Twenty-sixth Move - Unjust justice

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhyuk opened his eyes in a jerk. The wheel of the car blocked and he lost control of the car. Then everything came back to mind, the accident, he lost consciousness… Donghae! His first reflex was to look for the brunet, but as he tried to focus his eyes and see through his blurry vision, he realized he was in total darkness. He had no idea where he was… maybe he had been thrown out of the car and was further from it, but then how come he was still alive? With a groan he tried to get up. And that’s when he found out that his hands were tied up in front of him, with strong bonds. He managed to at least sit up, but then he felt a sharp pain in his head, and his ribs made him wince. That’s when he started noticing things… First, he felt that the ground under him was hard and cold, and that even if it was pitch dark, he couldn’t see the stars, which meant… he wasn’t outside.

Suddenly he heard something moving not so far away from him.

“Donghae?” he called with a small voice.

No answer, then he heard a groan. He tried again.

“Hae?”

“I’m here…”

Eunhyuk let out a relieved sign. At least he was alive.

“Are you ok? Where are you? I can’t see anything.”

“My shoulder is dislocated but I’ll live… How are you feeling? You were passed out when I pulled you out of the car.”

“You pulled me out? Then where are we?”

“I don’t know but it’s not good for us…”

Something in Donghae’s voice was trembling as if he was making an obvious effort to seem calm. And that alarmed Eunhyuk, he didn’t quite understand the brunet’s words but he trusted it. He tried moving towards where Donghae’s voice was coming from, even with his hands bound, and finally he felt something. When the brunet realized it was Eunhyuk next to him, he immediately took his hand, squeezing it hard, and crawled closer; his hands were also tied up. He was trembling under Eunhyuk’s fingers.

“What’s wrong?” he asked worried.

But the brunet didn’t answer. Not being able to do much more, the detective managed to passed his arms around his shoulders, being careful with the man’s collarbone, and Donghae curled up in his arms, putting his head on the crouch of Eunhyuk’s neck. He didn’t really realize how weird it could seem from the outside. I mean two grown up men in the arms of one another it was awkward. Then why did it felt so right? After all, he was wrong… it wasn’t another man in his arms, it was Donghae. Eunhyuk felt safe and at ease with the brunet so close. His breath on his skin, his heart pounding fast against his, his intoxicating scent, Eunhyuk loved everything. He caressed the other’s hand with his thumb, whispering that everything would be fine. He repeated the gesture, until he felt Donghae’s body relax under his fingers.

“I was really scared for you…” Donghae finally managed to say. “If you had d… I don’t know what I would’ve done…”

At this moment he would’ve given anything to see Donghae’s face…

“I’m alright. See? I’m right here.”

Eunhyuk hugged him tighter, burying his face in the other’s hair. Right now he should’ve been focusing on his surroundings, on the situation they were in, but all he could think about was how precious this moment with Donghae was…

Suddenly a door opened, letting a ray of light come in the room – because yes they were in a huge room – and the lights above their heads illuminating everything.

It took him a second for his eyes to get used to the sudden brightness, but when it did he was finally able to see where they were. Like he said the room was huge, with high ceilings, the walls around them were white while the ground was made of a cold grey cement. It almost seemed like a floor of an abandoned building, if it wasn’t for the absence of windows, except, a small opening highly situated. There was nothing in the room, it was empty, at the exception of two columns at the center, Donghae and Eunhyuk, and…

“How cute you two look.” the newcomer said, with a disgusting smirk.

“Henry…” Eunhyuk let out in a whisper.

Yes, because the Checkmate killer, the one who had been toying with him for the past years, was none other than his cute little dongsaeng, Henry.

His smirk, changed into a smile, a crazy pleased smile.

“Just hearing you say my name like that gives me shivers all over, hyung.”

Eunhyuk rose, as if he was going to get up to attack the boy.

“You son of a…”

But before he could take a step, Henry took out a gun from his belt, and pointed it at the detective.

“Tsss, tsss, tsss… Hold your horses. If I didn’t tie you guys up to a chair, it’s because I didn’t think it would be necessary, now would it?”

Eunhyuk glared at him, with all the hated he was feeling right now, but that only seemed to make Henry even more pleased. Powerless, and remembering that behind him, his partner was hurt, Eunhyuk sat again next to Donghae, waiting for an opportunity. Being sure that the detective wouldn’t try anything more, Henry pulled out a chair that was lying on a corner of the room, and sat in front of the two men, still holding the gun in his hand. The boy let out a long sigh before smiling at them.

“I’m happy we can finally talk in the open like this! I’ve waited so long for you to figure it out… I was kind of disappointed you needed Hae’s help for that.”

“Don’t call him like that!” Eunhyuk spitted.

“Why not? Aren’t we all family here?”

“In your twisted mind only…”

Henry put a hand on his heart, falsely vexed.

“Outch, stop you’ll hurt my feelings.”

But the smirk on his face completely contradicted his words. Suddenly his attention switched to Donghae who had moved a bit next to him. Henry shook his head.

“If you’re looking for your badges with the tracker let me tell you that Kyuhyun will find it at the bottom of a lake, together with your phones.”

The detective slapped himself mentally. He didn’t even think about that. True that last time they were kidnapped, Kyuhyun had put a tracker in their badges. But Henry saved them with the rest of the group and he remembered very well about that detail. Now they really didn’t have a chance for their colleagues to help them. Never before did Eunhyuk wished to see Hangeng and Heechul so much! Moving to search for his badge, Donghae started wincing, which didn’t go unnoticed.

“That looks like it hurts…” Henry said pointing at Donghae.

Indeed the brunet was trying hard to hide it, but his dislocated shoulder seemed to make him surfer. Eunhyuk wished he could do something for his partner but his whole attention was turned to the Henry. The boy got up, and made a dismissive move with the hand holding the gun.

“Eunhyuk-hyung move a bit, please.”

The detective didn’t understand what he wanted… It was only when he repeated himself, this time a little bit less kindly, that Eunhyuk finally crawled a bit to the side.

“Now be a good hyung and stay where you are. If you move I’ll kill him.”

Henry went to Donghae, who tried to crawl back, but the youngest anticipated it and held him still.

“I can put it back but it’ll hurt.”

Eunhyuk finally understood what Henry wanted to do. But why the hell was he helping them? Donghae threw an interrogative look at Eunhyuk, of course neither of them trusted Henry, but right now he couldn’t really decline. Taking their silence for a yes, the boy grabbed Donghae’s shoulder with a hand and the other he put it on his collarbone. Donghae grit his teeth and with a neat and quick move, they heard a bone cracking sound. Donghae let out a groan, when his bone went back to place.

“It’s done. No need to thank me.” Henry said going back to his chair.

Eunhyuk got back to his place next to Donghae and asked him silently with a look if he was alright. The brunet nodded.

“You know, there’s something you guys don’t get… I never wanted to hurt any of you. I mean Sungmin-hyung was a stupid accident.”

“That was no accident! You knocked him out!”

“I did, but only because he was going to find my gifts for you! And I couldn’t let him…”

“Sora’s pictures…” Donghae whispered.

It was as if, now that his shoulder was back to place he could breathe again, and was more alert to what was happening.

Eunhyuk, he, still couldn’t believe that it was Henry… He was so nice, and so full of dreams. How did he turn this way? The image and the story Changmin had told them back at the prison about his little brother Changsoo seemed to be far away from the boy he had in front of him. But now that his mask had fallen, he could see something in his eyes that left no doubt about whom he really was.

“And what about our car? Was it an innocent accident?”

Henry lost his smirk, and with his serious face Eunhyuk could finally see how dangerous he was.

“That was on purpose, but you kind of deserved it.”

Eunhyuk threw him a questioning look.

“Nobody touches my big brother.”

That was an honest and clear threat.

“When you went to see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter