Twenty-second Move - Rest

Chess Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhyuk couldn’t believe that their only witness was dead. Not only that that but it complicated their case against the mafia too. He was so frustrated right now that he was about to burst. He should’ve known, he could’ve prevented it! And now they had to explain everything to their boss. Feeling his distress Donghae took things in hand. They all sat in the interrogation room and the analyst told everything to Kangin since the beginning.

“So the killer is from the police.” Kangin said in deep thought. “It makes sense.”

The man didn’t seem surprised; on the contrary it was as if he was also thinking about that from the beginning.

“Do you have any specific suspects?”

Donghae threw a glance at Eunhyuk who shook his head.

“We are working on it.”

“I understand why you kept everything a secret but now you should make it an official case.”

“And alert the killer, what a good idea.” Eunhyuk said bitterly.

Kangin frowned and the detective remembered that he wasn’t talking to a friend but a superior right now and his tone really wasn’t appropriate. But honestly he couldn’t care less. Donghae tried to ease the atmosphere.

“Let us work on it in secret for now, in return we’ll report everything to you.”

Kangin thought about it then nodded.

“But I can’t let Lu Hyo’s murder go unpunished. Being a criminal or not doesn’t change the fact that within our walls he should be protected.”

“Who brought you the cup he drank in?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I did…” Kangin sighed. “I poured some water back in the kitchen, and I must’ve left the cup alone for a second, enough for someone to drop poison in it.”

 Which meant that it could really be anyone… Eunhyuk was ready, he was up to interrogate every single policeman in the precinct to find someone suspicions. Because he felt that the killer was starting to become sloppy and it was his chance. But Kangin had other plans for him. He let out a long sigh and leaned against the chair.

“I think there’s nothing left for you guys to do here…  You had a hard night, go home and rest.”

Eunhyuk was about to argue but his boss cut him.

“That’s an order! And I don’t wanna see you here tomorrow! Take the day off.”

“There’s no time for this!” Eunhyuk complained.

“You’ll take the time.”

Kangin got up and turned to Donghae.

“Make sure he go home and stays there.”

Donghae nodded while Eunhyuk mumbled some insults under the breath. He was being treated like a child and he hated that. But he also knew that Kangin was right. His body was at its limit and he was useless in his current state, he needed rest. Just when he was about to get out, Kangin e last time to Eunhyuk.

“By the way, you should call and talk to Leeteuk, he is pretty depressed…”

Then he left room and the detective got up to do the same.

“You don’t need to come with me, I promise I’ll rest.” he told Donghae.

But the brunet wasn’t going to let him off the hook so easily.

“I told Kangin that I would so I will. And someone has to make sure you don’t have a concussion or something like that.”

Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. It was the first time he felt such authority coming from the brunet. He knew that it was useless to try talking him out of it. In silence they left the precinct. Donghae took the wheels not letting Eunhyuk drive and soon he pulled the car in front of Eunhyuk’s apartment. Arriving home the detective went straight to the kitchen to drink some water. Behind him Donghae seemed suddenly uncomfortable, losing all his confidence from earlier.

“Maybe you don’t want me here… I can totally understand… But you shouldn’t be alone, should I call Boa?”

“Even if you call her she won’t come.”

Donghae threw him a questioning look.  It wasn’t as if he wanted to keep it a secret, everyone would know sooner or later…

“We broke up.” he simply said.

Donghae looked surprised then something else crossed his eyes, joy? Or maybe something closer to hope? Eunhyuk didn’t have the time to identify it that the brunet looked down.

“I’m sorry to hear that…”

And he didn’t say or ask anything more. That was one of the reasons Eunhyuk was liking the brunet more and more, he wasn’t as intruding as the usual people around him.

“Maybe you want to be alone?” Donghae asked timidly, totally contradicting himself.

Eunhyuk stared at the moment for a long moment. He felt as if he had spent an eternity with the brunet, and honestly he hadn’t had enough of him yet. Eunhyuk was a loner since always, and even if he liked people he would soon get bored to be with them and would feel the need to be alone. But it wasn’t the case with Donghae. On the contrary his presence soothed him. To think that he hated the brunet a few months back was almost ridiculous. Not letting his trouble heart show, the thin man ruffled Donghae’s hair.

“Earlier you didn’t seem to leave me a choice. Now you hate to take responsibility for me.”

Then without waiting for an answer or a reaction, Eunhyuk went straight to his bathroom, dreaming of a good shower. Once he was done he finally could take a look at himself in the mirror. It wasn’t pretty to see. His face was swollen, even if he put ice on it, and he could see his cheeks slowly turning violet. His lips were cut and the wound on his forehead seemed indeed deep, as the brunet said earlier. He had a couple of contusions on the rest of his body, and all of it was sore. Eunhyuk took a deep inspiration but regretted it immediately when his ribs ached. He finished getting dressed and got out of the bathroom. He didn’t know how long he had stayed in there, but suddenly he remembered that he had left his partner alone without any regard. To his surprise he found Donghae in the kitchen and a strong scent of food floated in the room.

“What are you doing?’ Eunhyuk asked, going in.

Donghae jumped around, surprised.

“I’m sorry, I saw you had some stuffs left in your fridge so I thought I could cook.”

Eunhyuk stared intensely at the brunet.

“Are you my girlfriend of something?”

Donghae chocked, turning red as a tomato. The detective was satisfied with his reaction because he had to admit he had said that by pure provocation. When Hae was able to get back some capacity he frowned and turned to back to his pans.

“I used to cook a lot for my brother; I don’t see what’s wrong with that.”

“Talking about your brother, won’t he be worried not to see you home?”

“I already called him.”

Deciding to quit teasing the man, Eunhyuk sat at the kitchen table.

“I feel a bit jealous of you.” he said.

The brunet threw him a questioning glance.

“The relationsh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter