Sixteenth Move - Stain

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Later on Eunhyuk finally got to go home. When he got there the lights were already on and he was surprised to find Boa reading a file, glasses falling over her eyes, comfortably sitting on his couch.

“Hey. Did we have something planned tonight?” Eunhyuk asked, pecking her lips.

“Nope. But I wanted to see you, I thought that maybe we could enjoy a good dinner together.”

The detective winced and went to his room to get changed into something more comfy. His girlfriend followed him and leaning on the door, smiled at him.

“It’s been a while since we had some alone time together.”

“Right… But tonight is not really a good night.”

The woman frowned, and again Eunhyuk winced. He didn’t want to kick her out, but what he and Hae had to do tonight was really important, and she couldn’t be here for it. He didn’t want to offend her…

“I hoped we could’ve talked…” she said.

He got closer and pecked her cheek.

“Rain check I promise.”

“Yeah, I already heard that before…”

She really seemed hurt and suddenly weary. The woman went back to the living room and started picking up her stuffs.

“Baby, don’t be mad at me I just have a lot of work and a lot going on right now.”

“I got it.”

But even if it was said in a neutral tone, she didn’t seem fine with it at all. Nonetheless she finished packing her stuffs and putting her coat on she finally turned to him.

“I’ll leave you to your job tonight, but really promise to find some time for me. I really wish we could talk.”

“I promise.” he said, with the intention of fulfilling his word.

At that exact same moment the doorbell rang. Knowing exactly who it was, Eunhyuk went to open the door on the brunet.

“Hey, I brought chicken.” Donghae said, showing the plastic bags on his hands.

Before he could say anything Boa appeared behind him.

“Oh it’s Donghae.”

The brunet seemed surprised to see her here, and bowed deeply before the woman.

“Good evening. I’m sorry I didn’t know you two had plans tonight.”

“We don’t.” she said, coldly but with a smile. “Come in.”

The brunet bowed again before complying. The two of them let way for the analyst to come in, and Boa went to the door. After putting on her shoes she turned to Eunhyuk who hadn’t moved.

“Don’t forget your promise.”

He nodded. She leaned in and pecked his lips, then whispered “I love you”. But Eunhyuk couldn’t say anything back. First there was someone else in the room, Donghae was just behind them, and it was embarrassing. And second because he usually didn’t say it back. And the woman didn’t seem to be expecting it.

“Well, have fun, boys.”

Then she turned around and went out of the apartment. Eunhyuk stayed a moment there, staring at the door, and wondering if he didn’t make a mistake right now. But then Donghae’s voice brought him back to reality.

“Did I come at a bad moment?”

That sentence seemed awfully ambiguous… Or maybe was it just him… He turned around and pushed the brunet to the living room.

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s work!”

Donghae put the plastic bags of food on the living room’s coffee table. Eunhyuk looked through the bags.

“You didn’t have to bring food you know, I could’ve cooked.”

“Well I thought that since you invited me, the least I could do is bring something for dinner.”

Eunhyuk frowned.

“You know it’s not a social call right? I called you here to work, nothing more.”

As soon as the sentence crossed his lips, Eunhyuk regretted it. He was suddenly worried that he could’ve vexed the young man. Of course the thin detective had no need to be so rude, but for some reason he felt the need to put some distance between him and that intriguing man. But the brunet didn’t seem touched by his tone and instead he shrugged.

“Yeah, well we can work eating right? Why else would you invite me anyway?”

It was a good point indeed. Now that it was clear, Eunhyuk felt more at ease. These past days, he found himself dreading the brunet’s reactions, but always the other reassured him. Donghae was an easy living person, which was a big change from the usual people that surrounded Eunhyuk.

“Let’s review everything.”

The detective went to his room to bring back a white board on wheels, which he often used for cases. Then, while he was settling in the living room, he noticed Donghae smiling.

“What is it?”

“You’re such a professional.” the brunet said jokingly.

But it didn’t make him laugh, he just realized something that he wasn’t sure to be happy about it. Since when were they so close that Donghae started joking with him? He frowned and ignored the other’s comment to focus on the white board, wondering what to write.

“So what do we got so far?”

“Let’s start by listing everything we know about the cases.”

“You’re the one with hypermnesia.” Eunhyuk said handing him the pen.

The brunet went to the board, while Eunhyuk sat on the couch, getting a piece of chicken on his way. They then started listing everything that was relevant to the cases, listing on one side the Classic killer’s murders and on the other the ones of the Checkmate killer. After a couple of minutes they had everything listed.

“The murders… the MO and the victims are pretty similar.” Eunhyuk commented.

“Remember you said that the Checkmate killer told you he knew the one who murdered your sister? Well, I don’t think he only knows him, I think he is his pupil.”

“So what, the Classic killer took him in and taught him how to kill?”

Donghae nodded. “That’s my theory.”

What the brunet was saying, wasn’t stupid… in the light of how the murders were done, that theory seemed to be the most logic one. But then why would the Checkmate killer wanted to report his master? But that was another question. The most important thing right now was to first find out who could be the Checkmate killer, Eunhyuk would think about his motivations afterwards.

“By the way…” Donghae started. “In all that confusion I didn’t have time to tell you…”

“Tell me what?”

Donghae then, while eating dinner, started telling him about what happened after he invited him for dinner, how he went to Zhoumi’s office, what he found there, the boy’s reaction and attitude, and the conversation he had heard after that between the Chinese man and their young hacker.

“You think one of them is the killer?”

“I don’t know. On one hand it’s a bit too obvious a Chess book, anyone could have it, but again you didn’t see his eyes. Zhoumi was terrifying…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter