Eleventh Move - Police Mole

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After his discovery last night, Donghae couldn’t stay still. All he could think about was that he had to tell Eunhyuk. But it was late and he didn’t want to sound like a crazy person calling him out of the blue. The guy already didn’t like him very much; he didn’t want to aggravate his case. On the other hand the brunet wanted to get along with him very much; he wanted to prove that he was trustworthy. Because, since the first day, for some reason, the brunet was drawn to Eunhyuk. And now knowing more about him and his past, he admired his strength even more.
But then when he thought he had found everything he could on the files he had, he was shocked, when he stumbled on one of the classic killer’s victim’s name… That was impossible.

Anyway, Donghae had to wait tomorrow morning until he got to work. He didn’t sleep much, still thinking about what he found out and what it meant, and when his alarm went off, announcing morning, the brunet was the first on his feet.

When he arrived at the office he knew something was off. First, every one of the Nerd Team was up in the main office and second they were all reunited around Eunhyuk’s desk but the man in question was nowhere to be seem.

“What’s going on?” Donghae asked, approaching Yesung.

“It’s a tragedy!” he said in an exaggerated way.

Donghae threw a questioning look at Ryeowook hoping for a better explanation.

“Sungmin-hyung and Hyukjae-hyung got attacked last night.” the assistant said, with his usual inexpressive face.

“What?! Did someone die? Is Eunhyuk ok?”

The brunet saw Kyuhyun smirk at how he only asked about Eunhyuk, and he bit his tongue. But this had nothing to do with his personal feelings; he got worried because the detective was the only person to whom he could tell his discovery. Or so he liked to tell himself… Leeteuk shoved the two coroners on the side glaring at them.

“Don’t listen to them! Yeah they got attacked and Sungmin is in the hospital but he is fine.”

“And Eunhyuk?”

Suddenly everyone got silent and looked down at their feet. Something was definitely going on… But more importantly, Donghae didn’t know how to face Leeteuk right now… His lie was still fresh on Donghae’s mind and until he sorted some things out, the brunet knew he had to be careful with everyone.

Heechul approached them, followed by Hangeng, with a satisfied smile on his face. Even before the detective opened his mouth Donghae could already guess that it could be nothing good. He quickly picked how is sumbae was an ambitious prick.

“He is toasted now! No way is he going to get out of this one with just a warning. His career is over.” he laughed.

Yesung made a movement as if he was going to hit the man, but Ryeowook and Kyuhyun stopped him. Donghae never thought Yesung to be a violent person, even if the most zen of Buddhists would have urges to hit that sickly proud smile off Heechul’s face. The red haired’s reaction seemed to please the detective. Kyuhyun then stepped in.

“Nobody’s ever got their career ruined by doing their jobs. Unlike other people who only knows how to steal other’s cases or let his partner do all the job.”

That seemed to hit Heechul in the target and he lost his smile immediately. The two teams kept staring at each other with a palpable animosity. Donghae was lost in this war. He had no idea what provoked all this, and he didn’t have time for this. All he needed right now was to speak with Eunhyuk.

“Where is detective Lee? I need to see him.”

“If you’re looking for that failure you will find him in his comfy cell over there.” Heechul said.

“Alright that’s enough!” Leeteuk interposed, sensing the tension building. “Everyone go back to your duties, we have new evidence to work on.”

Surprisingly everyone listened to the oldest and went their way. Donghae was impressed by Leeteuk’s natural leadership, since he started working here, he only saw Leeteuk sleeping; he never thought he had a personality like that… When the others went away, the blond turned to Donghae and sighed.

“Things are bad… Follow me.”

The brunet did and they went to a quiet room, to talk.

“Eunhyuk’s in jail?” Donghae asked surprised.

“He is… but it’s only temporarily. Kangin was really upset about what happened yesterday and he wanted to give him a lesson.  So for now you can’t see him…”

“What exactly happened yesterday?”

The oldest then told Donghae everything he missed over the night. He also told him about the hidden message and the address the killer left for Eunhyuk. In everything he was told, the brunet was only more and more certain about his assumption. When he was done, the brunet was more decided than ever.

“I have to talk to him.”

“Hae…”

“Hyung, please! Can you cover for me?”

The oldest seemed to hesitate but he saw how driven the other was so he ended up nodding.

“You have 10 minutes. More and I won’t be responsible for what happens to you!”

“Thanks hyung!”

And the brunet went, almost running, to the cells that were in a recluse side of the precinct. Arriving there he saw Eunhyuk sitting on one of the beds, his legs pulled up against his chest and his head buried in his knees. In this position he suddenly seemed so much younger, and for some reason seeing him like this made Donghae’s heart beat faster. Fortunately the other cells were empty, so there was only the two of them. He carefully approached the door of the cell and kneeled in front of it.

“Detective…” he called in a small voice.

The thin man didn’t move. Maybe he was asleep? Donghae thought. He insisted and called him again, but still no reaction.

“Hyukjae!”

This time he raised his head and finally noticed Donghae. It was the first time the brunet called him by his name, his real name, and he thought he would be scold for it, but the thin man just stared at him aimlessly, like if he was looking through him. That was bad. Eunhyuk had bags under his eyes a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter