Second Move - Introductions

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once they had the confirmation that it was indeed that same killer, like magic Sungmin’s phone started ringing. Seeing his partner’s face, Eunhyuk didn’t even need to ask who it was, and when Sungmin came back frowning, Eunhyuk was already taking off his gloves.

“It was the boss right?”

“He wants us back…”

Eunhyuk was already expecting so. Ryeowook turned to him, letting Yesung be all lovey-dovey with his new toy, his new dead body.

“Is something wrong?” he asked with a neutral face.

“Wait at least 30 minutes before coming back to the precinct.”

“That bad, huh? Good luck.”

Eunhyuk smirked. His colleague said that but with such a voice, like if he couldn’t care less, but that was how Wookie was. The thin man threw his used gloves on Yesung’s back, who didn’t even turn around.

“Take care of that psycho for us, ok? Don’t let him do any craziness…” he told Ryeowook.

The other young man showed his thumbs up and Eunhyuk followed Sungmin out of the house. Without even asking, his partner went directly to Eunhyuk’s car and got up in the driver’s seat.

“We are taking your car, I came with an officer.”

Once they were in the road to the precinct Eunhyuk dared to ask.

“What should I expect?”

“He was pissed.”

“Of course he would. Have you ever seen our boss other than pissed?”

“Not with you indeed.”

Eunhyuk slightly punched his friend, he was driving after all. A few minutes passed where they stayed silent, then, Eunhyuk cleared his throat.

“Thanks for calling me…”

“Sure… Now are you going to tell me what’s up with you?”

The dark haired man threw him a questioning look.

“Come on, you come up with that ty face and are going to tell me that nothing happened?”

Eunhyuk smiled inside. His friend knew him too well.

“I had a nightmare.” he simply said.

Sungmin stayed silent for a moment, again.

“Your sister?”

Eunhyuk nodded.

“It’s the same as always. I guess I still can’t forgive myself for not being there that day.”

“You know you couldn’t have done anything. If you were there you would also be dead by now and wouldn’t be able to chase that son of a !”

Eunhyuk nodded again. His friend was right, he knew it, but he still couldn’t stop resenting himself. The thing that was the most unsettling was the fact that he always had that nightmare about finding his sister’s body and the killer talking to him and taunting him, but the truth was that he never found or have seen his sister’s dead body…
Sungmin felt his frustration and put one of his hands on his shoulder.

“Drinks on me after work.”

The thin boy smiled, thankful and shoved his hand.

“Focus on driving first, you drunkard!”

Behind the car’s window the day was already pointing out. Eunhyuk didn’t realize time passed so quickly and it was already almost 8 am. After a few minutes they were at the precinct that, even in that early in the morning, was already active. As soon as Eunhyuk took a step in the main offices he could already hear the screams and yelling of Kangin, his boss. He was clearly having an argument with a fake platinum blond man, that seemed as angry as the boss, and behind him, arms crossed over his chest and leniently leaning on his desk, was his partner, watching the scene in silence. Others officers of the bureau, were vacantly doing their task, ignoring the scene, they were so used to it by now.

“We were supposed to be the first at the scene!” the blond yelled. “It’s our case he has no rights over it!”

“What am I supposed to do?! You should’ve been faster! I’m not going to reprimand him from doing well his job.” the boss snapped back.

The blond man was going to say something else when his partner stopped him and pointed with a head movement towards Eunhyuk.

“You’re already having a party without me?”

Seeing him, the blond thin man immediately transferred all his anger to him.

“You! You had no right to be at that crime scene! We were supposed to be the ones to go, if your little boyfriend there didn’t steal the info from us.” he said pointing at Sungmin behind Eunhyuk.

“Sorry to be more skilled sunbae.” Sungmin said.

“You little…!”

“Enough!” Kangin yelled. “Heechul back off! I’ll deal with them; you and Hangeng go to the crime scene, Yesung and Ryeowook are already there.”

Heechul continued glaring at Eunhyuk and Sungmin, until his partner, Hangeng came behind him and forced him to get out of the precinct. Once they were out of the room, Kangin pointed to a door in the back of the room.

“My office, now!”

Eunhyuk sighed in his mind. He barely woke up that he already was in trouble. With Sungmin, he followed his boss to his office. Kangin sat in his big chair and let out a sigh. He stayed silent for a few seconds where Sungmin and Eunhyuk didn’t even dare to breathe or sit down, before raising his eyes to his two detectives.

“Sungmin… You have 5 minutes to explain why you stole your sumbae’s case.”

“I didn’t steal it! The phone was ringing and I picked it up that’s all.”

Kangin, that seemed to be trying hard to keep his calm, hit his desk, palm open.

“The phone rang on Heechul’s desk! Heechul’s!!!! You had no right to pick it up and even less to go to the crime scene or call your little pal here!”

Sungmin stayed silent, he had nothing to say to defend himself, and especially he didn’t feel sorry for doing so to that Heechul brat. Kangin sighed again and massaged his temples, he finally had stopped yelling.

“Min you go apologize when Heechul’s back.” the blond was going to protest but Kangin’s stare made him shut up. “Now, please leave us, I have to talk to Eunhyuk.”

Giving his partner an encouraging look, Sungmin left the office. When he was gone Kangin invited the thin man to sit down, which he did.

“What the hell, Hyuk?! You know better than anyone how Heechul is, after that I’m the one having the headache.”

“I didn’t know it was his case.”

“You didn’t know…! Fine, let’s say it was Sungmin’s doing. Anyway you know you’ve been banned from any crime scene for at least one more month, so explain what were you doing there?”

Eunhyuk crossed his arms and leaned back on his chair, feeling the anger grow on him.

“That suspension was totally unfair! Just because of that small incident…”

“Small incident?! You broke the victim’s nose!”

“He wasn’t a victim; he had those 3 girls locked up in his basement for weeks, months! Imagine how they felt!” Eunhyuk protested.

“We didn’t have any proof against him at the time! And anyway that’s the problem with you… you let your emotions take control too easily. We can’t have that.”

“Come on, I’m your best detective here! It’s not Heechul and Hangeng that will bring you results.”

“Indeed, but the results aren’t everything.”

Eunhyuk frowned.

“Rules, Hyuk. The rules are here for something. And they follow it, that’s why they don’t bring me as much trouble as you do.”

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, and started sulking. He knew his boss was right, but he just couldn’t help it. He couldn’t stand seeing injustice it was for that reason too that he had become a cop. But mostly, he felt repressed with their rules and felt very powerless at times. And Kangin knew that better than anyone.

“Hyuk, listen…” Kangin started, with a sweet voice. “I know how you feel, truly. But I can’t remove the suspension if you keep behaving carelessly.”

The thin boy nodded, silently promising his boss that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter