Making Last-Minute Changes

Mansae!

The park was filled with children from the neighborhood, all taking in their last few days before the school year began. Mi Yeon smiled at she saw the children playing care-free. She had arrived first, barely managing to convince Won Woo that she was just going to get some air. She took a spot on the bench where they sat together the first time.

"Hey," Seung Cheol greeted, taking the seat next to her.

She greeted him back, smiling politely. After a while, Mi Yeon asked, "Your classes begin next week too?"

He nodded.

"How far away is your school?"

"It's in the next city over here, so it takes about 1 hour 30 minutes by Metro."

"That's a long time."

He nodded again. "But it's a straight ride. I don’t have to transfer at any stops."

"Why not just stay in the dorms?"

"My parents wanna keep an eye on me." He smirked.

Mi Yeon understood. She also wanted to stay in the dorms, but her father didn’t want to pay extra and her mother preferred that she stay at home. She conceded, only giving in because when she considered not having the housemaid's food, she knew she would regret it.

"I was thinking of having another dinner with the group," Seung Cheol said, bringing her away from her thoughts. "I thought we could have it over by Vernon's house."

"Wouldn’t he feel self-conscious about his parents?"

"I think he's okay with it. Plus, we all know a little English, so maybe we can show him that we're comfortable around them and that can help him."

Mi Yeon nodded, and agreed to the dinner.

They spoke a while longer before Won Woo was spotted in the distance. Mi Yeon got up suddenly and said she had to leave, promising to chat later.

She hurried over to Won Woo, catching and directing him away from Seung Cheol's direction.

---

Vernon: Sure, if you guys wanna come over, sure. If you really want to.

Na Ra: Of course we do. It'd be great to see them outside of Chilyo.

Seung Cheol: So how about this Saturday? It's close, but it'll be right before everyone heads off to do their own stuff.

Ji Hoon: That's good with me.

Vernon: Okay, sure.

Mi Yeon: Great, this Saturday then :)

Mi Yeon closed her laptop after the conversation was over. Her mother called her for dinner.

When she arrived at the dinner, Won Woo was in the seat next to hers.

Overcoming her shock, she took her seat and waited in silence as the housemaids finished placing the dishes on the table. Next to her, Won Woo sat upright with his hands on his lap, maintaining his professionalism. When her father joined to table, he looked at Won Woo and smiled warmly.

"You can relax and eat, Won Woo. You're a guest tonight."

Won Woo bowed his head in respect and picked up his chopsticks, loosening his posture.

After a short while, her father spoke again. "Won Woo, starting next week, I want you to come work for me at my company."

Mi Yeon looked at her father. "I thought he was supposed to be taking me to school?"

"You can find your own way," her father snapped.

Won Woo looked from Mi Yeon to her father. "I would be honored, Sir."

Her father smiled, content. Everyone returned to their meal. Mi Yeon kept her face on her meal and, even though she could feel Won Woo's glances, she avoided him. She liked that he was getting a chance to get into the business, but she liked him better as a Driver, that way she could see him everyday.