Twenty-third Move - Sorry for your loss

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What could Eunhyuk possibly have to tell him? Donghae was curious. He was going to go upstairs when he was stopped by Kyuhyun who just went down.

“I thought you were out with the others.” Donghae told him.

“We just came back… good thing you’re here I was meaning to talk to you hyung.”

“Not now, Hyukjae is waiting for me.”

Donghae was going to pass the boy but the other moved cutting his way.

“Now hyung. Eunhyuk can wait.”

This imperative tone was quite surprising and the brunet stared at Kyuhyun surprised. He had the same voice when Donghae eavesdropped him talking to Zhoumi, and it was quite scary. In this situation the analyst couldn’t possibly say no. He sketched his most convincing smile and agreed to follow him.

“Alright, let’s talk.”

“Not here, let’s go to the old restroom.”

Donghae followed him, but at the same time he took out his phone to send a text to Eunhyuk, just so he would know where he was if something happened. But nothing would happen right? He had no proof of Kyuhyun being the checkmate killer and even so, killing a suspect was one thing, but killing a member as important as Donghae in broad day light was another. So the brunet was pretty sure he wasn’t in any danger. The young boy let the analyst enter the toilets and then locked the door behind them. Well maybe Donghae was wrong after all.

“Let’s cut the crap, alright hyung? What do you know exactly?”

On his guard now, Donghae opted for playing dumb.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You don’t know huh…? Then let me help you! I know very well that you were snooping in Zhoumi’s office last time and that you saw it!”

Kyuhyun was speaking with a threatening tone and as he was accusing Donghae of something he walked towards him, forcing the brunet to back down.

“I don’t wanna play games anymore, this whole situation is driving me crazy; so what do you know?”

Something in his insistence made Donghae give in. If the boy wanted to stop playing then they shall. Frowning, the analyst counter-attacked.

“You’re right, I looking around Zhoumi’s office, not on purpose, but I saw it. I saw the book.”

Kyuhyun looked suddenly surprised.

“Book? What book?”

“The Chess book on Zhoumi’s desk.”

The boy seemed more and more perplexed, which encouraged Donghae to continue. Their roles were now switched.

“And I overheard you two, you’re hiding something.”

“So you didn’t see it?” Kyuhyun asked.

“See what?”

“The results! On the board, Zhoumi found your prints on it.”

It was now Donghae’s turn to be surprised.

“What the hell are you talking about?! I never even touched the board!”

Kyuhyun frowned, looking suspiciously at the brunet. That’s when Donghae understood.

“You think I have something to do with the murders?!”

In front of Kyuhyun’s silence he knew he was right. It was as if he was relieving the same situation that he did with Eunhyuk, and that seriously pissed him off. Especially since HE suspected Kyuhyun to have something to do with it. Maybe it was his way to deflect the suspicions! But again why would he come to confront him personally?

“Zhoumi is the one with a Chess book and I’m the one you’re suspecting?!”

“That book was to understand the possible chess moves. You’re the one who brought the theory that the killer used the city as a chess board. It was to study.”

That was it… Donghae had to finally admit; the boy was innocent and like him was only trying to get to the bottom of this case. He also understood that if he and Zhoumi were working in secret to find out who was the Checkmate killer than it meant…

“You know that the killer is someone from the police don’t you?” Donghae said.

The boy looked at him suspiciously again, but then he must’ve chosen to trust him, because he seemed to relax.

“Can I trust you?”

“I could ask you the same question.”

Kyuhyun smirked, and then leaned against the sink.

“Ever since you arrived things started to happen. First the murders started again, and then you came with new theories and solutions. Eunhyuk-hyung was right to suspect you, and when he started asked me to do background checks on you, I thought that maybe he had a point…”

Donghae didn’t say anything and just let the other continue.

“But then other things happened… I confided in Sungmin, because he is the only one I trust, but he told me no way you could be a killer. Now I realize that he is right.”

“I’ll try not to take offense from everyone thinking that I’m a monster…” Donghae said bitterly.

Kyuhyun looked down, seeming embarrassed. Donghae knew he shouldn’t like this; he was a good boy after all.

“So how did yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter