Welcome to The Chilyo Institution

Mansae!

The hallways were clean, too clean. They were the first things that Kim Mi Yeon noticed as the steel double doors opened before her. She was being led down the hall by a mature woman dressed in a white dress, with her graying hair wrapped in a bun above her head. This woman went by the term "Nurse Kang" who, from what Mi Yeon noticed, was the Head Nurse.  

As they walked slowly, Mi Yeon noticed an information desk to her left, near the doors, where other Nurses sat, reading and knitting. After that desk, there were doors on both sides of the hallway, each opened. Straight down the hall, lay a sitting area which included aged couches, a table with three chairs and a television from the 90s. In the area, there were other persons around her age, some in small groups chatting and others by themselves. No one looked up at her as she came closer. She was intrigued to see boys and girls in the same Ward. She was sure that it was to be all girls, but upon seeing the boys, she didn't see a problem.  

"Mi Yeon-ssi, this way please," Nurse Kang said, leading Mi Yeon away from her thoughts and to the second-to-last room on the right.  

As Mi Yeon entered, she took in the drastic difference around the room. The room was split into two sections, one for each patient. The half away from the door was messy, with pieces of clothing strewn along the floors. There were also ruffled sheets and clothing drawers which were opened ajar.Compared to that, Mi Yeon's side was perfectly neat. It was untouched and seemed inviting enough.  

She placed her duffle bag on the ground and sat on the bed.  

"There is going to be group therapy in about 20 minutes. Come out and ask where it is then." Nurse Kang left the room and returned to her station. 

As Mi Yeon looked at her new surroundings, there was shuffling by the door. She felt eyes staring at her every movement. She quickly snapped her glance towards the door and saw a girl around her age, staring back at her. She had a small frame and large, round eyes. When she found Mi Yeon staring, she smiled immediately. 

"You must be my new roommate," she greeted as she entered the room. "I'm Na Ra." 

Mi Yeon smiled back and introduced herself. She noticed Na Ra's minute hands and boney structure. "You're very small," Mi Yeon said. 

Na Ra seemed pleased by her words and smiled brightly. "We should head to group therapy. I'll show you around." 

She took Mi Yeon's hand and pulled her down the halls. After they turned left, Mi Yeon found everyone gathered a well-lit room, sitting in a circle. One of the room's walls contained a large window, from which the light entered. Although it was warm, it seemed welcoming.  

When the two of them entered, all eyes fell on Mi Yeon's body. They seemed to be searching for something, as if something from her physical state would tell them why she was here.  

Na Ra led her to right end of the circle. At the top of the circle, stood a black chair, while the others were white. Once everyone was settled into their seats, a man in his mid-30s entered and greeted everyone.  

"I am aware that we have a new face," he said, looking at Mi Yeon. "I'm Doctor Kwon. Why don’t we go around the circle and everyone say why they're here. Let's make Mi Yeon comfortable." 

The group mumbled and grumbled at the suggestion, but took his words seriously.  

Directly across from her, on the other side of the Doctor, Mi Yeon found a pair of dark eyes staring at her intently, somewhat threateningly. His hair was black and swooshed in front of his forehead messily. He looked serious and something about his aura put Mi Yeon off.  

"Seung Cheol, why don’t you start us off?" The Doctor prompted.  

Suddenly, the threatening boy began to speak. "I'm Seung Cheol and I'm here because I attempted suicide. I've been here a week and I can't wait to leave."  

Some people chuckled at his few words, but he maintained his steel look. When he stopped talking, he glared at Mi Yeon, making her fidget in her seat. 

The boy next to him was next. Mi Yeon felt more comfortable as she looked at him. He had light brown hair and looked foreign. As he spoke, he had an accent that wasn't Korean. 

"I'm Vernon. I'm here because I get anxiety attacks." He looked around the room and gave Mi Yeon a slight smile when their eyes met. 

Short and sweet, that's how Mi Yeon mentally described the next boy. He looked down at his hands in his lap as he spoke. His hair was a mess and strands tickled his eyes, causing his to blink more often.  

"I'm Ji Hoon, and I'm here because I have self-esteem issues, as Doctor Kwon calls it." 

Mi Yeon tried to keep up with the other patients as they spoke, but she kept feeling Seung Cheol's gaze on her face and, finally, she stared back at him. His eyebrows went up for a moment, shocked that someone looked at him like that, but he composed himself and returned the glare. 

When the time came for Mi Yeon to introduce herself, she broke the glare and spoke softly. "I'm Mi Yeon and I'm here because I attempted suicide two days ago." 

After she spoke, Seung Cheol's gaze lightened and he looked around the room at anything but her. She kept glancing at him, but he never looked at her throughout the group therapy session.  

By the end, she found out that there was group therapy every day and that she would receive personal therapy later in the day. Also, her roommate was there because she suffered from Anorexia and didn’t feel guilty about it. After the session was over, the patients filed out but Mi Yeon remained seated, promising to meet up with Na Ra in a little while. She needed to be with her thoughts. 

"You're Kim Mi Yeon, right? You knew Kim Tae Hyun, right?"  

Mi Yeon turned and saw Seung Cheol looking at her, desperate for an answer. The name Kim Tae Hyun was one she hadn't heard in over a month. He was a memory that she wanted to forget quickly and now here was a boy trying to get her to remember. Her anger grew and her eyes threatened to show her pain, as she stared back at Seung Cheol.