directed her father to another table, behind Seung Cheol's.  

"Have you decided on what you're going to do with the form?" Her father asked as soon as he had settled into the chair. 

Mi Yeah took a breath and looked at her father. "I'll sign it." 

Her father smiled, pleased with her decision. "So, you should be home by the end of the week." 

Mi Yeon nodded, glad that her father wasn’t talking loudly enough for Seung Cheol and his family to hear. However, the other table was speaking rather loudly. 

"The Doctor told me you can leave as early as tomorrow," his mother said. 

"Yes, he said you've made a lot of progress and can receive private therapy outside," his father added. 

"Yes, I want to leave as soon as possible," Seung Cheol agreed. 

"Mi Yeon-ah," her father said, bringing back her attention to him. 

"Yes, Father?" 

"What do you plan to do after you leave here? You can't just stay home all day." 

She thought how ridiculous her father was; it had only been a few days since shed been admitted to the hospital for attempting suicide, yet he wanted to know where her life was headed. 

"I suppose I can find you a position in the company. You were always good with customers and the staff," her father contemplated.  

Mi Yeon nodded, keeping her angsty thoughts to herself.  

Behind her, Seung Cheol and his family stood up and left the room. Not five minutes later, her father left the institution and Mi Yeon found herself in the eatery for dinner. After a little while, she was joined by Ji Hoon, Vernon, Na Ra and Seung Cheol, all of whom sighed as they sat. Clearly, the visiting time had affected them. 

"Everyone, I have some news," Seung Cheol suddenly said. 

All eyes turned to him, waiting. 

"Tomorrow evening, I'm leaving the Ward."  

"Really? That’s awesome!" Ji Hoon excalimed, truly happy for his friend.  

The other members congratulated him and continued eating. All, except Mi Yeon. She turned to the group and knew she had to tell them now. 

"Um," she began. "I'm also being released tomorrow evening." 

"What? But you just got here," Vernon said, somewhat envious. 

"Is that true?" Seung Cheol asked.  

Mi Yeon nodded, with her head down. 

"Whoa, we're losing two people in one go," Na Ra said, bitter. She patted Mi Yeon's hand and gave her a reassuring smile.  

 

After dinner, Seung Cheol ran up to her in the hallway, pulling her aside to talk in private.  

"What's up?" Mi Yeon asked, curious about the sudden privacy. 

Rather than answer her, he embraced her in his arms. He hugged her close to him and soon enough, Mi Yeon found herself placing her arms around his enter. The sudden touch seems comfortable and relaxing.  

"I'm glad you're getting out of here," Seung Cheol whispered as he bent his head to her ear.  

"Same here," Mi Yeon replied. 

Seung Cheol pulled away but kept his hands on her shoulders. Slowly, he brought his left hand to her face and tilted her head to look at him. Mi Yeon didn’t stop him; she waited to see what happened next.  

He caressed her cheek bone with his thumb as he looked into her eyes. He began to bend towards her, bringing their lips closer together. In an instant, their lips connected and Mi Yeon closed her eyes on instinct. After the initial touch, Seung Cheol separated her lips with his own and the kiss became more passionate. Mi Yeon brought her hand up to his neck and touched the small hairs at the top of his neck, admiring how soft they were.  

After a full minute of kissing, they broke apart and breathed heavily. Mi Yeon placed her head on his chest, gasping for air. Seung Cheol pulled her close to him and rested his head above hers. When she pulled away, Seung Cheol was smiling at her. She loved his smile, it was immature yet inviting and made her feel content.  

Behind them, a Nurse passed and, instead of accusing them, she told them to return to their rooms for the night. 

"I'll see you tomorrow?" He asked before she entered her room. 

Mi Yeon nodded and felt genuinely happy that she had something to look forward to the next day.