The Last Day

Mansae!

"Well, everything seems to be in order," Nurse Kang said after looking through Mi Yeon's signed documents.  "You can leave later this afternoon after you meet with Doctor Kwon." 
Mi Yeon thanked her and went to meet Na Ra in the television room.  

Ji Hoon and Vernon soon joined them. 

"Mi Yeon-ah, what time do you think you'll be leaving?" Ji Hoon asked. 

"Probably around the same time as Seung Cheol." 

"Speaking of, where is he?" Na Ra asked.  

They looked around but he was nowhere near.  

After 20 minutes of chatting and commenting on the television show, Seung Cheol approached them. 

"Mi Yeon-ah, Doctor Kwon wants to see you," he informed her.  

Mi Yeon stood up and Seung Cheol took her seat. As she passed her, he touched her arm before sitting. It was a simple gesture but it made Mi Yeon's heart flutter.  

She proceeded to the Doctor's office and entered after knocking. 

"Ah, Mi Yeon-ssi. Please take a seat." 

Doctor Kwon held her file in his hands as he took his usual seat.  

"I see you're leaving today. Are you excited?" 

Mi Yeon shook her head. "I don’t have much to go back to besides my mother." 

"What about your father?" 

"He doesn’t really help. He's putting me to work in his company." 

"That could be good; it could give you a chance to shift your focus and get on track with your life." 

Mi Yeon nodded, still not convinced. 

"Is there something else you're not eager to face at home?" 

She knew what she was really avoiding. She did not want to go back to a  home where her brother no longer was. She feared that she would do something dangerous if she allowed her emotions to bombard her.  

Almost as if sensing exactly what she was thinking, Doctor Kwon tried to change the topic. "Mi Yeon-ssi, how are you getting home today?" 

"I'm not sure. My father didn’t say." 

"Do you know how to get home from here?" 

Mi Yeon nodded, recalling the bus stand not too far from the institution. If all else fails, she can take a taxi and pay when she arrives home.  

"Have you given any thought to having out-patient care?" 

"My father said he will arrange for me to get private therapy." 

The Doctor nodded, agreeing. "Well, that seems  to wrap up everything." He rose from his chair and returned to the seat behind his desk.  

Mi Yeon also got up, ready to leave. Before she could, Doctor Kwon called her over to his desk. He placed a call card in her palm and said, "Just in case you need a doctor that’s not controlled by your father." 

She accepted and smiled at his comment. Once outside, Seung Cheol met her in the hallway. He reached for her hand and asked her if she needed his parents to drop her home later. She declined the offer, still not wanting his parents to meet her for the first time under such circumstances. 

He led her to the television room, where the group spend the majority of the afternoon watching re-runs and bonding over their similar high school memories. As they sat, Seung Cheol held Mi Yeon's hand and cradled their hands in his lap. She rested her head on his shoulder and took in his scent. Their friends noticed their physical fondness but allowed them to enjoy their time together before they left.