Twenty-eighth Move - The after shock

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Returning to the place where they were held and seeing Henry’s body again, just lying there in a pond of his own blood, shook Eunhyuk more than he had thought. But he had to explain to the others what happened; it wasn’t the time to break.

Taking a profound inspiration he showed his colleagues everything and explained every little detail since they went to talk to Changmin. Everyone listened to him in silence, even Heechul was quiet. Because of course, finding out that one of the most actives serial killers were one of them was quite shocking news. Everyone had gloomy faces, and for once Yesung wasn’t his usual cheery self. Putting in a bag the corpse of one of their dongsaeng wasn’t something they taught back at the police academy. Nothing justified what Henry was, or did, but they still pitied him…

Now their whole team was running around installing the crime scene and looking for clues. Heechul suddenly got closer to Eunhyuk and surprisingly put a hand on his shoulder. Then without a word he walked away. Eunhyuk was touched, even if surprised by the detective’s behavior. He knew it was a way to show him support and he appreciated it. Kangin came to him next.

“So you’re saying that someone shoot Henry by this small window?”

Eunhyuk nodded.

“It’s almost impossible to make that shot.” Leeteuk commented. “You have to be a hell of a shooter.”

The thin detective nodded again. He suddenly was feeling very tired, his brain couldn’t think about anything right now. Leeteuk noticed him totter.

“You should better go home and get some sleep. We’ll take care of everything here.”

Kangin agreed, but Eunhyuk couldn’t just go.

“I have somewhere I must go before heading home.” He turned to his blond sunbae. “Hyung, can you come with me?”

Surprised by the demand, Leeteuk agreed and then Eunhyuk went to find the other person he needed. Boa was still at the site, waiting outside the building and letting the police do their jobs.

“B. can you drop me off?”

Not asking him where they were going, the young lawyer drove the detective back to the prison he had left a few hours before. When they arrived in front of the gates, Leeteuk grabbed his arm, understanding why they were here.

“Are you sure you want to do it right now? It can wait…”

“He waited for 6 years.”

Then without any hesitation, Eunhyuk went back to the reception desk. The lady at the desk was surprised to see him back so soon, and maybe she was a bit taken aback by how he looked right now, but Leeteuk vouched for him and they were able to get in.

That’s how he found himself back in the interrogation room, in front of Changmin again, Boa and Leeteuk standing behind him.

“What do you want?” Changmin asked, in a bad mood. “Didn’t I betray my brother enough for you yet?”

 “We found Changsoo… He changed his name to Henry. After his military service he joined the forces, and worked as an officer back at my precinct. He was one of my hoobaes.”

Changmin’s eyes seemed to light up. To hear so many information about his lost brother, whom he didn’t had any news for so many years now, made him clearly happy.

“He always did dream to become a detective… Are you two close?” he asked, curious.

Eunhyuk nodded. “We were.”

Changmin suddenly frowned.

“Why do you keep talking about him in the past?”

The detective felt the two behind him lightly stir. Yes, the moment he dreaded had come, but he came here to confront it and no run away. Eunhyuk took a deep breath.

“Henry is dead…”

The air in the room froze. Changmin’s eyes widened, bit by bit, as he understood the other’s words. Then his reaction was fast. In a blink of an eye, Changmin crossed the space in between them and threw a punch right in Eunhyuk’s face. The thin man took it without a blink, but then the prisoner was on the table, his hands on the detective’s collar, shaking him.

“You killed him! You killed him!” he yelled again and again.

A prison guard appeared by the door behind him and ran to stop Changmin, while Leeteuk had reacted too and was trying to make him let go of Eunhyuk’s collar. But even when they succeeded, the young man kept kicking and screaming. Seeing him like this Eunhyuk had a sudden urge to cry. It wasn’t a very detective like reaction, but he knew what the young man was feeling right, oh too well… And it hurt him too… He couldn’t protect Henry he couldn’t keep his promise, he failed…

Changmin finally seemed to calm down, highly by the influence of the guard who threatened to bring him back to his cell. HE sat again in his chair and stared at Eunhyuk with contempt.

“I’m an officer of the law, I bring killers to justice I don’t do it myself?” Changmin said, in between his clenched teeth. “That’s what you told me. How dare you appear in front of me again after bluntly lying to my face?!”

“Detective Lee has nothing to do with Henry’s death…” Leeteuk tried.

But Eunhyuk stopped him, and shook his head, signifying him to not say anything.  He turned back to Changmin.

“I might not have pulled the trigger, but it’s the same as if I killed him. I was unable to protect him.”

“Why are you doing such sentiment?” Leeteuk asked suddenly annoyed. “He was a serial killer.”

“But he was before all a very sick kid.”

Changmin stayed quiet, still glaring at the detective. He clearly didn’t know how to react or even, who to be angry at.

“What do you want then? Did you just come here to tell me that?”

“I wanted you to hear it from me…”

“You told me, now you can go.”

“Just hear me out please…”

Changmin hesitated, and in the end just stayed silent, letting the detective speak. But instead, Eunhyuk turned to his ex-girlfriend.

“Can I use your prosecutor’s power?”

The woman became serious and professional all of the sudden. Eunhyuk invited her to sit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter