Thirty-first Move - Back to the NP

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When they arrived at the precinct, Donghae stopped a moment at the door, observing his fellows policemen work. Eunhyuk turned to him confused.

“What is it?”

“Our job for the most part, but I still really like.”

The detective next to him smirked.

“I agree. My stubbornness wouldn’t fit anywhere else anyway.”

“So true.”

They walked then to Eunhyuk’s desk where Sungmin, in the desk in front of them, was dozing off on a pile of papers.

“So that’s how you catch a killer?!” Eunhyuk said hitting the table loud enough for the blond man to jump in surprise.

“Geeeez! What the hell Hyuk!” Sungmin complained, when he recognized his friend. “I thought you were Kanging.”

“SUNGMIN!” a yell.

Kangin’s voice echoed in the whole precinct and he came out of his office. He passed the two me, as if he hadn’t seen them and smacked another paper on Sungmin’s desk.

“Another report came in! Take care of it!”

“Yeah, yeah…” the blond man muttered in between yawns.

“Where the hell is Kyuhyun?”

“Reviewing the cameras footages.”

“Good.”

Kangin turned around ready to storm out, when he stopped finally noticing Eunhyuk and Donghae. He sighed.

“You two really can’t keep off work, can you? It’s alright we need all hands on deck right now.”

“We have a lead about the Classic killer.” Donghae said.

“Of course you do…” Kangin muttered. “See that with Heechul.”

And then he went away in a hurry. Donghae turned to Sungmin, frowning.

“I thought you were the one to cover the killer?”

“Once the nerds – no offense Donghae - finished with the ballistics we switched to missing Siwon team.”

They both nodded. Of course Hangeng and Heechul were the most fitted to look into a serial killer’s case. Donghae turned to Eunhyuk and put a hand on his shoulder.

“You should go see Heechul-sunbae and tell him what we found.”

Eunhyuk winced, not too delight by the idea. Even if things seemed better between them, Heechul was still Heechul. That’s when the detective realized his partner’s words.

“You’re not coming?”

“I think it’s time for me to go back to the NP, after all I’m a nerd too.” he winked at Sungmin. “And I think I can be of some help to Kyu.”

Sungmin got back to his reports while Eunhyuk accompanied Donghae to the NP’s red door. The brunet turned to his partner and gave him an encouraging smile.

“Don’t worry about it, we’ll find Siwon. And we’ll prove his innocence.”

Eunhyuk looked left to right, making sure there was no one else and then gave the brunet a light peck on the lips.

“I trust you.”

Then wishing him “fighting”, Eunhyuk went back. Donghae took a deep breath and then opened the door to the Nerd Pit. And that name never fitted better this place than right now. Leeteuk was back to his usual spot behind his desk, sleeping, while the rest of the room was agitated energetically. Yesung and Ryeowook were arguing about something, like always, Zhoumi’s door was surprisingly open and he could see the Chinese man working on his microscopes. And finally Kyuhyun was behind computer, his glasses sliding down his nose. Donghae couldn’t help but smile. It seemed ages since he came down here, and he had to admit he missed it. His first day here seemed very far away now…
As soon as Yesung noticed the analyst, he happily exclaimed (so loud that it woke up Leeteuk), and came to hug Donghae. He was surprised, but everyone warmly greeted him as if they welcomed an old friend. Even Zhoumi peeked outside and smiled upon seeing him. After he reassured everyone that he was fine, he turned to Kyuhyun.

“Are you looking into Siwon’s disappearance?”

“Yeah. Look at this.” the boy pointed to his screen.

What Donghae saw was quite surprising... In two different angle of the footage he could see Siwon pacing around in the meeting room upstairs, next to him was his bog brother Donghwa. The time code on the up right corner of the video was showing 4am. The analyst remembered what his brother said before, that after receiving a call from the precinct they both came down here to wait for some new about Donghae and Eunhyuk who were at that time kidnapped by Henry. The time code then changed to 6AM and this time showed Siwon on the precinct’s parking lot. The lawyer was looking from left to right as if he was waiting someone. Then finally the person he was waiting for, arrived. The only problem was that even if in the camera you could see a clear shadow and that Siwon was obviously talking to someone, that person was perfectly hidden behind a car.

“It’s like he knows exactly where the camera is and how to avoid them.” Kyuhyun said voicing his own thoughts.

“Did you try from another angle?”

“Yeah, it’s the same we can’t see his face or anything meaningful.”

That same method was very familiar. Henry did the same thing when he dropped the package before. But Henry was from the police, he knew where the cameras were… Was the Classic Killer a policeman too? Nothing in his profile suggested he was though… Then suddenly in the video Siwon was knocked out and dragged away.

Then suddenly in the video Siwon was knocked out and dragged away. The footage stopped here.

“At least we know now that he is not the Classic Killer.”

“Because you doubted him?” Donghae asked surprised.

“I never really knew the guy, and let’s say that after our last surprise I prefer being cautious in the blind faith thing.”

Donghae could understand his attitude, after discovering such an ugly side of someone that is close to you and that you trust, it’s hard to believe again. Since Henry’s death, Donghae hadn’t had the chance to stop and think about how his colleagues were feeling about it. And he could read in Kyuhyun’s face that the boy was deeply affected by it more than he let know. The brunet put a hand on the hacker’s shoulder, sole act of support he could give his dongsaeng right now. He focused on work again.

“Can you go back a bit?”

Kyuhyun rewind the footage and when Donghae saw what he wanted he yelled “stop”.  

“Look.” he said pointing at the screen, in Siwon’s hand. “Those are probably the CK files he took from the archives.”

“Why did he take it? You think he wanted to review the case or something?”

“Seems like he is giving it to the person hiding.”

Donghae thought hard about it. A bunch of theories were flying in his head right now. Admi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter