Fifth Move - First Meeting

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as the meeting was over, Eunhyuk got out of the room to his desk. He still couldn’t believe how that guy, Donghae, talked to him. How dared he! But more than that… it was impossible for this guy to have read all the reports and files about the case. So how on earth was he able to see such an evident pattern? That was it… what infuriated Eunhyuk the most was, how could he, who was working on this case for more than 4 years, could miss something this big? And again, how did this Donghae do it?

As soon as he sat down at his desk again, Sungmin came to sit next to him.

“That was a pretty intense meeting... That new guy knows how to make a first impression.”

“I don’t get why Kangin hired someone like him…”

“Come on, you have to admit that he is quite impressive. He has to work on his social skills and the way that he talks but other than that I give him 80 points out of 100.”

Eunhyuk turned to his partner, frowning. Before he could yell at him, Sungmin explained himself.

“Other than his awesome brains, he is also very handsome and y, and… well I don’t know but there’s something about him… I like the guy.”

“Well I don’t.” Eunhyuk said crossing his arms.

Sungmin was going to add something else when Eunhyuk raised a hand to stop him. He suddenly had an idea. He picked up the phone and dialed the number of the NP.

“Kyuhyun? Meet me in the interrogation room… Yes, right now! And bring your laptop.” then he hung up.

Sungmin was the one frowning to his friend now.

“What do you want with Kyu?”

“It’s time to find out who that Donghae guy really is.”

Feeling that his partner was up to no good, Sungmin followed him to the interrogation room where a few minutes later Kyuhyun appeared, holding his computer under his arm.

“So, what owes me the honor to be summoned by the great detective Lee? Oh and his forever loyal partner of course.” the young boy said, entering the room.

“Close the door behind you.” Hyuk said.

The boy did and then sat across Eunhyuk, on the interrogation table.

“What’s all this about?” he asked frowning.

Eunhyuk was about to tell him, but the brunet didn’t leave him time and turned to Sungmin.

“Did he discover for the sandwich?!” he turned back to Eunhyuk. “I swear I didn’t know it was yours, Min-hyung told me to eat it!”

“I did not!” the blond detective defended himself.

“You did so, telling me that he wouldn’t even notice. And now I’m being scold for it!”

Eunhyuk looked at Sungmin and Kyuhyun bicker about who ate the sandwich, and that made him slowly lose patience. He wasn’t in the mood to joke.

“Silence!” he yelled, making the two men shut up. “I don’t know what sandwich you’re talking about and I don’t care! What I do care is your hacker skills.”

In a second Kyuhyun became serious.

“Oh, you should’ve said so from the beginning hyung.”

Eunhyuk massaged his temples, trying to stay calm and not snap at the boy. Kyuhyun opened his computer and cracked his fingers.

“What can I do for you?”

“I want you to find me any piece of information you can on Lee Donghae.”

Both Sungmin and Kyuhyun stared at him for a moment, judging if he was serious or not. But seeing how he wouldn’t budge, he was indeed being serious. Kyuhyun threw a questioning look at Sungmin who just shrugged.

“Hyung… you fell in love at first sight and now you wanna stalk him? I’m ok with those kinds of things, really, but I’m not sure our boss would appreciate…”

Eunhyuk didn’t need to lift a finger that Sungmin smacked Kyuhyun’s head for him. The boy protested but then stopped, noticing how serious Eunhyuk was.

“Alright I can do that. But I seriously don’t understand what you want with this poor kid.”

“Says the nineteen years old kid.” Sungmin commented.

“I just turned twenty for your information.”

“You two cut it out! Please, Kyu, just do it.”

The boy nodded and then, with an amazing speed, started tapping on his computer. While he was focused doing this, Sungmin approached his partner and leaned closer to whisper.

“Seriously what are you doing? This is almost illegal.”

“Don’t you find it strange that this guy arrives just when the crimes started again? And then he knows everything about the case and starts making assumptions? What if he is leading us the other way?”

Sungmin frowned.

“Are you suspecting him to be the Checkmate killer? That’s ridiculous! You don’t even know the guy. Are you so obsessed with that killer that you start doubting the first strange guy?!”

Eunhyuk was going to reply, when Kyuhyun clapped in his hands.

“Done!”

“Already?”

“I’m just that good.”

“You’re a monster…” Sungmin commented.

“So what did you find?” Eunhyuk asked, impatient.

The boy turned the computer to his senior.

“Here’s his scores at the academy and all his records since he entered law enforcement. After that he has a very sad and boring life. His both parents are dead, he only have his brother left… Everything indicates that he is a normal guy, except… I couldn’t find anything prior to his fifteen years old.”

“What do you mean?” asked Sungmin, intrigued.

The boy took his computer back to open another page on it and then showed his two sunbaes.

“Those are his hospital files. He suffered a very serious accident when he was fifteen and that’s when he appeared in the system as Lee Donghae. Before that, there’s no trace of any Lee Donghae anywhere.”

Eunhyuk read the file quickly. Donghae was in a car accident with his father and his brother, after surviving it he had amnesia and then he was diagnosed with…

“What is hypermnesia?” Sungmin asked, before Eunhyuk could.

Kyuhyun read the file over his senior’s shoulder and his eyes widened.

“Oh whoa, that explains a lot.”

“What does?”

“Someone hypermnesic is said to be able to remember everything he sees or hears.”

“Everything?”

“Everything! It’s like amnesia but the other way around; instead of forgetting everything he remembers everything.”

“That must be tiring.” Sungmin commented.

Eunhyuk hadn’t said a word. Something about Donghae’s life didn’t add up… other than his first fifteen years of life that were inexistent on paper, there was this weird accident that gave him this special ability… Something was really wrong about all this.

“Nothing else?” he asked Kyuhyun.

The boy shook his head.

“Alright thanks…”

Seeing that Eunhyuk was in deep thought, Kyuhyun took his leave, Sungmin following him. Once they were out of the room, Kyuhyun whispered to his senior.

“Is he ok, hyung? He seemed a bit…”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it I’ll take care of him. Just keep it between us, alright?”

“Sure.”

Then the boy returned to the Nerd Pit.

After that, Sungmin didn’t mention it again with Eunhyuk and they just resumed work like if nothing happened. The day passed by really slowly, and the dark haired detective couldn’t see the end of it. He focused on following what Donghae told them earlier, and was working on retracing every murder that happened in town and what could possibly be the Checkmate killer’s, since he first started. Eunhyuk was counting six murders until now… And he was sure the list would only get longer…

***

Once the meeting over, Donghae got up to follow his colleagues, but before he could step outside a voice stopped him.

“Very impressive, Lee Donghae is it?”

He turned around to see who talked to him and came face to face with the platinum blond man, that he remembered be called Heechul. Ignoring him, Donghae looked around the room, looking for the only person he would have liked to talk to. But the thin man called Eunhyuk was nowhere to be seen, he must’ve headed out as soon as the meeting was over… Heechul, still in front of the brunet smiled at him, but something in his eyes seemed… untrustworthy.

“Anytime you want to put Eunhyuk back in his place just call me. I’ll be delighted to help you.”

“I wasn’t trying to put anyone in its place; I just merely did an observation.”

“An observation that Eunhyuk failed to see. Such an evidence… and after he goes around saying it’s his case…” the blond said, smirking.

Donghae highly disliked how the man was talking badly and looking down on his own colleague. People like that, Donghae couldn’t stand.

“If I remember correctly, you too missed to notice that evidence, sunbae. So I don’t think it would be fair to hold Detective Lee sole responsible.”

Heechul frowned, and Donghae slapped himself mentally.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter