BBQ

Mansae!

Sunday morning arrived and Mi Yeon was ready to leave the house after receiving a text from Seung Cheol, inviting her to come by to have lunch with him and his family. She informed her parents and they waved her off.  

However, as Mi Yeon made her way out of the gates, Won Woo stood, blocking her path.  

"Don't go," he said, holding his arms out. 

She moved forward to push him away, but he held her by the shoulders easily. 

"Please, don't go to him." 

"I have to." 

"He isn't good for you. He wasn’t good for your brother and he definitely isn't good for you." 

Mi Yeon's rage emerged and she slapped Won Woo firmly across his left cheek. Anger radiated from her and her eyes began to water. "Don’t you dare talk about my brother. You didn’t even know him!" 

Won Woo stumbled back, placing a hand to his reddened cheek. He looked at Mi Yeon, shocked. "I just want to protect you," he said, almost in a whisper.  

She sighed and looked away from him. "You don’t have to anymore." 

"Mi Yeon-ssi-" 

"Enough. Next week you won't even be my Driver anymore," she said, remembering that he was going to begin working alongside her father in his company.  

He nodded, agreeing. "Then that means that we can be together. Your father wants me to be with you." 

Mi Yeon turned to him again, outraged. She scoffed and said, "I have no intention of following whatever plan my father has for me, even if that includes you." Hurriedly, she strolled past him and made her way out of his sight. Her adrenaline was beginning to decline and she couldn’t believe that she had just said that to someone who genuinely seemed to care about her best interests. She did have feelings for Won Woo, but when she really thought about it, Seung Cheol was the one who captivated her the first time. Both guys' first impressions were odd, but Seung Cheol's stayed with her more and her heart followed him more. 

By the time Mi Yeon made her way to Seung Cheol's house, the family was setting up the barbeque in the front. Both parents greeted her warmly and then Seung Cheol emerged from the house, carrying a glass dish of grade-A Korean beef. When he saw her, he hurried to put down the dish and then he ran over to her, taking her in his arms. His parents looked on, smiling. When he released her, he gave her pecks on her forehead, left cheek, right cheek, nose and finally, her lips. She smiled, glad that he was in a good mood.  

She went on to help the parents with whatever they needed for the lunch and she set the picnic table on their front lawn. Once the beef was perfectly grilled and cut, the group gathered around the table and dug into their meal.  

Once everyone was stuffed and pleased, his parents left the two to talk in private. Sipping at their glasses of juice, Seung Cheol turned to her. 

"Thank you for coming today." 

"I'm glad I did," she responded.  

The two finished their drinks and went on to discuss how they would spend their college semester together. They would both be busy, so they made plans to Skype, call, and text each other as often as possible. Both of them liked thinking that they had a future together and they decided to go all in and give it a real try. Mi Yeon never would've thought that she would go to College with a boyfriend already at her side; she always assumed that she would find someone while she was there. However, if that person was Seung Cheol, she knew she could make it work somehow.