Thirty-third Move - DTR

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk and Donghae were back at the precinct as frustrated and empty handed as they were before they left. Kyuhyun was working hard on trailing Siwon once he left the building, thanks to the street’s CCTV. But until now nothing was very useful.

“I lost him!” Kyuhyun exclaimed hitting the table, frustrated.

His computer was on with a bunch of windows showing different angles of the streets. Siwon was walking, quite fast and nervously, he turned into a small street and disappeared.

“What the hell is he playing at?” Donghae muttered more to himself.

“I think he is being forced to do it…” Leeteuk suddenly said.

“How do you know?”

Leeteuk pointed at the footage.

“His behavior. He is acting hectically and seems nervous, but not for himself… it’s as if someone else’s life depended on it.”

“You can tell that just by looking at him walk?” Kyuhyun commented, sarcastically.

Leeteuk threw him a harsh glance, reminding the boy that he was still his superior.

“I don’t know, hyung…” Donghae said, deflected. “He could be helping the CK killer and trying to protect him. Maybe he knew who it was from the beginning…”

“He lost his beloved wife to that maniac!” Leeteuk exclaimed, shocked by Donghae’s words.

“Maybe he snapped…”

It hurt Donghae to talk like that, but he had this doubt in his heart that was hard to get rid of.

“Anyway we won’t get anything more today… I’m going home.”

Donghae left the NP but before he could get upstairs Leeteuk stopped him.

“What’s wrong?!”

“Really, hyung?”

“Ok, it wasn’t the best choice of words, but I don’t get your attitude.”

Donghae let out a long sigh.

“I’m just tired… and frustrated. I feel powerless. And now I’m going home to Eunhyuk what am I going to tell him? That I saw his brother in law betraying him by protecting a killer?”

The brunet passed a weary hand on his hair, becoming more and more anxious by the minute. He didn’t even notice the small smile on Leeteuk’s lips when he said “going home to Eunhyuk”. It’s when the oldest kept staring at him with a large smile, in silence, that Donghae realized his words and what they meant.

“I mean… humm… we are dining together to keep each other posted…”

“I don’t have to know what you two do…” Leeteuk said, amused. “I’m just happy for the two of you.”

“Hyung, it’s not what you…!”

“I won’t tell anyone I promise.” Leeteuk said backing up.

Donghae wanted to justify himself, explain that it wasn’t it, but the man didn’t let him and was already gone. The brunet cursed under his breath, mad at his careless words. Anyway it wasn’t a big secret… but he preferred keeping it between him and Eunhyuk, since he didn’t even know what they really were, exactly. Donghae decided to ignore what just happened and he took out his cellphone to call Eunhyuk. He wanted, he needed, to see him. Calling Eunhyuk he discovered that he was with his brother and that they were still working on Changmin’s case.

“What about a break?” Donghae suggested.  “And real food?” he added imagining his lover’s state.

“Ooooh! I’m dreaming of a hot meal for hours! What about we go out and have dinner with your brother too?”

Donghae was a bit surprised. He knew that the two of them were working on this case together since yesterday, but he didn’t think of how he would introduce Eunhyuk to his brother yet… Well of course they already knew each other! It was just… what Eunhyuk was suggesting sounded a bit like a family dinner and the formal introductions. The detective must’ve felt Donghae’s sudden nervousness because he quickly added.

“No pressure! It’s just that I owe your brother a meal for his help.”

He heard Donghwa behind him, saying something about “not owing him anything”.

“You are my two most important people now, so yes I would like for us all to have dinner together.”

“Are you sure?”

 Donghae smiled. His concern was touching.

“Yes I’m sure! I’m coming to pick you guys up and then we’ll choose a restaurant.”

***

 The evening went by marvelously. His brother, Eunhyuk and he, had a great time. They would talk about many different things, sometimes about cases, sometimes just about their lives. Even if both Donghwa and Eunhyuk were a bit reserved about their past, they would skip the drama part and talk about all the things around it. It was also a chance for Donghae to know more about Eunhyuk, because honestly they hadn’t had much time to really talk yet… When Eunhyuk and his brother were lost in a debate about the best century of music, Donghae took this time to observe them. He had the most important person of his life in front and next to him someone who was becoming as much important. They were laughing, and joking around. He was so glad they could get along like this. It meant the world for Donghae, and at this moment he let himself believe that maybe this time he could be really happy. Maybe, finally he had reached the happiness he was looking for so long.

“I think we lost him.”

It was Eunhyuk who interrupted his thoughts.

“Why are you staring at us like this?”

“It’s his nostalgia moment. He must’ve been freaking out about us not getting along and now that he sees we do he is relieved.” Donghwa said with a big smile.

He knew his little brother too well. Surprisingly Eunhyuk put a hand over Donghae’s on the table and turned puppy eyes to him.

“You were nervous? Awww you don’t need to be.”

That guy was obviously making fun of him, so the brunet just pouted while Donghwa and Eunhyuk started laughing. Then Eunhyuk’s expression softened and he turned a kind smile to the brunet. Donghae melted in his eyes and he couldn’t help but smile like a silly person too. Feeling his skin against his, even if it was just a hand on his, was already delicious. They stared at each other for a long while, and Donghae almost forgot that his brother was there, it was a small cough that snapped them back to reality. Eunhyuk cleared his throat, uneasy, and let go of Donghae’s hand.

“You guys don’t need to be shy around me.” Donghwa said.

That simple sentence made Donghae immediately turn red.

“Hyung!”

“What?”

“Oh gosh please not here.” Donghae said, covering his face with his hands, trying to disappear.

“Hae, why are you so embarrassed? It’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

The brunet turned to Eunhyuk who hadn’t said a word.

“You say something! Make him stop!”

Eunhyuk raised his hands, playing innocent. “He’s your brother!”

“Aish!”

Both Donghwa and Eunhyuk started laughing again at the young man’s frustration, and the big brother stopped teasing. They finished eating and then it was already time to leave. His brother was paying when Donghae stepped closer to Eunhyuk.

“We need to talk.” he whispered.

“That’s never good when someone says that…”

“No! I mean about the case!”

Eunhyuk smirked, happy his tease worked.

“Wanna come over? Will it be alright with your brother?”

“I’m a grown up…”

But even if he said that Donghae told his brother that he was going to stay at Eunhyuk’s. His brother had a cryptic smile, that Donghae decided to ignore, knowing very well that he was going to be teased again. Then hugging his brother goodbye he went back to Eunhyuk’s apartment.

The detective opened the door and invited Donghae in. The man went in… And before he knew it he was pinned on the wall and Eunhyuk’s mouth was on his. At first the brunet was surprised by the hunger in the thin man’s actions, but soon he let himself melt into it. He too missed him, miss his touch. His hands

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter