Bonus Chapter - Christmas' Eve

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Hey lovelies! As promised here your special Christmas chapter. There's no precise timeline for it because well I wanted everyone to be there and for Eunhae to be already together, so think of it as a timeless chapter, as their Christmas in a parallele universe!XD
Hope you like it! Good reading!
_____________________________________________________

Soft notes of jazz rose in the room and a good smell of gingerbread embalmed the air. The Christmas tree was leniently taking up a corner of the room, illuminated by colorful tinsels and Christmas balls. Other decorations were set around the house, turning the apartment into a cozy Christmas lair. Eunhyuk couldn’t stop looking at the clock, nervously. His friends were supposed to arrive at any minute and he wasn’t done with the preparations yet. A hand got dangerously close to the pastry bowl, and he smashed it.

“Don’t you dare! Or else you’re going to mess up my doses for the cookies.”

Junsu massaged his wounded hand, pouting.

“You get so bossy when you cook…! I came here to help, the least you could do is feed me!”

“All you did was setup the table.”

“Still. I’m here for moral support.”

Eunhyuk shook his head smiling. Junsu would always be Junsu. For the occasion he had dyed his hair with a dark red color that was more vivid with the green pullover he was wearing.

If Christmas wasn’t a big deal for Junsu, it was for Eunhyuk. It was then that he had the best memories with his sister, his favorite time of the year because he knew he would spend time with his family. And even after the accident, her death didn’t tarnish this moment, on the contrary. Eunhyuk thought that it was a good way of honoring her, to keep at least this moment of the year, a happy one. The thin man put small drops of the pastry on the tray then slipped it in the oven, when Siwon appeared at the kitchen door.

“I finished with the living room.” he said.

Right, because Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Siwon. They were each other’s family for so long, that Eunhyuk couldn’t imagine spending this holiday without him. He guessed that for Siwon too, preparing this holiday diligently was a way to honor Sora, to make her warmth and kindness survive through the spirit of Christmas. That’s why every year they would prepare Christmas Eve together. The man was about to add something when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.”

Eunhyuk turned to his friend.

“See? HE is helpful.”

Which Junsu responded by pulling his tongue out, like a child. Eunhyuk heard multiple voices coming from the entrance, and immediately his heart started racing. He was expecting this special someone, and even if he was happy to see his other friends too, the only thought of seeing him made his stomach ache in excitement. But it wasn’t time to get distracted. Eunhyuk had to finish up the meal he was cooking.

“Hey, go make yourself useful and take those appetizers to the living room, will you?!”

Still pouting, Junsu took the trays and got out of the kitchen, letting the thin man get back to his pans. Everything was almost ready, only the cookies and the turkey that had to be warmed again, but other than that dinner was done. He could hear the voices in the living room now, and he playfully tried to tell people apart without much success. The doorbell rang again, making Eunhyuk’s heart jump in his chest and he took a deep breath to try calming himself. He heard other voices and suddenly Siwon came in.

“They’re all here.”

Eunhyuk nodded.

“You’re nervous aren’t you?” Siwon asked, amused by his dongsaengs behavior.

“Well… it’s the first time we have so many people! Usually it’s just us, Junsu and sometimes Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

The lawyer put a hand on his shoulder, in brotherly affection.

“That’s when you thank God for given you such a big new family.”

Eunhyuk couldn’t help but smile, and Siwon patted his back.

“Now come on, they’re all waiting for you.”

***

Donghae was incapable of holding still, a mix of nervousness and excitement. His big brother would throw him amused glances that he tried to ignore. When they arrived in front of Eunhyuk’s apartment’s door, the brunet thought his heart would burst out. Even if they worked together, it had been a while since Donghae last saw his partner, he missed him. And no one knew about them, apart maybe Donghwa, it would be their first social event after becoming a couple, which was a big deal. They rang the bell and for Donghae’s disappointment it was Siwon who opened the door and let them in.

From the hallway, already, they could smell a sweet and spicy smell of gingerbread floating in the air. When they entered the apartment Donghae suddenly stopped in shock. He had been to Eunhyuk’s place a few times, even if he would’ve needed only once, to notice the differences.

The long hallway, that lead to the living room, was decorated with small Christmas stickers and motives like reindeers, Christmas trees and snowflakes in multiple sparkling colors suited for the special event.

Around the two door frames on the left, which lead to the kitchen, and the right side, which was connected to the bedroom, in the middle of the corridor, you could see small lights in shape of little stars, enlightening the usually dimmed entrance area. They followed Siwon to the living room where Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Junsu were already waiting for them. Here, again, the room was thoroughly decorated.

The grey sofa with three seats, usually facing the window, had been re-arranged a bit, together with the TV, coffee table, that was filled with Christmas snacks, and same colored armchair to make some more space for the attention of the room itself. On the wall, at waist height, were hanging knitted red boots filled with sweets, like it used to be on Christmas. The huge, lovely decorated Christmas tree with some presents underneath it and of course numerous glittering and shining decorations on it. And on top of it there was a golden star.

Another star with countless tips was hanging from the ceiling, over the coffee table and spread a warm light across the room, making the red blankets with white reindeers on top of the sofa and armchair look like the flames of the warming fire, everyone enjoyed watching during a cold winter night while drinking a hot chocolate and cuddling with your beloved ones while telling each other some old stories. Donghae was impressed. If he hadn’t known it was Eunhyuk’s house, never he would’ve guessed. Everything looked more like a familial home, in contrast with his usually plain and impersonal place.

The analyst greeted everyone happily, and introduced his brother again. Trying hard to be discreet, Donghae threw glances around the room to see if he found Eunhyuk, but the man was not here. Someone else knocked at the door and Siwon went to open it. A few seconds later Leeteuk came in accompanied by a woman his age, dark short hairs falling on her shoulders. The man introduced her as being his fiancé, to everyone’s surprise. Kyuhyun was quick to be hit behind the head, after commenting something like Christmas miracles did indeed exist, even if everyone laughed at his impertinence.

Finally coming from the kitchen, following Siwon, Eunhyuk appeared wearing a reindeer apron around his waist. Sungmin came behind him and whispered in his ear.

“I told you he went full Christmas.”

Donghae repressed a small laugh. Indeed the apron was totally unexpected. But so was the rest. Seeing him the brunet’s heart stopped for a second. Under the apron he was wearing dark cotton pants and a dark blue flannel shirt, his sleeves pulled up careful not to dirty it, and a burgundy tie came to complete the outfit. The brunet hadn’t noticed how much the thin’s man hair had grown and now his blond bang would fall on his face almost covering his eyes. But still he was handsome. The most handsome person he had ever seen. He had never seen the detective so well dressed and he felt slightly underdressed, even if he was wearing a dark green shirt with a brown vest. Donghae was so focused on how beautiful he looked that he didn’t notice Eunhyuk staring straight at him. They awkwardly smiled at each other, and the detective went to greet all his guests, to then come next to the brunet.

“Hey.” he said brushing his hand.

“Hello.”

Siwon came to the center of the room and raised a glass.

“Now that everyone is here let’s start!”

“Wasn’t Kangin-hyung supposed to come?” Sungmin asked.

“He couldn’t, family stuffs. But he sends his best.”

And the party started. Everyone gathered around the coffee table where different appetizers and other snacks were lying. Some were sitting on the couch already, chatting, and some others were near a table on a corner of the room that served as a bar. Before Donghae could turn to his boyfriend he was already being monopolized by Sungmin and Leeteuk. So the brunet decided to stay with his brother, who didn’t really know anyone a part from Siwon. Then Donghae decided to go take something to drink and found Junsu near the buffet.

“Are you here to bartender?” he said jokingly.

“Gosh no! For once I’ll be the one drinking.”

Donghae laughed, and poured a glass of punch.

“It’s good to see you Hae. How are you doing?”

“I’m good.”

“And how are things between you and my idiotic childhood friend?”

Donghae almost spilled his drink. He often forgot that Junsu was one of the rare persons to know about them. The brunet looked around the room and found Eunhyuk helping Kyuhyun set his computer on a high chair.

“Things are ok, I guess.”

His voice sounded bitter than he wanted it to, and Junsu stared at him with an amused smile. Immediately he explained himself.

“No, I mean things are good! It’s just that we’ve been busy lately and didn’t have much time to see each other.”

“And I guess Hyukjae doesn’t really show his affection, right?”

Donghae thought about the first kiss they shared, how Eunhyuk totally gave himself to him by confessing and how since then he would always be the one initiating things between them. No, he couldn’t say that he didn’t show affection.

“I guess I’m the one who’s frustrated, because I don’t know how to act when we’re in public. I can’t do what I want.”

“Sure you can.”

“I’m not sure he would appreciate it…”

“I’ve never seen Hyukjae so in love with someone. And I’m saying that to reassure you because I like you, I liked Boa too. But really, in all the years I’ve known him, I never saw it.”

A warm shiver ran down Donghae’s spine. He wanted to believe in Junsu’s words more than anything, because he had never felt something t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter