Fourth Move - Re-opening the Case

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk dropped another folder, heavily, on Donghae’s desk. The brunet just watched as the pile of brown folders grew bigger and bigger.

“Do I really have to read all of this?” Donghae asked, already depressed at the thought.

“Hey, you’re the new guy here, so you should catch up to our cases.” Yesung said.

Donghae threw him an unamused glance. He wanted to get rid of the “new guy” title as soon as possible.

“You don’t need to read everything in one go, just take your time.” Leeteuk said with a conciliating smiled, but yet again he added another folder at the pile.

“And be sure you know those cases by heart, you’re the analyst after all, and you should be the one knowing everything in all its minus details.”

“Yeah… that won’t be a problem…” he said under his breath.

It was his second day and Donghae was already crumbling with work. But well he knew that as the “new guy” he had to catch up. Unlike the day before, today, everyone around him was actively working, running everywhere around the room. Donghae didn’t really know what was going on but he guessed it was big for everyone to be so diligent. He decided to focus on his folders then.

A few hours later, as Donghae was deeply focused in the reading of one of the cases, suddenly a siren screamed around the room. He jumped on his seat surprised, but he saw that no one else was moved by it. They just started packing their things. Since Kyuhyun was the closest, he decided to ask him, what that was all about.

“What’s that siren?”

“They’re ready we can go up.”

“Go up to where?” Donghae asked, confused.

“The detectives don’t come to the NP. Now the real work is starting, rookie.”

Donghae nodded, regretting to have asked. Then he, Kyuhyun, Leeteuk, Yesung and Ryeowook took their respective folders and went up, the brunet following his sunbaes.

***

The next morning Eunhyuk woke up tired. Not because of his evening activities, but because he knew he’ll have a couple of things to take care of at work and the only thought of having to handle his boss and Heechul was already tiring. But at the same time he was excited. The murder, the day before, was his first real lead to find his sister’s killer in a long time. And no matter what his boss said, Eunhyuk was the one who knew the best this case, so Kangin would never leave him out of it…

***

“You’re out of it.”

“What?!”

Eunhyuk was in Kangin’s office and right now he was sure of only one thing: his boss had lost his mind.

“What are you talking about? You know there’s no one better than I for this case!”

“And I already told you that if you want in you’ll have to work with Heechul.”

“Fxxk Heechul!” Eunhyuk yelled in anger, kicking a chair.

“Language!” Kangin yelled back.

That calmed Eunhyuk a little. Seriously, be tight up like this made the dark haired boy so mad. But he knew it was useless to go head to head with Kangin, so he played his last card… begging.

“Hyung… you know what that case means to me.”

Kangin sighed and sat down on his chair.

“I know… but for once I can’t do anything for you, my hands are tight. If it really is a case of serial killing then we’ll need all the help we can get.”

Eunhyuk also sighed and sat.

“But Heechul? Really?”

“I’ll ask Hangeng to handle him.”

“No one can handle him…”

“That’s true.” Kangin said, letting out a small laugh. “But even so, please, try to make it work.”

His boss really didn’t leave him a choice. Almost imperceptibly the detective nodded and Kangin smiled at him.

“Come on, I’m sure it won’t be that bad.”

Eunhyuk highly doubted that. He had known Heechul since he first came to work in this precinct and already from the beginning, for some reason, the senior detective disliked Eunhyuk. And that dislike only grew as the young man started to make a name for himself, by being more efficient than his sunbae. Then once, one of Heechul’s cases was transferred to Eunhyuk, and this one, not happy at all, not only found a way to blew out the case but also made Eunhyuk be blamed for it… Since then, the two men hated each other. It was a stupid and childish behavior, Eunhyuk knew that, but it was like this and no other way. Kangin got up and went to open the door to his subordinate.

“Now come on, go prepare for the debriefing. I want to see everyone in the meeting room in 30mins.”

Annoyed, Eunhyuk got out of the office and went to his own desk, which was in the center of the main room. The room was composed of only 4 desks and a mini jail, where most of the time, drunken people were held there, waiting for them to sober up. Thankfully Heechul and Hangeng, who both had their desk not far away from his, weren’t there yet. He didn’t want to have to deal with them right now. About Hangeng, Heechul’s partner, Eunhyuk had nothing against him; they just didn’t really know each other, since Hangeng hardly spoke. The only thing Eunhyuk knew for sure about him was how much he was loyal to Heechul, something he really didn’t get…

The second Eunhyuk sat down he heard a voice coming from behind.

“Sunbae!”

He closed his eyes, wishing the voice was coming only from his imagination… Not him… not now…

“Sunbae! Sunbae! I was looking for you everywhere yesterday.”

Eunhyuk took a deep breath and turned to the young boy, trying hard to smile.

“Hey Henry. Sorry, yesterday was a bit hectic.”

“I know, I heard about the murder. But is it really the checkmate killer? Are you sure? You’re going to catch him this time aren’t you? Ha ha, of course you are!”

The boy didn’t leave him time to say anything and just answered his own questions. Henry was a hoobae officer who had gone out of the academy only 8 months earlier. He was very sweet and cute but… how could he say it… he had the tendency of being a bit overly enthusiastic. Which wasn’t a bad thing, but it could be tiring. His dream was to become a detective like Eunhyuk and since, the young boy followed him, saying he was his role model and example. Although Eunhyuk was flattered, he didn’t have time to lose with this…

“By the way I heard there’s a new analyst, have you met him? Seems like he is a big deal, they say he has some kind of super powers.”

“You shouldn’t listen to all those rumors.” said Sungmin, coming behind Henry.

Eunhyuk let out a relieved sigh. Saved by his partner.

“Oh Sungmin-sunbae, you’re here.” the young boy said, bowing.

“Yah Henry-ah, aren’t you ashamed to bother Hyuk like this? Don’t you know we have a big case to work on? You should let him work.”

Henry let out an embarrassed laugh.

“I’m sorry. I’ll go.” he turned to Eunhyuk, with a bright smile. “Sunbaenim, fighting!”

Then he went away with his goofy smile. As soon as he was gone Eunhyuk frowned to his partner.

“That was mean, Sungmin. You know he means well.”

“I know, I know, but it creeps me out sometimes how he stalks you.”

“He is a good kid.”

“Enough with Henry! Tell me how it went with Kangin.”

Eunhyuk told everything to his partner, and Sungmin was as happy as him about their partnership with Heechul, but he also knew it was the only way.

“Well at least he’s not totally cutting you out.” the blond tried to reassure his friend.

“And anyway, the most important

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter